+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Hybrid HOV Waiver in Virginia

what is up with this stupid hov restriction?
    i cant stand the smug people who theink they can do what ever they want just because they own a hybred!

my TDI beetle is far more efficient than any of your hybreds.
    I hope they start restricting hybreds on july 1

or start letting TDI's run on the HOV.,

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Any one can go and purchase a hybrid. It is your choice and now the people who abided by the law are the ones being punished. I will not vote for any lawmaker who voted against this.
    Joyce
    Northern Virginia

To tell the truth, I'd like to see them restrict the entirety of the Northern Virginia commuter highways to bicycles. There is no safe way at all to use a bicycle to really get around this area.

As to the diesel TDIs, etc., the data show high levels of cancer everywhere diesels go.

I'd rather cycle alongside a sea of hybrids than a sea of TDI's. But best of all, I'd rather see other cyclists.

On this whole HOV thing, if the environment really is an argument, the logic is really not very clear. You could easily argue from the other end, since the amount of time the most polluting cars are running should be reduced they should be allowed on HOV. Since hybrids, on the other hand are really most efficient in stop&go traffic, and pollute least in that environment, they could afford to stand in traffic for hours.

HOV exemptions make absolutely no sense, unless of course you are a lobbyist and are paid from Hybrid manufacturers.

Hey Jim, (bicycle guy)

It is good that you are riding your bike around but you need to look at what people have been writing,

The HOV restrictions are lifted for clean fuel vehicles. The following types of fuels MAY qualify a vehicle for clean special fuel plates:
    · Compressed Natural Gas
    · Electricity
    · Ethane
    · Hydrogen
    · Hythane
    · Liquefied Natural Gas
    · Liquefied Petroleum Gas
    · Methane
    · Solar
    · Combination of two types of clean special fuels
    Hybrid Vehicles (Not all hybrids qualify for clean special fuel license plates.)
    The following hybrid vehicles meet California's super ultra-low emission vehicle (SULEV) rating or the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) equivalent and, therefore, qualify for a clean special fuel license plate:
    · 2005-2007 Ford Escape
    · 2006 Honda Accord
    · Honda Civic
    · Honda Insight
    · 2007 Lexus GS450h
    · 2006 Lexus RX400h
    · 2006-2007 Mercury Mariner
    · 2007 Toyota Camry
    · 2006 Toyota Highlander
    · Toyota Prius
    The 2002 and newer VW TDI meets the California's super ultra-low emission vehicle (SULEV) rating.
    When running b100 or 100% biodiesel, all diesel engines exceed California's super ultra-low emission vehicle (SULEV) rating.

The cancer causing diesel fumes are mostly put out by the older diesel engines on the road and off road construction equipment like bulldozers and cranes and other building equipment.

The newer diesel cars (like the ones that the above writers are discussing) have 80% less emissions than the older diesel engines.

Additionally, if you run 100% Bio-diesel, then you have ZERO cancer causing emissions. The moral of the story is, that if you have a diesel, you can burn clean burning bio-diesel in place of regular diesel, you cant do that with a hybrid, gasoline is always going to be a dirty burning fuel regardless of whether you have a hybrid or not.

· Biodiesel fuel burns up to 75% cleaner than conventional diesel fuel made from fossil fuels
    · Biodiesel substantially reduces unburned hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and particulate matter in exhaust fumes
    · Sulphur dioxide emissions are eliminated (biodiesel contains no sulphur)
    · Biodiesel is plant-based and adds no CO2 to the atmosphere
    · The ozone-forming potential of biodiesel emissions is nearly 50% less than conventional diesel fuel
    · Nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions may increase or decrease but can be reduced to well below conventional diesel fuel levels by adjusting engine timing and other means
    · Biodiesel exhaust is not offensive and doesn't cause eye irritation (it smells like French fries!)
    · Biodiesel is environmentally friendly: it is renewable, "more biodegradable than sugar and less toxic than table salt" (US National Biodiesel Board)
    · Biodiesel can be used in any diesel engine
    · Fuel economy is the same as conventional diesel fuel
    · Biodiesel is a much better lubricant than conventional diesel fuel and extends engine life -- a German truck won an entry in the Guinness Book of Records by traveling more than 1.25 million km (780,000 miles) on biodiesel with its original engine
    · Biodiesel has a high cetane rating, which improves engine performance: 20% biodiesel added to conventional diesel fuel improves the cetane rating 3 points, making it a Premium fuel
    · Biodiesel can be mixed with ordinary petroleum diesel fuel in any proportion, with no need for a mixing additive.
    · Even a small amount of biodiesel means cleaner emissions and better engine lubrication: 1% biodiesel will increase lubricity by 65%
    · Biodiesel can be produced from any fat or vegetable oil, including waste cooking oil.
    What really needs to happen here is a government mandate that says that there needs to be no less than 20% biodiesel in all diesel fuel.

