+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Best tire size for the Toyota Prius?

The Prius seems to have small tires. My experience with my non-hybrid is that mileage improves and I get better tire wear /performance if the tire diameter is increased. A friend with an '03 Prius asked me what she could do, she is having too much trouble with tire damage and rapid tread wear.

Any advice I should pass along?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

There isn't much room in there for a larger tire. I'm very conflicted on Prius tires as the Classic Prius shipped with some of the worst tires I've ever owned. In fact they wore out so fast I was provided a new set under warranty.

I can tell you many of us have gotten better wear out of the stock Bridgestones by increasing tire pressure. Most folks are running 42 front, 40 rear or even more. The Bridgestones are 50 psi tires so they are not even being stressed. Mileage also seems to go up a little with higher tire pressure.

My plan previously was to move to Nokian NRT2 tires but they have been very hard to find at least in the western US. I can get the Bridgestones at Costco...

I should hasten to add that we increase tire pressure at our own risk, your mileage may vary, this is not to be construed as medical advice, etc. etc.

Have people had good luck using the Goodyear Integrity for the Toyota Prius 2001?

I use the Goodyear Integrity on my 2002 Prius. It's wearing much better than the stock Bridgestones. My first set of Potenzas wore out at 16,000 miles; the second at 30,000 (14,000 miles later). My Integrities are looking good with 45,000 on the odometer (15,000 miles of wear), and they cost half as much. I keep them inflated to 42/40 PSI.

Mind you, when I go into the Toyota dealer, they yell at me saying that I'm using a tire that is not rated for that weight, 42/40 is over-inflating the tire, blah blah. But Goodyear still recommends the Integrity for the Prius Classic. So yes, you're doing this at your own risk.

My MPG has not changed, but the ride is more rough with the Integrities, because of the higher tire pressure.

No experience with a Prius, but it is not surprising for the original equipment tires on any car to show poor wear. The reason for this is that OEM tires are often inferior in quality to the tires you buy to replace them. If you replace OEM Bridgestones with the same model, you are likely to experience much better wear. I won't swear that this is universally true, but did get this information from a Toyota dealer regarding another Toyota model. Nice to know that when you are shelling out $20K plus for new vehicles that the manufacturers are nickel-and-diming you on tires.

Replacement Bridgestones wear better

Here's my experience: I pushed the OEM Potenzas to almost 29,000 miles until I had a blowout with one; then I replaced them all. I guess I did pretty well compared to some people. After a bunch of research, I swallowed hard and bought Potenzas again. I'm now at 75,000 miles and finally have to replace them again -- so 40,000 miles or so with the replacements.

The 05 Prius came with 15

The 05 Prius came with 15 inch tires. The 08 comes with 16 inch tires. Did Toyota change the configuration of the openings so that the larger tire can be used or are all the openings the same (05-08)?
    Can the 16 inch tire be used on the 05 vehicle?

Using 16 inch rims on a car

Using 16 inch rims on a car delivered with 15 inch tires may cause odometer/speedometer problems.

The odometer and speedometer work by counting revolutions on the drive shaft.

The odometer is factory calibrated for the gear ratio and tire size on the axle. X number revolutions of the drive shaft = 1 mile

When you increase the rim size, you DECREASE the number of drive shaft revolutions per mile. Your speedometer and odometer may no longer be accurate.

I am curious has any one

I am curious has any one considered this idea to help improve MPG. In Japan they are getting alot more MPG out of their Prius and one of the things they did was use less resistant rotating tires. With that in mind how about a bigger rim with a lower profile tire, and to avoid speedo issues, keep the over all wheel diameter the same or go just a little bigger-less rotation.