+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Hybrids versus biodiesel; who's cleaner?

In the western NY state...where can I locate a good deisel conversion kit. Are there reliable shops to do the conversion? Is it possible to get biodeisel iol in western NY? Hope this is not too novice for this blog

Robin
    Rochester, NY

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Toyota in Europe sell a 1.4l turbo diesel(D4D), 60+mpg form experience.
    Actually most manufacturers are offering small diesels, but after driving the toyota and experiencing its performance, I would not even consider a hybird.

Replying to Brian's initial question, I noticed you refered to the Jetta TDI.

As you may know, VW of North America does not recommend using a biodiesel blend any higher than 5%.

So really, the basis of your question is faulted, your point moot.

If you're looking to purchase a TDI for whatever reason, go ahead and do that. But don't pretend that you're purchasing a vehicle that can run reliably on a high biodiesel mixture.

Unless you plan on doing lots of fun maintenance on the car yourself.

I'll be honest with you: I' m a TDI driver, having owned and driven the same car since 1998. Overall I'm satisfied with my ownership experience.

But I also am not self-deceived by some false environmental consciousness. Gasoline cars - of which hybrids are - pollute, and diesels also pollute. But differently.

And there are major international disputes as to whose definition of "pollution" really matters: particulates, nitrous oxides or carbon-based CO2 "green-house gasses". And the arguments are all centered around one of two axes: economics (i.e. global capitalism) vs environment.

You can guess which way the U.S. voted, which is what the US EPA bases its pollution standards upon. Which is why less diesel cars will be sold in the US next year.

So you should go ahead and consider a hybrid car, and go to sleep at night knowing that you're being environmentally conscious - to the US EPA's global-capitalist-centric view of what pollution standards are about.

Better yet, we could all do a serious personal inventory of our lifestyles, commuting and work habits, which may have a greater impact upon our environment than diesel vs hybrids.

Diesel is more widely available. We have diesel convertibles, station wagons, vans, and they are available with a sunroof.

You can't get any of that stuff on a hybrid. No hybrid convertibles, no hybrid vans, no hybrid wagons. There are other topics dealing with the lack of such hybrids.

"Diesel is more widely available."
    This isn't universally true. There are no diesel cars available in my state. I wish there were in order to have more choices but alas, the pollution reputation of diesels has been the excuse to ban them from the most populous state.

By the way, the 79 Cutlass supreme diesel was available with t-tops. I saw one for sale somewhere, but by the time I inquired about it, it was already sold