+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Diesel vs. Hybrid: A Point Missed

"It isn't clear to me that the planet has enough bio-fuel raising capability to feed it's 'need' unless we get MUCH more efficient vehicles."

This should help clear that up: http://www.unh.edu/p2/biodiesel/article_alge.html

I can't speak to Electric engines, but in my experience, the modern diesel engine is much simpler to maintain than the modern gasoline engine. Just guessing here, but I would expect that when considering the over all complexity of a drivetrain system, its probably going to be more complex to deal with if there are two engines attached to it. I have yet to see any other method of kinetic energy recapture however.

Cheers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

the biomass quantities look encouraging. They seem similiar to some estimates for how much area would be required for PV to cover humanity's energy needs. There are also possibilities for biomass cultivation from the sea.
    A hybrid drive-train need not be very complex. It can be done with very few moving parts if people try but all attempts to date have been polluted by special interests within the car company to incorporate their pet projects.

I wish I had the capital and the know how to start my own car company. Freedom from petrolium fuel isn't going to happen in just one form. Biofuel ready cars that are much more efficient seem like a good place to start though. I think there is probably a growing niche market for cars that are really geared towards fuel efficiency that the Insight was targeted at.

Hybrid cars are really ugly and driving them makes you look gay. I would rather ride my bike in the rain then be seen in one of those hideous futuristic pieces of crap.I would love to by a car that gets more than 19 mpg city like my curent car but those hybrids are just too ugly.

Hey, riding your bike is even better than a hybrid or a diesel. Can't knock that.

Jesse I guess everyone has their own tastes.

Are you refering to Prius?
    You know there are other hybrids out there as well.

Civic for example made Motor Trend car of the year:
    http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...r_of_the_year/

How bout the Accord? Civic, Accord or Camry? Those are all top selling models.

Also is a Ford Escape, Hylander, Mariner, RX 400h and others by the year end.

Hybrid is only a power train.

X-ev1,
    I've recently had my 65,000 mile oil change at the dealer. I get them free there for my car.

They also do other checks and informed me that my brakes are still practically new.
    Most of the time I use regen for slowing down rather than my brakes.

Tngaijin:
    Sign me up!
    Personally I'd like to see the use of Ethanol explode. (No punn)

you guys forget to realize that diesel expells particulants that DO cause cancer.

you guys forget to realize that diesel expells particulants that DO cause cancer. "

You do realize of course that gasoline emits carcinogenic VOCs, and also particulates? And that the finer particle size of gasoline particulates makes them more susceptible to deep inhalation than diesel particulates?