+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thanx for writing a great

Thanx for writing a great article...I own a 1998 E-300 Turbo Diesel Mercedes Benz. I get an average of about 29-1/2 miles per gallon. I have no smell what-so-ever with the diesel fuel and I'm more than happy with its performance both around town and on the highway. I can honestly say that it renders all the power I will ever need, and it burns with a cleaner exhaust for our enviroment.
    Proud to be doing my part~!~ Thank You, CJC

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

The more I look at

The more I look at bio-diesel, the less I like it. It seems that with bio-diesel, we have a choice:
    Feed our population or let the rich be able to drive around.
    Hmm, I'm kind of a harsh Darwinian kind guy who really doesn't mind the latter but I'll bet a lot of other, more sensitive souls will be a bit squeamish driving past starving people all the time.

All the fuss over diesel vs

All the fuss over diesel vs hybrid vs riding my bike?
    Gas engines have a life of about 150k miles and diesel is about 300k miles. Of course both vehicles to be well maintained and engine life can vary. I personally put 350K on my diesel and it is still running. I use bio fuel when ever possible. Purchasing injectors every 100k or so is the biggest expense.
    Hybrids in a few years, what will Batteries cost every 75K miles? No one knows. What about disposal? Harming the envirnoment or not? How about harming an emergency worker in an accident or even the kids in the back seat sitting on the batteries? Lots of questions, very few answers until reality sets in.
    Bio fuel is said to be cleaner emmisions than a gas hybrid and almost impossible to find in many states. Plus if you follow to closely to a bio fuel vehicle, it make you want french fries and a hamburger from the fast food smell.
    Why hasn't anyone followed the Train Industry. All trains are hybid / battery technology with diesel engines. You would think that a Diesel bluetec or TDI engine with a hybrid combo would get 80 - 90+ mpg and with bio fuel would be an incredible accomplishment until better research can be found.
    Also I am still wondering why a hybrid cant get more than 60mpg. Honda in the 1980's made a CRX HF that got 60mpg. You would think that Honda could take that engine and make a hybrid that could get 75 - 80+ mpg?
    Just some thoughts at a different angle from a guy who is now riding his bike back and forth to work, 50 miles round trip. Since I do not feel like buying a new car just yet.

Wow jnf, You've really done

Wow jnf,
    You've really done your reading. I don't think you missed a single piece of anti-hybrid nonesense that has been distributed.
    Where'd you get the 75K mile replacement need for hybrid batteries? They are warranteed to over 100K miles and because of their lack of use in today's hybrids, they are lasting very long times (see: http://www.hybridcars.com/fleets/tax...ity-25167.html).
    Regarding all that dangerous electricity, sure to kill every kid or well-meaning emergency worker: I'm not sure why you're ok with them dealing with the bomb that is a gasoline tank but a battery with less than 1% of the energy is a problem.
    I don't know where you get the emissions info on bio fuel. Of course, it depends on the bio fuel, ethanol definitely creates a lot more emissions than a hybrid burning dino-fuel.
    Unfortunately, there really isn't enough arid land in our country to replace our driving miles with bio fuel.
    I agree with your complaints about mpg. We're demanding perfectly safe, powerful, low emissions cars which, if you assume an Internal Combustion Engine, can only be acccomplished by increasing the weight and decreasing engine efficiency. Hybrids and electrics have the ability to handle the power and emissions without decreasing the efficiency - not that anyone except Tesla is actually taking advantage of this capability. The battery-electric drivetrain also decreases the penalty for vehicle weight. A Diesel-hybrid, of course, would seem to be nearly ideal to me if one must burn liquid fuel.
    Congrats on your bike riding. I wish I had the time and geography to enable riding a bike every day.

Have you ever considered

Have you ever considered actually calculating the total environmental damage the manufacure and running of a hybrid car is, the Toyota Prius is not so "green" because the manufacuring process of is batteries so environmentally damaging not just because of the CO2 emmisions but all the harsh materials used in the process and the fact that completion of the batteries requires them to be transported thousands of kilometers back and forward accross the globe by cargo ships that the savings in CO2 emmisions is negated by the amount of extra CO2 which is used to create its batteries. You should ask Toyota to provide you with a technical data sheet about the manufacturing proccess and then makeyour call, because when we take about being green CO2 emissions are not the be all and end all solution to the problems which we face today.

Dean, I suspect you've been

Dean,
    I suspect you've been influenced by a bogus study titled "'Dust to Dust' Automotive Energy Report" by CNW President Art Spinella almost 2 years ago. It has been discussed here and I've pointed out a few glaring 'issues' here at Hybridcars.com at:
    http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/dus...ive-t1266.html
    http://www.hybridcars.com/environmen...rgy-costs.html
    The main errors in Art's assumptions are
    - He assumes very short vehicle life for hybrids compared with his favorite Hummers
    - He penalizes Hybrids for their R&D 'costs' and applies them to a small quantity of vehicles delivered. By this alone, hybrids today are twice as 'green' as they were in in 2006 when he collected his data.
    - He assumes that hybrids are imported from Japan

You, too are unfairly penalizing hybrid technology for transportation costs when, if our own stupid auto manufacturers ever come out of their caves, should be solved by onshore manufacturing.

Note also that today's batteries do not use toxic materials like the old lead acid and Nickle Cadmium. Also, battery recycling is very good so consumption is reduced.

while it is true that the

while it is true that the initial environmental impact of a hybrid car is lower, what do you think happens to those huge batteries?
    they get turned over to toxic waste dumps, the sulfur in the batteries needs to be produced, handled, and then disposed of. the lead is toxic in all stages and at every step.

not to forget in case of a severe accident you have to deal with acid splashing all over, and leaking on the ground, or since it is under the back seats well passengers get burnt.

while it is true that diesel does have its drawbacks, the environmental impact is lower in the long run than a hybrid.

ps my vw turbo diesel runs off veggie oil, so very minimal need to fund opec

the technoilogy to produce biodiesel from algae not only cleans up the air but it produces starches and oils, so it can produce biodiesel, and ethanol. if we run biofuels from algae it cleans the environment, and can power both diesel and gas powered cars

ecoguard, Take a look at

ecoguard,
    Take a look at ex-EV1 driver's comments right above yours.
    He addresses some of your issues.

The current batteries in hybrids are NOT lead acid. They tend to be Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) or Lithium. There is a bounty for these batteries and these are much sought after and are recyclable.

Your car, like almost all cars including, drives around with a Lead Acid battery for it's electric accessories. The risk of "splashing acid all over" is just not a reality.

I think you would be hard pressed to come up with any credible data that definitively identifies that diesels have a lower environmental impact on the environment.

In the future there will be all kinds of vehicles, and I am certain that diesels and hybrids will be both be part of the future.

By the way, I own a both a hybrid car and a turbo-diesel sedan that is converted to run on veggie oil.

--
    Eric Powers
    Green Drive Expo
    * SF Bay Area - Second weekend in June
    * Madison, WI - Third weekend in July
    www.GreenDriveExpo.com

Its time to impose a price

Its time to impose a price ceiling on energy. If the energy companies dont like it then we dont need them

Ford Ecocentric Diesel-63.6

Ford Ecocentric Diesel-63.6 mpg city or 73.5 mpg...not much more needed to say