+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Diesel vs. Hybrid: A Point Missed

Diesel vs Hybrid could be Diesel+Hybrid

their is no good reason that diesel hybrids could not be produced! One could reap all of the benefits of both technologies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Any one know the price of biodiesel relative to regular diesel? I would hope that with the recent increases in fuel costs, the price of biodiesel would be even or cheaper. A diesel hybrid would be the best option.

On September 13, 2005 Burke Oil of Chelsea, MA sold Biodiesel (B5) for $2.799 vs. Diesel #1 at $2.899 per gallon. Hudson Valley Biodiesel Coop sells Homebrew Biodiesel for $1 to $2 per gallon. See BiodieselStation.ORG

"Diesel vs Hybrid could be Diesel+Hybrid"
    Bongo! We will be getting the ultra low-sulfur Diesel fuel here in the US next year as well as next-generation Diesel engines that conform to the stricter emissions standards shortly after that. Why not combine the two and get the best of both worlds? There would be no reason to pick one over the other. Volkswagen had a Diesel-Electric hybrid prototype that got 70mpg and that was over ten years ago!

Even if you don't run a hybrid, and are running a diesel, it will make a collosal difference to your fuel consumption and, by association, your fuel imports. Changing to the SEAT Arosa 1.4 diesel, and driving at 55-60 mph, will allow the fuel consumption to improve to 75-80 mpg (UK), close to 67 mpg (US). If the US did it, you would control the oil price...yes, you would control the oil price, just by using less.

Don't worry too much about imports, use less and you will have to import so little, it will not bother you.

Will it happen? Eventually, I think.

I look forward to it.

Hybrids are a good step, but hydrogen is not. Diesels are also a good step... my powerful chipped and injectored (and bigger turbo) 2001 TDI jetta, gets 30 mpg the lowest, where a civic got 20 mpg.. (nyc driving conditions).

Now hybrids are good too but I'm not too crazy about gasoline technology. Gas engine particulates are SMALLER, which means LESS but are more easily inhaled. A smoky diesel, is more visible because the particles are BIGGER. Now, what is easier to filter out in the nose and lungs? Bigger or smaller? Hmmm.....

Anyhow the torque can't be beat. I get 150 hp, 260 ft lbs out of a 1.9 liter diesel (max 18.5 psi boost). 47 mpg highway out here in Los Angeles. You need a v6 or a v8 to get that kind of torque. Torque is what makes a car feel fast. Horsepower is what makes you actually faster but that requires redline shifts. I shift easily at 3000 or 4000 rpm and can overtake anything.

Another fun fact, I averaged 25 mpg towing a full 2000 lb trailer at 70-80 mpg across the country. No need to downshift either (besides when my clutch woudl slip- its not designed for the power by the chip). Smoke is minimal at even high power. Now can a hybrid gas car do this? If so, cool.. but batteries can't last the long hills cross country IMO.

I read that in PA there is a company that turn coal waste into diesel fuel. if this true then diesel cars would be way better than hybrid cars. I drive a diesel myself did not want wait for the hybrid. It would have been at least 6 month. my ford had over 100k on it need a new car. love my 2004 vw jetta tdi. I am getting 44mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Diesel fuel need less energy to be refined and less
    $ as well. Unfortunately the gas stations get a much
    higher profit on diesel fuel vesus gasoline. The same goes for taxes. Diesel is taxed more.
    On the other hand hybrids get a tax advantage since the owner can take a deduction from their
    income tax (read tax payer subsidized).
    Diesel can also safely be stored at home just like heat oil. Six hundred gallons would make a VW TDI
    run almost 30000 miles. Its also safe in an accident.
    It wont catch fire like a gasoline car.
    A barrel of oil gives more diesel than gas.
    Diesel can be produced from plants, coal, fish scraps and from abundant natural gas. Some of these fuels are super clean. If we reduced the sulphur level to the same standard as the Europens
    we would see a great influx of more diesel cars.
    If any of the readers get a chance drive the MB
    E class CDI. Its a rocket, quiet and no way of telling
    its a diesel.

Bjorn, a Mercedes-Benz diesel that doesn't leave a trail of smoke and have the bumper and trunk lid all covered with soot? And it's a rocket too? Yow! {grin}

Paul...I dont think you have experienced the very last
    generation of MB diesel. They have been on the market
    a couple of years. In the US maybe one year. I have
    driven them in Europe and riding in one on a long trip.
    I also drove behind a few (taxis). There is no smoke.
    You are probably refering to the old MB with old
    fashioned manual indirect injection systems.
    In Europe all major car companies offer diesel engines
    in their cars. With commonrail techology, electronic
    injection control and sulphur free diesel there is
    no smoke visible from the new diesel cars. Furthermore
    a modern diesel engines emits almost half of the
    CO2 of a modern gasoline engine. A few of the diesel
    engines are using piezo injectors which makes them
    even more fuel efficient. We also need sulphur free
    gasoline like the japanes and europeans so the direct
    injected gasoline engines will be more common. Then
    the mpg will increase with 20%. Curreent sulphur
    content in our gasoline keep the engine running richer
    (this also put more wear on engines) to keep catalyc
    converter hot enough to burn off excessive sulphur.
    Currently I believe only VW(FSI injection), MB sell
    direct injection gasoline engines in the USA.
    For a few pennies a gallon cleaning out sulphur we could use cars that burn 20% less gas, runs better, fewer oilchages,engines last much longer and pollutes
    much less. One wonder why this has not been
    implemented long time ago