+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Hybrid Minivan US Availability?

A few facts about the Estima Hybrid;
    The fuel economy for the average person is NOT 40 MPG, Look at about 25 to 30 for Suburban driving. If you do short trips (under 10 mins), expect around 10 kpl (metric is easer for me as display is in metric so you will have to convert).
    Once it warms up you can get around the 12kpl to 14kpl on a trip (100kph) as long as the road is reasonably flat. I have noticed if you can draft behind a rig it goes up to 16 to 18 kpl (2 seconds behind). Best fuel economy speed is around 60 kph, it then goes up to 18 kpl.
    I have not been able to Pulse & glide it. For some reason it wouldn't do it.
    It has lots of room for the passaengers but not too much trunk space. This is due to the battieries beening under the rear seat. The rear seat can only tilt forward (Not slide, although the 2006 one can due to the batteries being under the dash).
    I am pleased with it as the old Estima was only getting 6 kpl around town and 8.5 kpl on a trip.
    I wouldn't import one into the USA for these reasons;
    Light beams will shine the wrong way (you will have to change them,
    Spare parts will be 0
    Toyota will not suport them as they will have to get the Estima software to Dianostic it (7 computers in it) and I can't see them doing that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I am leasing a sienna right now and it has fairly great fuel economy for its size. Averaging 18-20 MPG per tank. On long drives fully loaded with people and stuff, it managed to average at 24 MPG which is pretty impressive in my book.

My highlander hybrid gets the same mileage on similar 24-25 MPG on long trips but each tank averages 27-28 MPG.

By the time my sienna lease is up, it will be just the right time to hybrid estima.

Well crap!

I just noticed the change to the 2008 on the Sienna hybrid. I talked to my local Toyota dealer and they said don't hold your breath on that either.

I can get 2 more years out of my Accord, I think. Then I have to buy something. Hope it will be a hybrid van.

Are you listening Toyota???

I might know why they are hesitant to sell them in the US...base starting cost would be about $31,127 and the top model is running about $38,298 plus delivery.

I pulled the specs and costs from http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/news/06/0612_2.html

I want a hybrid minivan too

The only company that can bring a hybrid minivan to the market ASAP is Toyota. We should all drive into Toyota dealerships with our old Toyota or brand new Honda telling them we refuse to buy another Toyota before they bring the SH (Sienna hybrid) to the US they have the Estima & the Alphard in Japan, Y R we 2nd class

Lets see,

A massive hole in the market, huge demand, and the product already exists. How could Toyota screw this up? I'd buy one tomorrow.

Listen Toyota!!!!

If I could get a AWD Hybrid Minivan at a decent price, I'd sell my Honda Odyssey in a heart beat.

Chevy Tahoe

Looks like Chevy is going to be my next Hybrid. I checked and the first 6 adult hybrid is likely to be the Tahoe, and I know from my Aunt who owns one, that you can fit 6-7 adults easy in it.

It should end up getting around 25 mpg. Best right now is the Sienna at 22 mpg. I think GM will be a lot more aggressive about getting a hybrid to market than Toyota will, since GM is in crisis mode right now.

An added bonus will be that it can run E85 which they are selling down the street. That combined with the 25 mpg should mean that my oil consumption will down to about 60 mpg which is what I'm at in my prius right now!

Dan - <11011011> - Compare to - '96 MX-6 - & - '02 Odyssey @ EPA's MyMPG database

If you all aren't too stuck on hybrids, rumors are that Honda may put their upcoming clean diesel engine in a mini-van for the US. It should easily match a hybrid mini-van in MPG... but again, that still won't be for a couple years...