+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Hybrid Minivan US Availability?

Somebody tell TOYOTA that I'll put money down NOW for a hybrid minivan. I'm ready, when will they be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

The recent post about a hybrid that can run for short distances using an overnight electrical charge is very exciting. I can only hope that the delay in getting a hybrid Sienna on the market is related to adding features such as this and implementing the newest battery technologies.

A couple of folks here seem to think the Estima is the equivalent of the US Sienna. Actually the Estima is the vehicle sold overseas as the Previa but the new Previa (2000 onwards) was never sold in the US or Canada although it is available in lhd as it is sold in France. There are various engine and transmission options including a V6 and a diesel as well as the hybrid and 4wd is available on other engines, not just the hybrid's electric rear axle.

A few have escaped from their homeland (the hybrid has only ever been sold in Japan and hence is rhd only) and one was for sale in Jamaica recently.

Paul Norton - Toyota Estima Owners Club - http://www.estimaownersclub.com/community

For 2006 Honda will have an option for it's
    V-6 (i-VTech) engines that employ "Variable Cylinder Technology" ie: shutting 3 of 6 cylinders off when cruising.

I have this on my '05 Accord Hybrid and only the
    'economy' green light on the dash clues you to its operation!

Not a hybrid, but a help.

The iVTEC, which shuts down one bank of cylinders, ie, 3 out of 6 cylinders, is available beginning the redesigned (and already available) 2005 Odysseys. It is supposed to add 1mpg city and 3mpg highway.

couple more things. The iVTEC is only available on the top of the line Odyssey, so expect to pay some bucks for it.

also, a relevant article:
    http://www.smartmoney.com/life/index...20050819-drive

Maybe this horrid increase in gas prices will push the market a bit more. I have been looking at minivans anyway, so I would trade my big a$$ SUV for a hybrid minivan NOW! I so regret getting it...sigh...

"Daihatsu Motor unveiled Monday a gasoline-electric version of its Hijet Cargo, touting it as the world's first hybrid minivan designed for commercial use."

http://www.mixedpower.com/modules.ph...rticle&sid=759

The highlander shares an engine with the sienna some tech wiz should be able to tweak sienna into a hybrid with HH parts (or bribe you dealership service guy)

I am ready TODAY to trade in my wonderful Honday odyssey for a hybrid minivan...Toyota hurry up!