+ Reply to Thread

Who makes the electric motors?

Hondas and Toyotas are known for their reliability. I am concerned with the reliability of the electric motors. Do all manufacturers use the same motor and how do you measure performance?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

They're very different beasts. The Honda uses a DC motor, the Toyota and Ford use permanent-magnet AC motors.

I can tell you the AC motors are very reliable because there just isn't much to go wrong.

2006 Lexus RX 400h

http://www.just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?art=47025

Like other Lexus vehicles, the RX 400h comes with a 48-month/50,000-mile basic limited warranty with roadside assistance for 48-months/unlimited miles. Powertrain and restraint system coverage is provided for 72 months/70,000 miles. Corrosion perforation protection is covered for 72 months, regardless of mileage. The hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for eight years/100,000 miles.

Has anyone ever heard of the motors failing? The Insight has been out since 2000 and the first generation Prius came out in 2001. To this day, I've still never heard of a single motor failure anywhere in the entire country. I've read stories of a couple battery packs failing, but I've still never heard of a motor failing. I would suspect Honda/Toyota electric motors probably last longer than the regular gasoline engines from most other manufacturers.