+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid Minivan US Availability?

Anyone know when we can expect the Honda or Toyota minivan to surface in the US. Also, do any of the big 3 have plans for a release soon?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

News item: "Toyota Motor says it expects to export a 40-mile-per-gallon, hybrid-power minivan to the USA to join its Prius gas-electric hybrid sedan. That's about double the fuel economy of a gasoline-only U.S. minivan." - June 2001 (!)

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ta-minivan.htm

Oops

Now it's 2007 - see the article right here under "CARS" in the light blue box to the left.

I hope I'm wrong, but I recently had an email exchange with Toyota.jp and they said they had no plans to export the Hybrid Van (Estima) to the US for now.

I'm very happy with the performance of my 2001 Mazda MPV. However, I still would like a new minivan later this year. I would only buy a new minivan if it is a hybrid and 4 wheel drive.

I am very interested in this question. I read that the Estima was introduced in Japan in 2001. It was listed at 240 hp and is suppose to get about 40 mpg, though i don't know if that is average. The Estima here in the US is the Sienna and it's bigger - over 300 hp I believe.

How can we get the Estima, just as it is sold?
    Is Honda considering a hybrid oddessy?

Who can we write to to urge production of a hybrid minivan? I"m sure they'd sell out in seconds. Either Toyota or Honda a missing the boat!

The technology works in a car why not in a minivan or pickup truck too? Why haven't any of the big auto companies done it? What are they waiting for?

GM & ford are waiting for toyota & honda to do it first....

it's part of their progressive management style.

see ya

steve

I've driven minivans since 1990 and own a 2004 Prius--and would buy a hybrid minivan today if one were available! (Need to seat 6 adults--the Highlander is too small).

I have to say that I am NOT at all impressed with the service I got on the phone trying to get the Toyota Canada guys to tell me when or how I could get a hybrid Sienna or even an imported Estima. They did not even know that it was available in Japan since 2001. They claim not to know of any plans to produce them here in North America and when I asked to talk to someone so I could complain they said that they would register the complaint but it would not likely get looked at seriously... Talk about ignorant. I then called back the Toyota US line and at least was able to register a request to have them consider marketing the minivan.
    I would still buy one in a second if it were available....