+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Ah.... A more recent

Ah.... A more recent post.

As I just posted in reply to someone else, my '83 FE is red, (only had a choice of red or blue in that year), and generally has the same trim level as the 1500 "S." which was the very top of the line. Dual mirrors, A/C, factory cassette stereo. Cruises all day at 70/80 mph.

And... It only has about 120K on it. I found it at a repair shop in Round Rock TX, (near Austin), and it is virtually rust free. Love that short stroke shifter and the car's handling is great.

I hope within the next year to totally restore it and drive it cross country. At 50+ mpg, that won't break the bank either...

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

You make some excellent

You make some excellent points regarding ancient Civic technology vs. modern plastic-sized cars.

As posted elsewhere, I drive old Gen II Civics everyday. Unlike today's offerings, I can do most maintenance and repairs myself. Add to that compared to the under-the-hood accessibility, no comparison at all! I'm retired but have had no problems changing out axles, engines, gas tanks and a lot of other things.

The best part is a good supply of cheap parts. No expensive computers, "Check Engine Light," ABS, etc.

I'll take the solid road handling characteristics of my ancient Civics over the current tunnel vision toys that are common place now.

Whether I'm driving the '83 FE or the '82 DX 1500 automatic, I can be assured of three things, (1) I know exactly what I have with regard to reliability, (2) It's paid for and (3) I'm stylin'!!! Of course, there is always the '56 Studebaker Hawk that gets tested now and then...

Likewise, I i owned a 1300

Likewise, I i owned a 1300 FE. I bought it new on a very rainy day in April 1982. Funny, the dealer was so happy to get it off their lot because everyone seemed to want the 1500's that I got a pretty silver one for $2000 off sticker, and got $2500 on a trade in Volkswagen that I bought from a car dealer a year before for $2000. The only bummer was the 17.9% interest rate on the loan. This was 1982, after all, when an excellent interest rate was an outrageous 12.9%.

The lowest gas mileage I ever got out of the car was 38.5 mpg, and that was on a half tank that was mostly spent in horrible traffic jams in 100 degree weather, AC on full blast.

The best I ever got was 55 mpg on a trip to Colorado. Despite the 55 mph speed limit, I rarely drove below 65 mph in those days. It had no problem climbing hills and steep mountain passes at 65 mph in Colorado and New Mexico. Most of the time, I averaged 53 mpg on the highway, and rarely less than 42 in the city. Honda gave each buyer a mileage log, and I was so impressed I still have it somewhere in my old auto literature.

Performance was not bad, in general, for 1982. Due to a good selection of gearing, I found the car could accelerate from 0-60 in about 12.5 seconds without abusing it. In comparison, that is about as fast as the old 2 passenger Honda Insight did. Note also that our impressions of what is adequate acceleration have changed a great deal. I also had a 1984 Dodge GLH (Goes Like Hell) which was considered fast at the time. And, yes, it was, at least compared to other "performance" cars of its day. I scorched many IROC and Z28 Camaros with the GLH, yet it would seem slow today. After all, the GLH was only capable of 0-60 in a bit under 9 seconds. Today, most minivans would beat it.

Of course, in comparison to the Insight, the FE could seat four adults, and carry additional cargo. The Insight's rated GVWR doesn't really allow for two 180 lb passengers and a full tank of gas, at least not without going over the official max rating.

Of course, later high efficiency versions of the Civic got even better mileage than the 1982 model. Unfortunately, Honda never did well selling them.

I wish I could get a car like the 1300FE today. With modern EFI and some actual aerodynamics, and lighter materials, the car should be able to reach 0-60 in 11 seconds, and easily top 50mpg. I really don't see why 60 mpg should be any problem to achieve in a small 4 passenger hatchback, at least as long as the customer doesn't expect 0-60 in 7 seconds.

This car really makes the Mercedes Smart Car look not very smart at all.

I recently came across an 82

I recently came across an 82 sedan and the head was warped. Just wondering if anyone knows a place where I can Fix it. If I choose to buy it.

The most important

The most important consideration is to pressure test the head for cracks. Machining takes care of most warpage issues. Both of these tasks can be done by any automotive machine shop.

Well folks I too did own a

Well folks I too did own a 1983 Honda Civic 1300FE. It was my first car purchase and I paid $6500 for it brand new right after graduation from college! It held through an additional several years through my PhD and then onto my first job. I was then as I am now very conservative about burning gas. I actually did get 50+ on the highway and in town I developed the habit of shifting into 5th above 40 mph. I sold the car for $1000 in 1992 when I purchased my second Honda the 1992 Civic VX because of its fuel efficient rating. I still drive this car and it gets me 50+ mpg on the highway. The best I did was 67 mpg on a trip from Bishop, CA to LA (downhill and tail wind). I still own this VX and frankly regret selling the 1300 FE. If I could find one I would
    pick it up no questions. Since the 1300 FE I have completely lost my fear of tinkering with cars and I do all of the maintenance on the VX myself. I HAVE NO PLANS TO GIVE THIS ONE UP, considering among several factors my regrets about selling the 1300 FE. Both cars have been a great joy to drive!

To SF Sores: I'm surprised

To SF Sores: I'm surprised that you do all the maintenance on a later-than-1983 Honda just due to the electronics and plethora of interlocks etc.

1983 is the cut-off year for me. Everything from then on back is "old school" including the automatic transmission. Not one electrical wire goes to it.

Some joke that I live in the past but it suites me just fine. At least it is me in control rather than the "service department."

None of my "fleet," (1981, 82 & 83), has presented a challenge unable to be met.

Yep I drove my Dad' Civic FE

Yep I drove my Dad' Civic FE in mid 80s while in high school and it did get 50+ mpg, but it literally would NOT go faster that 70 with pedal all the way to the floor--guess Dad knew i was a speed demon, although even at 55 I'm lucky he didn't have to bury me in this tin can. Was fun to drive though, (at very slow speeds)!

Um, I've driven my FE

Um, I've driven my FE regularly at 90mph plus and have good confidence that it might reach the speedometer limit of 110mph.

Something is wrong with your scenario unless ALL of your driving was up steep hills...

I had a 1982 civic wagon

I had a 1982 civic wagon stick shift with 72 hp. It comfortably kept up with traffic and cruised at 70 mph. I could easily burry it past the 85 MPH speedometer limit, but I'm not sure how far past. It was fun to race it in high school. I could take many V8's off the line but usually got beat after about 50 MPH. I got up to 44 MPG at 55 MPH back when that was the max speed limit. The added power in new civics along with all the safety equipment (crumple zones, airbags, bigger wheels, side-impact protection) makes that type of mileage unattainable today. At today's gas prices, give me back my old car.