+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    ok--anyone ever consider that an older vw diesel pickup can get approx. 50 mpg??--That is even under loads of acceloration--imagine that diesel engine mounted in the back of the pickup (for testing only) running a compressor and filling tanks at a low rpm and constant speed. Install an air motor in the engine compartment linked to the existing transmission. the load and acceloration demands would be on the stored compressed air. the diesel engine only runs when the volume is low and again at lower rpm and high efficiency. i belive we could get 75 to 80 mpg--any comments??

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

MDI compressed air car

I think this is called Hybrid technology. But the "classic" MDI car is a mono energy.
    I am still curious to know why Mr Negre is not selling more compressed air cars. In 2000 he had already 200 customers on his waiting list. Was the safety a problem? I don't think so. His car in running on a pressure of 300 bars. This is quite high but GM uses 700 bars on their hydrogen car. (The Chevrolet Sequel has 3 cylinders holding 4.2 kg of hydrogen at 700 bars for its fuel cells).
    For your information, here are the specs. I think this is for the City-CAT's model . I added an english translation including units equivalents.

· Véhicule mono-énergie air - cylindrée: 566 cm3
    (223 cu. in. air engine, 4-cyl, laying flat, air only)
    · Puissance maxi : 25 CV CEE (18 kW CEE) à 3500 tr/min
    (max. power: 25 hp @ 3500 rpm)
    · Couple maxi : 6,3 kg.m CEE (61,7 N.m CEE) à 800 - 3000 tr/mn
    (max torque:45.5 ft-lb from 800 to 3000 rpm)
    · Vitesse maxi :110 km/h
    (max speed: 68 mph)
    · Autonomie en cycle urbain: environ 10 heures soit 200 km
    (range for city driving: 125 miles or about 10 hrs)
    · Autonomie à 60 km/h : 240 km
    (range at 40 mph: 150 miles)
    · Coût d'utilisation : 5 francs pour 100 km compresseur embarqué
    (cost, using the onboard compressor: 25¢ for 60 miles)
    · Puissance électrique de charge 5 kVA soit 5,5 kW
    (charging power requied: 5,5 kw)
    · Poids: environ 700 kg
    (weight: 1500 pounds)
    · Modèles: taxi, pick-up, monospace familial, fourgonnette

· Charge utile: 450kg de marchandises ou 4 personnes + chauffeur
    (can carry 1000 pounds or 4 passengers plus driver)
    · Prix moyen: 62'000 FHT
    (Mean price based on 4 different models: aprx 15000$ before tax)

TAKEN FROM:
    A. VE Axel Vicq - 51, avenue de la République F- 17210 Montlieu la Garde
    Tél.:05 46 04 3 392, Fax: 05 46 01 56 85, E-mail: ave.media@ wanadoo.fr

I noticed that specs seem to change from one source to another.
    If you read french you can check for yourself in Science et Vie no, 969, June 98, page 130, article "Le moteur zero pollution" by Catherine Cousin or in the dayly LaPresse (Montreal) October 18, 2004, L'Auto, page 7 , article "Roulez a l'air comprime" by Rene Fagnan.
    By the way, MDI has overcome the lack of efficiency of air engines by alowing air to expand differently. For more details you can check us pat. no 6,334,435 B1 issued jan. 1 2002 at http://www.uspto.gov/patft/

Denis

The possibility of using compressed air to power vehicles and machinery seems very promising. However, I am curious about how dangerous they might be. For instance, what would happen if a compressed air vehicle gets into an accident. Can the fuel storage container explode or combust?

Another thing I would like to know is how much energy it takes to produce the compressed air? Don't you need a machine to compress the air first?

I'm not at all suggesting that steam power would be a poor choice. I would just like to know exactly what the energy costs and possible drawbacks are when comparing it to other renewable energy technologies.

Colibri,
    You're asking some of the good questions.
    The compressed air car is a complete farce.
    They conveniently miss or misrepresent several facts whenever the charletans talk about them.
    - the fact that energy is required to compress air is often omitted or dismissed. In reality, air compression is highly inefficient because of the heat generated (remember PV=nRT from high school chemistry)
    - you're definitely right about the safety issues. It takes a tough container to safely carry enough compressed air to do very much work.
    - the issue you missed is how much energy can you carry onboard a car. Compressed air has very low specific energy and energy density (ie you're not going to go very far on a tank of it). I seem to recall that it is slightly better than a metal spring but not much. Batteries and gasoline/air are hundreds of times better (gasoline/air is about 10 times better than batteries). This means you can travel hundreds of times further on a tank of gasoline than a tank of compressed air with the same weight.

