Reality check- hybrids, fuel efficiency

OMG

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

yoru wierd

When I first saw the lead in I thought I would see some straight dope on hybrid milage. Sadly, I did not. I have no problem with hybrids or the people who drive them. I just haven't seen one that I wish to own - especialy at the price.

Back to the meat of the subject - milage. Most independant tests show that the improvement isn't much. Consumer Reports, which accepts no advertising from anyone, say most hybrids are in the range of 3 to 5 MPG better than comparable gas only models, and to get that you have to be in city driving. They are no better at all at highway speed.

I know, every little bit helps, and I hope something better becomes available soon.

Dale,

Everyone I know who has a hybrid gets significantly better mileage than the equivalent pure ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) car. I'm still scratching my head about Consumer Reports. All I can figure is that they left the parking brake on while doing their mpg tests. They did, retract their report but the retraction still left significantly less mileage improvement than I've seen. I haven't seen any other independent reports.

About the only thing I can see bad about hybrids is that today, they cost more than their pure ICE counterparts. This, however, seems to be mostly because of their popularity. Since Toyota can't seem to keep Prius's on the lot, why would you expect them to reduce the price?

The payback of a hybrid option is still a lot sooner than the payback of an enhanced stereo, a bigger engine, mag wheels, or a navigation system :-)

Jeff B,

Don't know if you got your answers regarding the most economical / practical way to accomplish better travel to work.

I face a similar problem, driving 40 miles to work each day, mostly highway (60mph). I've heard from two different Honda dealers, two different versions on whether I will acheive fuel efficiency in the Civic Hybrid. Having read the blog (from the start) I'm a bit clearer, but would love to hear more about whether I will acheive the stated economy.

One dealer said that I had to be doing lots of stop / start driving to get the efficiency from the braking, and lots of low speed driving to get the efficiency from the electric rather than the petrol engine.

It's getting too hard to decide, lol.

Anyone with any suggestions, please let me know.

Hack again?!

Hack again?!

Hack again?!

Hack again?!

It's a great post,it's so

It's a great post,it's so helpful to me,I agree some viewpoints in your post, and your blog is very good,I've learned a lot from your blog here,Keep on going,my friend,I will keep an eye on it,One more thing,thanks for your post!welcome to <a href=http://www.ugode.com>car DVD GPS</a>.

It's a great post,it's so

It's a great post,it's so helpful to me,I agree some viewpoints in your post, and your blog is very good,I've learned a lot from your blog here,Keep on going,my friend,I will keep an eye on it,One more thing,thanks for your post!welcome to <a href=http://www.ugode.com>car DVD GPS</a>.

fuel efficiency survey

fuel efficiency survey (please take, it's for my bioethics class!)
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3TXQLYL