+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Evidently the term "best

Evidently the term "best performance" has greater number of meanings than I attach to it! To me "best performance" is achieved when one drives an automobile further on each $ spent on total cost (this includes capital purchase price, annual cost of servicing the vehicle, frequency and cost of replacing tires, frequency and cost of replacing brake pads/discs/rotors etc. and lastly; gasoline and oil). I suspect the individual with the "best performance" comment judges a vehicle to be performing best if it'll go from 0 to 60 in 5 or 6 seconds. Or screeching to a stop in a relatively short distance. I still get better than 52 miles per gallon when I drive my 2007 Prius and expect original tires that came on my vehicle will last me up to (and probably beyond) 60,000 miles. I get the "best performance" out of my Prius when I consistently go from a dead stop at a traffic sign or signal up to about 18 to 22 miles per hour solely using my electric motor before the gasoline engines kicks in. I also see little value in going from 65 to 70 miles per hour freeway speed onto an exit ramp faster than about 45 miles per hour only to use hard braking to slow down to 30 miles per hour at the end of the exit. Once again. to get high mileage from a set of tires (as well as better gas mileage) I maintain: Use the brake pedal and gas pedal is little as is necessary to drive legal speeds on thoroughfares. The only "undriven" car is one that's in a museum and never taken out on any road. Is a car that's aggressively, carelessly or forcefully driven the "ultimate" in "best performance"? I think not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I took my 2008 prius in for

I took my 2008 prius in for its 15,000 check up and was told our front tires are bald on the inside. I never heard of tires wearing out so fast. I see by the comments that this is an overall trend with the tires on the prius????? Anyone have problems with the gas pedal and the floor mats?

I have these on my 2007

I have these on my 2007 Prius. A wonderful tire! I am used to driving a heaver car, and it almost got away from me in the rain and wind with 3/8" standing water at 55 mph. I went to the Hydro edge because the Prius is so light and prone to hydroplaning. Since we have put these on, it is a lil rougher ride, but a noticeable improvement on wet roads with side winds. I put them on at 25K miles, I now have 58K on it, no noticeable wear. No mileage difference. Also a little more noise on grooved cement, asphalt no difference. And they do brake better.

I'm sorry, but I wonder how

I'm sorry, but I wonder how many complaining of excessive wear on their tires have been over inflating them by more than 5psi.

Excessive pressure = increased wear.

The Michelin's last a long

The Michelin's last a long time. We have 100K miles on our set. It was put on by Toyota under warranty when the original Good Year tires were unsafe. While we get good mileage on the Michelin they are a terrible tire. They are noisy and give a bad ride. Having ridden in other Prius's I find almost anything else is quieter and gives a better ride but they wear out much faster. It depends upon what you want. For us it doesn't matter how long the Michelin last the noise and ride is so poor we will replace tires more often to get a more enjoyable ride, my wife says it doesn't matter what we put on next time just so it isn't a Michelin. This runs with the experience I have had with Michelin on five other cars, never liked them and they never gave the performance the promised. From Cad, Explorer, Thunderbird, Porche & Corvette all have been a disappointment.

Good Luck

I have owned 2 Prius -- one

I have owned 2 Prius -- one was 2005 & now 2008. I liked the 2005 better, higher quality & better gas mileage. But, with both cars the original tires 'suck'. Poor wear and needing new tires in less than TWO years. (almost 1.5) I do both city & highway driving. I get them rotated, careful w/ breaking & inflation. I've heard wear is because of the weight of the car. Don't know what new tire to go with -- Goodyear, Michelin?? Maybe Costco would be the place to go??

I have used the Michelin

I have used the Michelin Hydroedge on a different car. They are great tires but - bear in mind these were designed at the same time as the Michelin tires that caused cancellation of the Indy Formula I. I had the same experience with my passenger car tires as the race drivers had. The sidewalls blew out at the slightest provocation.

I have a 2007 Touring Pruis.

I have a 2007 Touring Pruis. I have the original tires on and I'm sitting at 50K on milage, rotated regularly and drive on average 75-80mph, I drive streets alot and commute to LA a few times a month. I need to get new ones. I want a smooth ride and tires that stick to the road. Looking for 50K-80K wear Please help. I know nothing about tires. All thses comments are great but some don't mention what tire they ended with. Please help I need to change them fast.

My front tires are wearing

My front tires are wearing out and need to be replaced ASAP. I have a '08 and 27,400 miles on them. I take it in to the dealership for rotation and alignment. Will the warrenty cover these tires? What are the best tires for a Hybrid car?

I've read multiple people

I've read multiple people saying that the Prius is a light car. Do you realize that it weighs almost 3,000 pounds? That is because of the multiple motors in the front of the car and the bank of batteries in the back of the car.

I have a 2005 Prius and am also frustrated with the wear that I've gotten from my tires. Original were the Goodyear Integrity and the second set were from Big O; their brand with the warranty on them. I have to say that I got more mileage out of the Goodyears but I pushed it just a little.

I haven't read all of the comments but the typical mileage that any tire dealer recommends to rotate is 5,000 miles. That's what Big O recommended. I think we're going about this wrong. We need to rotate every 2,000 or 2,500 miles. That is what I will be doing this next time. We've got 92,000+ miles on the car and are in need of four brand new tires. Before I sign on the dotted line I'm going to get it in writing from the dealer that I want to rotate sooner than the recommended 5,000 miles. If they say no then I say no. I think we need to be a little more proactive when we fork over money for tires that are supposed to last 60,000 miles or more but instead get only 40,000 miles.

We certainly aren't coming out on top on this one.

As for the tire I'm going to get, don't know yet but I can tell you that the best mileage I got was on the Goodyears. My daily RT commute was 100 miles. My average MPG's during that commute was 55 MPG with my best ever being 59.74 MPG's.

Good luck! I don't know what will happen with the shorter rotational mileage but we'll see.