+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Hybrid Minivan US Availability?

Me too. The only reason I'm holding back on the van for my family of 5 is because there is no hybrid van. I need a hybrid van even if I have to pay $10k more.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I see a whole lot of talk in this thread about how interested we all are in buying a hybrid mini-van, but what I see lacking is feedback from the automakers, especially Honda, who we know sells the Estima Hybrid internationally. Has anyone contacted Honda and gotten their reason for not selling them in the US? I am about to write Honda and will be sure to post the feedback I get. Honda is a very good company and there has to be a very solid reason they chose not to sell Hybrid in the US. Pure speculation here, but suspect they have done market research and it shows there is not enough interest, or possible the US Government is doing something to discourage import.

Anyway, I am done talking and am ready to take action!! I will be back with feedback !

I live in western Canada where the price of gas keeps creeping up.I will wait for the hybrid minivan, it is the only woth while purshase for my family of six.Its hard to wait when you know that the technology is out there,but not in your market place.

Toyota and Honda,one of you step up to the plate and set the standard for hybrid minivans.

i called that number, 800-go-toyota (468-6982), and got an add for a 900 pay number!

what's the deal?

I would buy one too, like many of you. I was actually ready for a hybrid minivan over a year ago ...

Technologically, there should be NO problem, as Toyota proved it with its hybrid minivans for year.

It is extremely strange that there is still NO such offering in North America. What are they hiding?

well, I put my $ where my mouth was, and I've bought an estima off the Japanese auction, should be here in NZ in about 4 weeks or so. Hope it goes I can't wait to play with it!

Harry machiela
    Napier
    NZ

Well just like the readers of this thread, I've read a lot about hybrids in the last month or two. Word is that hybrids make up about 2% of US sales, and most of the automakers (US and Japan) see the US hybrid market as a test market, so they aren't shipping many cars here. That keeps sales suppressed, making the condition cyclic.

Basically I think that we will be in this state until we and our neighbors all drive hybrids. The fools buying up HumV's are polluting the American marketing data. On my suburban street there are two HumV's and not a hybrid in sight.

Dan <11011011> - http://screamingmonkeys.blogspot.com

I would only buy one if it were a large minivan. Most minivans are too small for me. I drive a VW Eurovan. I'm looking forward to the 2007/2008 update for the Eurovan. The last year VW made vans was in 2003. I really have no options to purchase another van the same size as mine unless I go with a full size van, which to me have a commercial drive feel and a contractor look. Price isn't an option. If I could import the Alphard Hybrid then I would if I could keep the warranty, but that isn't an option. I believe BMW or Mercedes is coming out with a large minivan in 2007 or 08. I usually buy a new van every 3 years, usually VWs, but now I have no options. Toyota, Honda and the rest are too small and those that are bigger look like I just got off a job site. A hybrid van would be ideal. I spend entirely too much time at the pump. I don't mind paying for the gas, but it would be nice to not have to visit the pump so often. Personally, I don't really care about the environment, but I would pay about $10k more for a hybrid for the sake of having battery banks and not having to visit the pumps as often. I get around 17-21 mpg depending on where I am driving. Another issue, is I have no idea how safe my van is because the nhtsa nor the european organization has not tested the vehicle. That is another issue, but all the minivans are just too mini for me. So I couldn't buy this Sienna hybrid thing, but if you came out with that Toyota Alphard Hybrid even for $55k, then I'd get it in a heart beat. But they won't bring a van that expensive, nobody has, because vans are for soccer moms who are supposedly frugile. The MicroBus was going to be great, but they decided to not do that either. Nobody wants to take a risk in the auto industry when it comes to vans. To me they are all the same. I do like the Honda Odessey, but it is too small. The tire/wheel safety feature is nice. I have had some tire blow outs and it's scary. The cylinder shut off is neat, but I would prefer a hybrid specifically for the 110volt battery bank. The only van that looks remotely to mine is that new Dodge International with the mercedes engine, but I then look like a ups vehicle. I may end up going that route. I'm not sure I can deal with waiting for a new vehicle in 2008. I might be able to hold off for another year and a half, but I need a new van every few years. There's not much out there other than tiny minivans.

I work for a honda dealership. At this time there is no solid committment for a hybrid van however it is under consideration for 2008-2009.
    Part of the reason you do not see more hybrid is because honda corp just doesn't make much money on them and they are still somewhat unproven for service history in any large numbers. After 5 years or so of service data I think they will have more of a comfort level.

I was interested by the September 07 post about the Sienna sharing an engine with the Highlander. Sounds like a business opportunity for someone to convert some Siennas. I'd pay for one, and I have a friend who would, too. I have similar thoughts as many other posts. I have 3 kids who are getting big, and I need to cart them around along with friends, gear, etc. There are just not good choices if you need a vehicle with a capacity of 7-8 people. If anyone can find someone who can do a convert, count me in!