+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Hybrid Minivan US Availability?

Another me too for this list.

Even though it may or may not make financial sense to buy a hybrid I want one so that I can do *something* to decrease our reliance on foreign oil.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

if the vans arocking - don't come knocking !

A Hybrid or diesel minivan would be nice. i believe that there is a market for viechles that get better mpg.

and me to the list for a hybrid minvan--but it wont happen tomorrow sadly. I refuse to BUY anything from the BIG three. yeah, I know they WILL go bankrupt before I do and thats WHOSE fault? they had their chance 20 years ago before their collusion with BIG OIL.
    they had their chance to do us all right and the environment and didnt, instead chose collusion with BIG OIL and politicos. they got their profits making BIG ol' SUVs for so long, you can stick a fork in it if Getty is right is right and gas hits 5 dollars a gallon.
    does anyone see where this is going? we have all frustratedly waited for over a decade and still nothing has happened. Car companies have limped to the finish line with a crappy product and promises. Maybe the oil companies will buy the car companies, they fed the monster, now live with it forever.

Our family requirements are for a hybrid minivan with 4WD. Why can't Toyota or Honda deliver what the market wants? We've given up on Detroit. I just noted that a company called Energy Conversion Devices in Ohio has just announced in California that they have perfected the technology for a Hydrogen hydrate Prius that has a 200 mile range. You go the the hydrogen station and have this hydrogen powder put into your gas tank. The car uses electricity to heat a small poriton of it to convert it into hydrogen gas which is then burned in the engine. You have no bulky hydrogen tanks on the car.

I've looked through all these questions that people are asking, why not a hybrid minivan? I have long wondered this myself, why has the industry not realized the advantage of the so called "minivan" versus car, thruck and the other types of transportation that they offer. I've used nothing but a minivan for ten years and would consider nothing else. I can haul material in it if needed and it has good seating capacity, a car truck combination in my opinion. To have a hybrid minvan would be a BIG plus but I suppose that it will be offered by some other manufacturer other than our own. WHY???? Are our CEO's and his officers too busy counting their money to get involved with common sense? Are they more interested in selling oil along with our govenment? That's what it looks like from here. The "grant" monies offered for research are peanuts in respect to what we give to Haliburton in one day. NUTS.

I wonder if instead of (or until) a hybrid minivan, Toyota might consider following Honda's lead and put the cylinder shut-down technology that Honda has in the Odyssey. Drop from 6 to 3 cylinders when not needed (like cruising on the hwy). Does anyone have that level trim Odyssey that they can talk to re: it's mileage?

I am waiting for the hybrid minivan, too. I don't need a big one. The size of 98 sienna is good for us. So, if possible, I would like to import the current Japanese version of 4wd hypbrid. Am I allow to import one? My 98 sienna has almost 100,000 miles on it. It is still running like new. The engine and transmission are smooth and quiet like new. The gas-milage is around 17 mile per gallon mostly city drive (22-26 when new). But we need a all wheel minivan!!! I am attracted to the FJ Crusier. However, the gas milage is poor on a SUV in general to begin with... then, it gets worse later.

If any way, I could import one hybrid minivan with all wheel drive from Japan?

I just spoke with Carson Toyota rep whose webpage speaks about the Estima and another possible Toyota hybrid minivan - she says they are smaller than the Sienna, and don't have much power -- they are not planning on release of a hybrid minivan any time soon - several years away still. I am on the verge of getting the 4wd hybrid highlander w/ 3rd row seating, but it is in no way as comfortable as a minivan - getting in the 3rd row seat is very awkward.

I think the auto industry is way behind the ball on this. All the parents with young families I know want a hybrid minivan.

I have to agree with a previous commenter that part of the problem is America's lust for power, as it were. I just don't really need 250+hp in my minivan. I don't need a minivan that sprints from 0-60 in 8 seconds (this is what my 1993 MR2 Turbo - which still gets an avg of 25mpg - is for). Maybe one day, I'll be hauling around 6 200lb men and pining for more power, but until that day, I'd be just as content to drive a less powerful, more fuel efficient minivan. If it's a hybrid that pollutes less, all the better.

Hybrid minivans have "fleet sales" written all over them. Can you imagine the fuel savings in NYC rush hour traffic?