Batteries can be charged very efficiently (about 10% loss). Probably the best way to get an understanding about efficiency of an alternative energy/propulsion scheme is to look at how much waste heat is produced. Steam can be a pretty good way to extract the energy from a fuel, however, it's tough to use in a mobile environment (hence diesel locomotives replaced even closed-cycle steam ones)

More Info Please

JD will you contact me? I'm interested.
    zenurez@yahoo.com

Hey I Told Paul How To Make It ..jd

Hey Everyone, It's Jd The Guy You All Talk About .
    I Sent Paul A E-mail Telling All . The Reson I Havent Got On For A Wile . For Some Reason . I Could Not Get On The Site .
    I Like This New Site It Is Diffrent From The One We Started With..
    In 95 I Think,
    But I Sent Paul An E-mail 3 Day's Ago Telling how My Idea Works.
    How To Make One And I Sent Him A Pic Of My First Idea Of It ..
    If He Wants To Tell You All That It Dont Work Now ..
    I Dont Know What To Tell You ... Im Watting For An Ancwer From Him .. When I Get It . I Will Know If Im Going To Tell All Of You . Or
    See If Hybrid Wants To Make Me An Offer . If Not I Will Tell You How It Is Done So If You Want To Find Out Keep In Toudh And Wee Will See What Happends..
    Most Of The Time He Get's Right Back With Me But . I Think He Is Talking It Over With Some Higher Power..
    But I Want To Thank All Of You That Are On My Side Im Trying To Do Everything I Can To Save You Some Money..
    Till Then ... Thanks ......jd

This Is How It Works...

I Invented A Way To Run Anything That Use's Gas.. On Air.. I Can Tell You How To Make A Car Run On Air.
    A Moter Bike , Run On Air.
    I Know How To Run An Eletric Componey , On Air. I Have Stuff To Show You ..
    . So That We All Can Save Money. And Stop All The .
    Rasing Prices On Gas. Electric,
    You Can Use My Idea . For Your Home.
    To Power It . To Cool It To Heat It ..
    It Is Real And I Know How To Do It ..
    Please.. Hear I Will Tell You How To Make A Motor Bike Run On Air..
    I Came Up With The Idea . At Work One Day..
    Just Playing Around.
    I Was A Grinder I Used Air Tools.
    We Used Dollys To Move Stuf Around .
    These Where Big Ones To
    I Was Goofing Around At Work
    I Sat On One Of The Dollys And I Touched The Tier With The Grinder
    The Dolly And I Shot Acros The Room..
    That Got Me Thinking, If This Littel Air Tool Can Move Me And This Big Dolly What If I Had A Biger Air Tool.
    Now If You Take A Air Moter . A Compreser A Battery An Altanater
    And A Tank Put Them On Somthing With Weels You Could Drive It Around..
    This Is What I Did.
    I Got All This Stuff
    I Made A Fram .
    And Put It To Gether.
    And The Only Thing The Hybrid Is Missing Is An Altanater,
    So Here It Is ..
    The Compreser Files The Tank.
    The Tank Runs The Moter
    The Moter Moves The Car
    The Moving Of The Tiers Runs The Altanater
    The Altnater Charges The Battery.
    The Battery Runs The Compreser....
    What Is Takin Out Is Put Back In
    Make Sence...
    Thanks Jd ....................

air bicycle

I have read almost all of your ideas so far and find them very interresting. I am trying to design an air assisted bicycle for fun. I hope 4-20oz paintball tainks can give me a range of about 1 hour if I assist. There is a compressor from Air America that produces 4500 psi for about $550 USD. The tanks are about $100 each. As for the rest, I will price eventually. I figure attaching a hydraulic cylinder to the left pedal for propulsion. A 1 square inch average cylinder will give me about the same amount of push as pressure released from the tank(30 psi=30 pounds down on pedal). with a stroke of 20inches, this is about (30psi*20cu in/15psi(atmospheric pressure)) 40 cu inches of atmospheric air volume per half rotation of front sproket. A cylinder holds 36cu inches(20oz) @ 4500 psi(36*4500/15psi) =10800*4 tanks=43200cu in atmospheric air.
    Now for more numbers: 40 cu in(half rotation) * 2 = 80. 1 rotation per second = 60 rpm *80 = 4800. 43200(total reserve)/4800= 9 minutes of power assist.
    I think I need bigger tanks.

get the fact right

I am so sick of hearing that. It is getting electric power but what is easier to control???? 200 million cars and a few hundred power plants???????????? Not to mention that coal plants have reduced emissions yet have greatly increased output. It would reduce city pollution while improving air quality. Those millions of uncontrol emission cars won't do that. No, it's not a perfect solution YET!! but it's a great improvement.

get facts right

It's not polution free, it just relocates the polution from the tailpipe of the car to the coil and oil burning power plants.

I am so sick of hearing that. It is getting electric power but what is easier to control???? 200 million cars and a few hundred power plants???????????? Not to mention that coal plants have reduced emissions yet have greatly increased output. It would reduce city pollution while improving air quality. Those millions of uncontrol emission cars won't do that. No, it's not a perfect solution YET!! but it's a great improvement.