+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hybrids versus biodiesel; who's cleaner?

I am trying to compare the S02 emissions for Hybrids versus non-Hybrids. Do you have any idea how to do this or what it is? Ideally I would like to know (generally speaking) on average how many fewer SO2 emissions per mile I will get on my Hybrid versus non-Hybrid.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Randy, it's a direct proportion based on MPG - isn't it?

Keep in mind-whoever it was that said oil has to be pumped & transported- to great damage to the environment- that biodiesel, although carbon neutral, comes from somewhere. Massive fields of soy (in the U.S. most bio is virgin), mean that native grasses, prairie, or forest are plowed under- wetlands drained, fertilizers applied etc... to grow the oilseeds to make the diesel- at this stage- that is how most biodiesel is made.

Yeah oil is damaging as well- especially the wars we fight for it, but to critters who lived in the meadow before it got plowed under, or who'd like to live in it as it lay fallow, or to the folks who live downstream from the farms, biodiesel isn't 100% free of the damaging infrastructure attributed to oil.

In any regard, efficient is better, hybrids are definately cleaner out the tailpipe, but less carbon offset. In sum- anything's better than a Hummer (the car).
    P.S. My rockband neighbors (the Thermals) just turned down a $55,000 offer to use their tune in a hummer commercial- and they aren't rich.

I like my diesel f-250 6.0liter but I cant run higher than 15-20% mix or it will not run well at all. I think biodeisel is great but it is complicated to deal with. My tractors runs on it too, but they suffer the same problem as my truck.

If you are not interested in messing with the science of mixing fuels and having to tweak your car and all, I would go with hybrid technology.

The problem I see is that the public needs to be educated better on alternativre fuels and power systems. The days of the good old v-8 are going away but were in this transition phase which is difficult.

PS:There are a lot of really smart people writing in this thread. I am very impressed at the knowledge base here.

Besides the environmental aspects does anyone out there have an opinion as to which runs better in snow and cold whether?

Ed Zuckerman,

"Does a diesel or a hybrid "run better" in cold weather.
    "Run better" can mean a lot of things.

I have owned several diesels and I live in a cold climate (occasionally 15 below zero).

The VW rabbit diesel could be a bear to start. And diesel fuel could turn to jelly and not run. This was true of all diesels of that time. You needed a block heater or some other device.

The diesel engine has been reinvented.

My '96 VW diesel Passat TDI(stands for Turbo Direct Injection). This past winter we reached 10-15 below zero one night and I intentionaly left the car outdoors to see if it would start in the morning. It took about 30 seconds for the yellow glow plug light to go out. It groaned and turned over a bit but didn't start. Another attempt and it was turning over but didn't start. The third attempt was successful. The Passat has 256,000 miles on it.

Bear in mind that that VW diesel engine was already advanced, glow plugs were improved, diesel winter additives were available, and in cold weather oil companies changed diesel to a winter blend.

Did you know that glow plugs are no longer needed to start a diesel? The Dodge Ram trucks are available with 6 cylinder Cummins Diesel engines that have no glow plugs. Instead, they use an Intake Manifold Heater. What it does is heat the
    incoming air to a temperature to that enables the diesel fuel to combust. I believe I read that that it requires only 60 degrees to do that.

efficient ? ? ?

hybrids around here ( Phila PA ) rarely come close to the mpg I'm getting with my 2001 Jetta tdi - my Prius friend complains he's getting 35-40 city and 30-35 hwy mpg - not nearly what the epa rated. I get 40-45 city and 50-55 mpg hwy. I can cruise at 80 and get 52 mpg. Now that I've found a biodiesel station I'll be cleaner than a hybrid out of the tailpipe - low sulphur/soot and the vw already has egr and a cat. Biodiesel does need a crop - so the hot lick is blue/green algae - yields 3500 gallons per acre as opposed to 100 gallons per acre for soy based biodiesel.

Now those hybrids - fossil fuels - wrong .
    Batteries - heck we have to put a worn out flashlight battery in a toxic waste disposal container - now think - millions of hybrids batteries to deal with - why would you even create the problem.

ducking inside for the flames coming now . . .

I have been running straight veg oil from the local Dairy Queen for 18 months with no additives in it. I do not see how you can get any cleaner then this.

Wow. i must say, except for a few people this form is VERY smart.

i am on my 4th diesel vw. ive owned 2 86 jettas 1 turbo one NA, a 98 tdi, and now a 01 gold tdi.

from experiance i can say that for highway driving the diesel is better. the car will be more powerfull and responsive because its not lugging around 2 drivetrains.

i have rarly gotten less then 40 miles to the gallon in the city and hav e gotten more then 55 on the highway doin 75.

i have never fueled with biodiesel as its not available in my area but look forward to it.

Hello, everybody.

Just wanted to weigh in in favor of Biodiesel fuel, if it's available.

You can purchase B20, B50, B99 and B100 fairly easily here in the Pacific Northwest, but you will pay a premium for it over regular diesel.

If you haven't already done so, check into Biodiesel-purchasing cooperatives. While some of these MIGHT BE a scam, from what I've read/seen these are a great way to make a group buy on some clean biodiesel fuel. YMMV.

I believe that the USA needs multiple, competitive fuel sources for domestic transportation and vehicles. The current nigh-monopoly of petro-based fuel is unfortunate, creating economic and political instability.

A big thumbs up to all of us here who are trying to do our little part.