Hybrid Batteries

What are the hybrid batteries made of?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hybrid Batteries

Nickel Metal Hydrid (NMIH)

Hybrid Batteries

The Escape batteries (all 250 of them) are Nickel Metal Hydrides. They deep cycle very well and should last for many years. By the time we need any new ones, they will be inexpensive to replace. They are the size of a "D" cell (in bundles of 5).

Hybrid Batteries

What's the voltage of each cell?

Hybrid Batteries

Approximately 1.3 volts per cell or 6.5 volts per 5 pack.

Hybrid Batteries

All three hybrid platforms (Ford, Toyota and Honda) are using NiMH technology. These batteries are not the densest energy storage available, but they have proven themselves to be very durable, are made without heavy metals (like NiCd) and are a good performance/cost balance.

Hybrid Batteries

NiMH is also the only type of battery which contains no toxic chemicals, and who's recycling and disposal is entirely unrestricted by the EPA because there is no potential for environmental damage. Lithium Ion would have higher energy per pound, but it's more expensive and contains toxins.

NiMH technology is still improving as we refine our ability to manufacture, charge, and discharge the cells at their peak efficiency. As vehicles themselves become more efficient (lighter components, lower drag) the gap between what electric assist and power demands will shrink. Some companies are also talking about fitting solar cells underneath large sunroofs so the battery can be topped off while parked in open sun, further improving efficiency.

Hybrid Batteries

I was told the replacement cost of the batteries will be about $7,000, and as one who tends to keep cars for many years, I'm a little concerned about that. Do any of you know approximately how many miles/years the batteries are expected to last?
    Also, it has occurred to me that that a used hybrid car with high mileage might be harder to sell because of the buyer's fear of having to plunk down a huge amount of $ soon after for replacement batteries. Any thoughts?

Hybrid Batteries

Toyota claims they have yet to replace a battery pack in a Prius. I do know that when the technology was first made available the expectation was that NiMH batteries would only last for a few hundred cycles, but as the batteries have been in use it's being discovered they are far more durable than previously expected. There are some Priuses in British Columbia in taxi service with well over 100K miles that are still on their original batteries.

Hybrid Batteries

Ford warrants the batteries for 8 years or 100,000 miles, same as the motor and transmission. I think by then, the cost will be negligible and the little 5 packs can be replaced for less than $50 each if you get a bad cell.