+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

'05 Prius Battery Drain

I've been away for about a week a couple of times and had no sign of problems on returning to my Prius. That said - I have the model without the 'smart' key.

I've heard from other drivers about other problems with the smart key, perhaps it's not so smart after all.

A possible issue is where you leave the key, it seems that the car can detect the key at a much greater range than it operates, and if the key is close but not near enough, eg in a room next to the garage it keeps checking the distance to see if it should activate.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

'05 Prius Battery Drain

There are a lot of fallacies on this board ... the smart key is a feature many vehicles have (not just hybrids). Electromagnetic sensors are placed on the two front doors and the rear hatch. They are activated at regular frequency to 'search' for the corresponding transponder with the matching ignition code. Ok, now, each of the sensors is EXTREMELY low power draw such that the car can power them for an extended amount of time. My suggestion is that if you know you will be leaving the car for more than 1 week, disbable the smart system. You should be fine for durations less than that. In any event, it is a good idea not to leave the car for VERY long periods of time without starting the hybrid system for batteries to avoid a deep discharge state .. done.

'05 Prius Battery Drain

I have had my Prius for a year now, I have never had a single problem with the car, and in the last 3 months, due to nijury, I have only been driving it once a week. The car is the single greatest item I have ever bought!

'05 Prius Battery Drain

Hi all!

My wife and I are thinking of purchasing the Prius. We have had a Toyota Celica GT now for 14 years. It was bought brand new. Will I get the same life span on this vehicle? More importantly, how well does it handle in winter and heavy snow conditions? Thanks!
    Signed: Arsenio

'05 Prius Battery Drain

Anyone: What about sitting in standstill traffic? I recently watched the blue bars drop one by one to the extent that I became quite concerned. I managed to exit the highway and all was well in a few minutes' driving. Yesterday, however, I watched the blue bars turn to two red bars. In neither instance did the gas engine come on to charge the batteries. Anyone know what's supposed to happen in situations like this? Would appreciate any insights you might have. Thanks.
    P.S. I have scheduled a diagnostic appointment with the dealer for next week.

'05 Prius Battery Drain

herbgifford

Were you running the A/C or the radio in either instance? This will drain the battery, even when the car is not moving. The fact that the ICE did not immediately kick on when it got to the "red" bars is not to worry. It will kick on eventually and recharge the battery. This is all normal behavior (assuming you were running either the A/C or the radio). I generally turn the A/C off when I'm sitting in stalled traffic.

'05 Prius Battery Drain

cdurnell:

Yes, I had the a/c on and probably the cd player. Thanks for the reassurance. I assumed it would kick on eventually, but didn't wait that long--for fear it wouldn't! I will see what my dealer says. In every other respect, my Prius is a superb vehicle.

'05 Prius Battery Drain

Toyota (Torrance, CA) says the system is designed so the enghine will come on and recharge the battery when it reaches 43%, two red bars. In some instances, it may not come on until you reach one red bar. My dealer says the energy monitor (bar graph) is, at best, approximate. They can, however, check your system with thier diagnostic scanner if you're really concerned about it.

'05 Prius Battery Drain

I'm just now venturing out to investigate hybrid cars. I've been a Toyota aficionado for years (Celica was my first car in '85) and I now drive a Camry. This is why I'm headed to the Toyota dealership first to check out the Prius. My mom and dad are big Honda fans, so I'll be going there too to check out the Civic. I've read a lot of posts here on tips and suggestions for upping the MPG and I've seen some comments about air conditioners. I live in East Texas and "no air" is not an option for my family, but at the same time we don't ever run it full blast and I always have mine on the lowest setting and often cut it off and back on when things are cool enough. Question is, "How much does air condition use affect the MPG and what practices (if other than what I already do) should I be doing to help with the MPG?" Thanks for any comments you can share with me.

Robin

'05 Prius Battery Drain

Does anyone know what I should do with a Prius 04 when I go away for 6 months?