+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

I have a 02 Prius. My OEM

I have a 02 Prius. My OEM tires started wearing quickly also. Talking to mechanic, suggested inflating tires to 35 psi and rotating at each oil change. Have about doubled mileage on the Dunlop SP10's since. The new tires will be the Integrity because they are cheaper and seem to wear longer.
    So keep rotating those tires and keep the tire pressure up to spec!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Okay, than if an 80,000 mile

Okay, than if an 80,000 mile tire wears out at 20,000 and all the shops are saying your car is fine, than the common denominator is you. Ever think maybe you drive the car to hard?

We have a 2007 Prius, bought

We have a 2007 Prius, bought new, driven only by us seniors. I can get a little heavy-footed now and then, but my wife drives like an old lady, so we average out.

The tires get rotated twice a year. It now has 36.5K miles on it. It averages about 45 MPG. (BTW, the Toyota claim of 55 MPG was hype and apparently they were told to cut it out; however lots of people still want to believe it.) We travel cross-country twice a year, totaling about 6000 miles; the rest is mostly local, with the occasional day trip over the freeways, usually timed to avoid the rush hour jams.

On one of those recent trips to LAX in the rain, I noticed a bit of hydro-planing. The tires are half bald, so I went by the local Wal-Mart to get a quote.

Four Goodyear Viva 2 Tires come to $320, plus Road Hazard Warranty $40, Life Time Balance $30, Valve Stem $8; bringing it to $398. Add CA tax, disposal of old tires, and 'safety' something. I have had good luck with my local Wal-Mart tires & service in the past but would like to hear what others have to say about the Goodyear Viva 2 Tires. Thx.

The Michelin - HydroEdge®

The Michelin - HydroEdge® tires are fantastic! Bought them from Costco as well. I love the way my 2004 Prius handled on the road. Big improvement. We noticed that are gas mileage decreased by about 2-3 mpg, but the better performance and long wear more than made up for it. Unfortunetely, a nail in the tire during a long trip prevented us from finding out how long they would last. I would definitely buy them again.

Claire, What did you learn

Claire,
    What did you learn and what did you buy? Are you happy with the new tires you have? I also have a 2007 Touring Prius and will need tires in the next month or two. Thanks, Mary

I have 2008 Prius and just

I have 2008 Prius and just completed 45000 miles on original set of tires. Just got one busted yesterday and looking for new set. Thanks for discussion. It helps.

I drive a 2008 Prius, and am

I drive a 2008 Prius, and am at 41,000 on my original tires. With yesterday's oil change I found that while the tread is fine on the tires, they are worn on the inside. So I will need to replace these before winter. I keep my tires at 40 in the winter, then 42 front, 41 back in the warmer months. I am currently exceeding 50mgp....winter time my average gas mileage is around 43. So I think I may just stick with the Goodyears when I get mine replaced. I like getting the good gas mileage, and while I wish this car braked better and wasn't so slippy slidy on wet pavement, I have learned to work with that, and would prefer to not give up the great gas mileage.

Our Prius is 2008 with 65000

Our Prius is 2008 with 65000 miles. The tires are original and we drive mostly highway. What a wonderful auto. We get 47.3 mpg. I'll take it. Always service 5000 miles. Just serviced and tires ok. We are in Canada 1/2 year and will change tires in US, Florida when we return. Another 4-5000 miles. Sounds like alot of strange drivers above.

I have 75,000 miles on my

I have 75,000 miles on my original tires, 2005 prius. They're Goodyears, made in Japan

OEM Goodyears on my 2006

OEM Goodyears on my 2006 Prius were bald at 40k. Replaced them with Yokohama TRZ's (80k warranty) from the Toyota dealer. They seem to be good tires but my avg hwy/city mpg (summer) went from 48 to 44. Not sure why - same size tires - same tire pressures - same driving habits. Maybe I should have bought the Michelin Hydro's?