+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

'05 Prius Battery Drain

Search for long-term storage advice at
    http://www.priuschat.com

Can you not arrange for someone to drive it for 20 minutes every two weeks or so?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

'05 Prius Battery Drain

Robin,

In street driving in Dallas my Prius gets 45 MPG or better year-round without trying real hard, and I keep the A/C going full blast. A Sunscreen for the windshield does help a lot (remember to park facing south).

'05 Prius Battery Drain

I have some questions for any or all Prius owners.
    I drive about 45,000 miles a year and untill recently I was just concerned about the rising costs
    of gas but now need to do something. My questions
    are is it good for alot of highway driving? Is it good
    in the winter? I like to listen to the radio and need air or heat depending on the season. Am I still a good canidate for a hybrid?

'05 Prius Battery Drain

Its great for the highway also. Today I was able to get 58.6 MPG going 50 miles. This is on a regular non-modified hybrid. Only about 7 miles of the 50 were in town, the rest were on the freeday doing 55-60 mph. Of course, that's slow for us here in CA but hey, if it gets me 58.6 mpg, it rocks. So far, I'm averaging about 52 mpg a day over a 2 week period. If your thinking about getting a prius, don't think too much cause its just awesome!!!

'05 Prius Battery Drain

We are about to buy a Prius ourselves, the deposit has been placed and now we do the WAIT for the highly sought after vehicle. We have heard some 'folk-lore' that when the hybrid battery dies, it costs $5000. to replace. Is this true? I realize the battery is guaranteeed for 100,000 miles, but I am wondering if this 'rumor' is true........please let me know what you may have heard. thanks!

'05 Prius Battery Drain

Liz,

We have heard some 'folk-lore' that when the hybrid battery dies, it costs $5000. to replace. Is this true?

I also just got a prius and the battery is warranty for 150,000 miles or 15 years and not 100,000. Now is it true that a battery replacement would costs $5000+. Yes, thats proabaly true today if you had to repalce one of those battery, but the thing is that you got to look at the costs in 10 to 15 years and not now. I believe that that price will probably be closer to 1500 than the 5000 that it is now. No one knows exactly what the price of those battery will costs 10 to 15 years from now but I'm betting that there will be so many brands and varieties of those battery that the competition will lower the price.

'05 Prius Battery Drain

I know this is very late, but to answer the questions about battery life, I read that the life expectancy of a Prius battery is about 15 years with normal use and approx. 12,000 miles per year--and that's on a 2001 model. So I can only imagine that the later model batteries will last even longer. Hopefully, it's true. 15 years of lower gas prices sounds good to me!

'05 Prius Battery Drain

Yesterday, we left our '05 Prius for 5 days and the 12 v battery went dead. The Dealer says 3 to 5 days is all you can expect. They get lots of tow ins. His suggestion is to disconnect the battery when leaving it longer. They also said you can't charge the 12v battery via the jump port (which would be really nice).

Mileage is better in warm weather and 50 to 55 mpg can be expected at 55 mph, dropping to 45 mpg at 70 mph and above.

The traction in snow is only fair and not confidence building. I would rate it below every front wheel drive car I've driven in snow.

This is a flat land car. Mountains will drain the main drive batteries in 15 minutes and then the engine with its variable transmission revs up and down seeking the sweet spot (which it never finds). Being able to stick it in a gear and forget it would make mountain driving more relaxing. I guess the answer is set the cruise control or hold the pedal to the metal and turn up the audio system really loud.

The Prius has some draw backs ... and I'm trying really hard to get over this 5 day battery death thing. (fyi: The tailgate won't open w/o the battery and that's where the battery lives!)

'05 Prius Battery Drain

I have a beat up 93 toyota camary. In city/ hwy milage I get about 25mpg with the ac on full blast. Most of my miles are on the hwy above 90mph, I travel for business and wonder what the MPG of the prius around 100mpg which is my normal crusing speed. Thanks.

'05 Prius Battery Drain

opps 100 mph.. yah what is the mpg at 100mph +