+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

New Hybrid Locomotive's Emissions Are Cl

The locomotive in question is called the "Green Goat" by its manufacturer. It's a relatively simple design, with a small (by railroad standards) diesel engine and generator, a big bank of lead-acid batteries, and conventional DC traction motors. Lead-acid batteries were chosen because they are reliable, railroads already deal with them in large numbers, and in a locomotive added weight is seen as a good thing for tractive effort.

The switch-engine is a logical place to implement a hybrid because it seldom operates at peak power output. Large mainline engines are much less likely to make good hybrids because they are almost always running at full-power, and the size of battery bank that would be required for a useful hybrid would be truly huge. However, since mainline trains are carefully sized and engined accordingly, they are already pretty efficient. The newest generation of diesels (Tier-2) are much cleaner than the old, too.

Given that the largest single consumer of Diesel fuel in the US is the Union Pacific Railroad, every drop they can save is a big deal...

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

New Hybrid Locomotive's Emissions Are Cl

It only takes a modern diesel locomotive a gallon of diesel to haul a ton of cargo 250 miles. Now, compare that to a big truck hauling ten or twenty tons at about 5 miles per gallon, and you can see that a diesel-engined train is the single most efficient way to transport anything on land, with the possible exception of an electric locomotive (and those cost alot of money for the infrastructure).

Yes now calculate the

Yes now calculate the ecological damage and the hurrendous danger factor and put a number on that.

I live about 3 blocks from a

I live about 3 blocks from a refueling station in Thunder Bay, Ontario and almost every night my family and I have to endure the toxic smells of diesel fuel being let into the air while the trains are refueled. Why can't the train companies be responsible and have a recapture device on the fuel tanks and fuel hoses while they refill the trains. This way these toxic odors are not let out into the air we all have to breath. I step outside my door in the middle of the night and am sometimes overcome by the smells and end up having such a bad taste left in my mouth and lungs that makes me choke. If there are government rules in place for gas stations to have recapture devices for cars and trucks, should there also be rules in place for trains as well?