+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

compressed air car

I don’t see why everyone is such a skeptic about the air car concepts – MDI of France seems to have designed an air engine but fails to come up with the money needed to mass produce and “license” their cars – safety test them and get permission to market (something like this is killing them and stopping them from marketing the “cars” or they have just gone underground with their current investors as they don’t seem to be talking press much or making any moves that people can “see” at the moment – perhaps MDI has a plan that they are not willing to announce to the public – that seems smart considering their early patents on this technology – I’ve seen other engine designs that make more torque and sense to me than MDI’s to be honest and as many have suggested compressed air and existing drive trains could possibly also be used to convert existing “internal combustion engines” over to “compressed air engines” – but, most consumers don’t want patch up jury rigged stuff or cars that look like model-T’s that are not crash tested and rated for our highways against the other cars that are on the market (that seems to be GM’s advantage over time with their Hydrogen cars). I think MDI’s secrecy about what they are doing at the moment is deeper than funding issues for a production model as reportedly they have 60 investors of the needed 400 that can or have put up $250,000.00 initial investment for a “license”… or should I say $150,000,000.00 to back initial production of the first MDI air cars. It seems that they should be able to produce at least one line of production with that much money behind them! The Korean company Enerine http://www.energine.com now seem to have “taken” the “compressed air engine” design idea and other hybrid technology currently on the market to come up with their own Hybrid air power engine car with electric hybrid motors that is more modern looking e.g. the “small economy car body” that improves speed and performance to basically match the Toyota Preis “without the gasoline” – What I want to know is if modern carbon tanks can store 10,000 psi and they can be refilled in 3-4 minutes and used for 20 years is MDI only using 4500 psi because it is safer in a crash than 10,000 psi? What I see is that even 4500 psi is really not needed if a “smaller” engine can produce enough electrical power to sustain a car for prolonged travel on compressed air and that with the newer hydraulic kinetic energy that runs a compressor and recharges the tanks that charge the batteries. It seems that MDI is actually looking more at not using batteries and relying more on the compressed air only which reduces the costs dramatically as the seem to be targeting the $10,000.00 - $18,000.00 realm for one of their “air cars” such as the MiniCAT and CityCAT models. Now enters GM with the new “hydrogen” car and over 1 billion in research in that prototype speculating it will be 5-10 years before we will be able to purchase there Hydrogen cars and fill them up at the local GAS station. However – the beauty of the “compressed air hybrid” is this… Windmills can store compressed air without the photosynthesis and without the loss of power to create and change it from one form of stored energy to another. Compressed air can come from many sources commonly available such as small compressors powered by electricity, kinetic. My research on hybrids suggests that the best design is really the new battery technology with electric motors – possibly solar cells melded into the body of the car to recharge the batteries “when the sun shines” in combination with other kinetic energy devices and hydraulic devices to recharge the “compressed air” tanks more of a potential motion machine that uses a combination of existing technology. Seems to me that the best design would be a car that gives everyone what they need with the least amount of cost taking advantage of all the technology. Maybe these companies GM, MDI, Enerine, etc… should God forbid work together or as I have seen it been suggested get Mr. Gates to help them fund the project to get something done that takes the pollution out of our air and solves the need for everyone. The next step would be to employ people in all the various Countries to share the work, wealth and advantages of this technology.

Kevin

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

compressed air car

Maybe air compressors could be a could way to build hybrids, since in this case too one could store the energy used to slow down by refillign the tanks. A tank with compressed air is fairly light, a compressor drivven by one of the driveshafts of the car should technically also be relatively simple. Ist there anyone who has thought of that as aftermarket systems that could be installed on conventional cars? Possibly such asystem could then be used for stop and go traffic where most of the pollution occurs

compressed air car

Diesel Driver,

There have been discussions of Compressed Air Hybrids, in fact, I understand that the US Postal Service has just ordered as small fleet of 'hydraulic hybrids' which, I believe that these actually use compressed air to store energy just as you've described. They use a normal Hydraulic drive system but use engine braking to push the hydraulic fluid into an accumulator where it is stored in the form of compressed air. As we all recall, one can't compress a liquid so the energy storage must be using air.

This may have some merit to make Internal Combustion Engines (ICE's) more efficient.

Using compressed air alone does not provide much energy storage capability compared with batteries, gasoline, or pretty much any other common energy storage technique. Therefore, a pure compressed air car wouldn't get much range.

Compressed air cars don't appear meet my interests in hybrids electric vehicles which is their simplicity (fewer moving parts) and their ultimate ability to become plug-in vehicles which, in addition to gasoline and ethanol, can make use of any form of energy that can put energy onto the electrical grid.

compressed air car

i would like to see a compressed air riding lawn mower. That would allow someone to work out the kinks in the technology - if it is viable.

compressed air car

Way to go Paul. Compressed air car is nothing new. Years ago a guy at work told me of a person in PA. that had a car that ran on compressed air but couldn't find a car company that would buy his plans. He eventually was selling blueprints to the public. As far as perpetual motion this was not the case as his was started with compressed tank of air then refilled as the car had a compresser in the drivetrain.

compressed air car

I seem to remember a weekly science reader artical in grade school, talking about using regenerative braking to compress air for use in buses. When stopping at a bus stop it would compress air into cylinders and then use the compressed air to accelerate back up to speed. I think it was in Austrailia. That must've been around the early 70' (1970's thank you!)

compressed air car

THIS IS JD
    I WANT TO TELL ALL OF YOU HOW TO BILD A AIR CAR. I WILL MAKE A DEAL AND TELL ALL .IF
    HYBRID MAKES ME AN OFFER
    AND TO HELP SOME OF YOU .
    WITH MY CAR . YOU DONT NEED TO CHANGE TANKS OR RE FILL. IT FILLS IT SELF AS YOU DRIVE. THINK ABOUT IT.

compressed air car

JD, we "thought about it" in March 2005, the last time you made this claim (in this thread - look above) and we all thought the same thing: It's bogus. How many miles have you driven your air car since March 2005, and what are the statistics? How has it worked for you in the last year and a half?

compressed air car

ITS NOT A JOKE.
    I WILL GIVE YOU THIS ONE.
    TAKE 2 ALTNATERS SET THEM UP TO WHERE
    THERE IS ONE ON EACH SIDE OF THE HYBRID
    AND LET THE ROTASHON OF THE WEEL CHARGE
    YOUR BATTERY. NO STOPS TO RE CHARGE
    IT CHARGES AS YOU GO.
    NOW DO YOU WANT TO DEAL.

compressed air car

THE GUY IN FRANCE HAS GOT THE AIR CAR GOING
    I KNOW HOW TO BILD ONE .THE U.S. IS MISSING OUT BECUSE YOU ALL THINK ITS A JOKE.
    ITS NOT HARD TO DO I JUST WANT TO BE A PART OF IT . I DONT WANT TO SCAME ANYONE.
    I JUST WANT PEPOLE TO HAVE A CHANCE TO TRY IT . AND SAVE SOME MONEY.