+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Plus-sizing

Plus-sizing

I've been driving my 05 HCH for less than a month now. I'm impressed by the smooth drive and fuel economy. I don't like the OEM rims and tires though. My question is if I plus-size my tires/wheels to 195/60-15, would there be significant effects on fuel consumption, steering and handling, etc?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Plus-sizing

I think I'm in the same boat. And I also think that, given the lack of responses, that you and/or I may be the initial guinea pigs for this mileage experiment.

Reading on www.tirerack.com, they have an article about the value -- or minimal value, in their conclusion -- of LRR (low rolling resistance) tires. It's an interesting read, although of course they have a vested interest in selling us plus-size, performance tires. I think their conclusion was an absolute worst-case maximum of 3% mpg loss, which on a 50mpg car would be about 1.5mpg.

Anyway, if you take the plunge, there are at least some of us interested in the result, so please post your observations!

Plus-sizing

elsewhere on this discussion sight a few months back was talk of tires. you'll have to search there for possible answers.

meanwhile to upsize your tires you'll loose mileage. i doubt it will be simply 1.5%. those numbers might be for a gas guzzler so 18 MPG goes to 17MPG. i suspect for the little hybrid cars we're likely to see the hit more like down to 32 MPG.

just a guess but i wouldn't be surprised if it's dramatic.

also acceleration overall may likely go down with slightly bigger, heavier tires.

i also get the feeling you got a car you didn't want. you wanted other features that just were not part of the car you bought. should have searched further before buying.

Plus-sizing

Sure, you can take the tires that were designed for the car and replace them with aftermarket tires (which probably were never designed for fuel efficiency). I'm sure there won't be TOO MUCH of a difference.

Also, it might look really snazzy if you put a body kit all around the car. Maybe a spoiler in the back. They serve no useful purpose (other than to weigh down the car even more, and to raise the coefficient of drag), but it will look great! You might also see a loss in MPG there too though.

And wow, maybe some air shocks, get your bounce on! Of course, this too will serve no real useful purpose, and the extra weight will certainly affect your MPG.

Pretty soon, your Honda Insight gets 22 mpg and you're disappointed "cause it's a hybrid, its supposed to be easy on gas..."

Get the point?

Plus-sizing

Geez, no offense guys but I really think you need to chill out. All the original poster was asking was whether getting different tire sizes -- which happened to be a very small difference, if you noticed -- would effect his MPG. And he gets hammered for it.

If he gets plus-size tires, he may lose 2 or 3 MPG, but his friends may look at his tires and say, "how about that, a hybrid that not only gets great mileage but looks good too." And so he loses a few MPG, but makes a few converts to hybrid technology. It doesn't take a mathematician to figure out which is going to be better for the planet.

It's unfortunate that a person can ask an honest question about his hybrid and get roasted for it. Someone may well read this thread and get turned OFF towards hybrids. Let's encourage people to get hybrids, not drive them away.

Plus-sizing

One thing that no one else seems to have touched on is the fact that grippier tires are SAFER than LRR tires. You can stop shorter, make an emergency lane change faster, and have more grip and stability in an emergency situation. Is getting killed in a car wreck worth saving $10 a year on gas by using LRR tires?

Plus-sizing

Good point about the safety of grippier tires.

Also if you wish to have your cake and eat it too, you can get the Michelin LRR tires ("Energy MXV4") in many sizes, such as wider and with a somewhat lower profile. So it is possible to get LRR in a tire width that gives you a bit more grip. The fact that they are LRR may offset to a degree the fact that they are wider, in terms of MPG.

Plus-sizing

thanks to all those that replied. don't get me wrong, i love my hch. it's just the wheels that turn me off a bit. i might have them plus-sized once the original tires are scheduled to be replaced and see if the difference is minimal or not.

Plus-sizing

Congratulations on taking input and making reasonable choices, as you have done in your purchase of an HCH as well!

One point that may not be readily apparent to everybody is that the plus-size you mentioned -- 15 inch rims -- would be barely noticeable to 99% of the public. In fact, the size you mention is actually the size of the original equipment tires for a Honda Civic EX. Perhaps some of the folks who originally responded were picturing huge plus-sizes like 17 or 18 inch rims with super-low profile tires, that seem to be the rage these days.

Plus-sizing

thanks chuck. yea i guess they were all thinking of "big wheels" that's why i got roasted anyways i don't want to change much from the original configuration. i'm thinking an added inch in rim size won't be that bad.