+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oil Change in a HCH

Does anyone do their own? Is it hard? I don't trust jiffy lube after that 20/20 special?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Oil Change in a HCH

No, I don't do my own, but I've watched my dealer change the oil in my 2003 HCH (which now has 67,000 miles on it) and my wife's 2004 HCH. Frankly, it looks like a pain: There's a bunch of bolts holding the aerodynamic engine compartment bottom pan on, and I really wouldn't want to take them off by crawling underneath a car in a driveway. So I'm happy to let somebody who has the right equipment (a big hydraulic lift) take care of it.

Oil Change in a HCH

I wouldn't trust Iffy Lube either, regardless of any 20/20 special. You can do it yourself, but depending on what you consider the time-value of your own time, you may just want to stick with having the dealer do it. Another upside to having the dealer do the oil changes is that when you save all the receipts, it can help you prove teh car was well maintained when you sell it.

Oil Change in a HCH

I just had a firestone guy do it for $15. I provided the oil and honda filter. He just unscrewed a bolt and let the oil drain. Do he not do something that you think your honda dealer did?

Oil Change in a HCH

Jeff, run outside and look underneath your HCH and see if you still have the bottom cover on the underside of your engine compartment! <grin> If you don't, you've been ripped off.

No way anybody can "just unscrew a bolt and let the oil drain" on a Honda Civic Hybrid. That would be like changing the air filter without opening the hood.

Oil Change in a HCH

Looks like I've been ripped off. I dont have a panel. How much is that going to cost? Am I doing damage to my car by not having it?

Oil Change in a HCH

The part is only $41. Sucks, but that's not too bad. Anything else I should have on my car that might be missing?

Oil Change in a HCH

Jeff, the panel is for aerodynamics, not for damage protection. It's possible that Iffy Lube or a similar place may have taken it off for an oil change then never put it back on. If there are other operators of the vehicle besides you, it's also possible (although unlikely) that they snagged it on a curb or rock and ripped the underbody panel off and never mentioned it to you. The dealer should be able to identify if any other parts are missing besides the main underbody aero cover.

Oil Change in a HCH

Thanks, I'll take it to Honda. Iffy Lube! HHAHAHAHAH

Oil Change in a HCH

I have changed the oil 3 times on my HCH. The plastic bolts that hold the panel are a pain in the butt to remove. Other than that, the filter and bolt are very accessible. I had to replace some plastic bolts and they are 3.50$ each plastic thing.