The implications would be of great benefit.
    One being that 20% of all diesel fuel would be grown in the good ol’ UsofA by American farmers and not imported from terrorists.

You make some good points. But switching all the HOV lanes to bicycles would accomplish more...

Also, the idea of letting Hybrids use the HOV lanes is that it encourages hybrid ownership. You can't just look at the emissions of two competing vehicles while they are on the commuter road!

"One being that 20% of all diesel fuel would be grown in the good ol’ UsofA by American farmers and not imported from terrorists."

US farmers use huge amounts of petroleum products (such as fertilizer) to produce their products. They also use their smoggy cancer-causing tractors and trucks to produce, harvest, and ship their organic, bio-, earth-friendly stuff to the folks who clog the roads around around here with their Euro-diesels.

the farmers need to make their own diesel,

Rudolph Diesel invented the diesel February 27, 1892.
    In 1893, the first model ran under its own power with 26% efficiency.

In February of 1897, he ran the "first diesel engine suitable for practical use, which operated at an unbelievable efficiency of 75%.

about the same efficiency as todays gas powered cars.

one major difference, his engine was designed to run off of the vegatable oil produced by the plants he grew on his farm.

there is no reason why we cant reduce by 20% or more TODAY the amount of diesle being consumed here in america just by growing and producing bio-diesel here in america.

one question, what do you do when it is snowing and raining? would you like to ride your bike on the HOV lane then?

so you suggest lifting the bike restriction when for inclimate weather?

then what happens when it is -20 degrees in the morning and around 70 degrees in the afternoon?

Hey Jim,

Oil is NOT used in the production of fertilizer. The macronutrients required by plants are N (Nitrogen), K (Potassium) and P (Phosphorus). Oil is hydrocarbon, made from H (Hydrogen) and C (Carbon). There are no plant nutrients in oil.

Nitrogen fertilizer (N) is made from ammonia, which in turn is manufactured from natural gas, not oil. Natural gas is not peaking, but when it does, fertilizer can be produced from coal, as is done in China today:

Fertilizers that are commonly used in agriculture contain the three basic plant nutrients: nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. Some fertilizers also contain certain "micronutrients," such as zinc and other metals, that are necessary for plant growth. Materials that are applied to the land primarily to enhance soil characteristics (rather than as plant food) are commonly referred to as soil amendments.

Everyone knows that crude oil is long and short chain hydrogens and conatins very little nitrogen.

dont propagate myths saying that fertilizer is made from oil, we dont need anyone else making the people of the united stated any dumber.

Hey Carrie-

I should have said "fossil fuel" rather than petroleum. Similar effects on global warming, but not equivalent in most respects.

Natural gas will sure peak quickly if we have to produce fertilizer to grow corn to produce ethanol and biodiesel to replace petroleum. So will food.

People need to make room for non-motorized modes of getting around while they are figuring out how to produce enough liquid fuels to keep on truckin'. Why should I have to drive somewhere when I'd rather walk or cycle?

Jim: I admire you for cycling to work every day. Indeed if we all did that we would dramatically reduce pollution and much of the congestion, and we would all be healthier for it. I only cycle to work about twice a week, the rest of the time I drive what you call a stinky diesel (2000 Jetta TDI). The truth however is that many of us will never be able to bike to work, simply because our bodies are not all made the same way, or the distances are too great, or because we do not all have the needed facilities at work (I would arguably smell worse than my stinky diesel if I had no shower after biking in). A level playing field, really is all we can really strive for. The Diesel engine, especially now that we also have means to control particulate emmission with filters (widely available in Europe (even for heavy equipment as after market installations), and that noxious oxides emissions are in process of being solved with nitrogen injection, diesel engines are really just as clean as any gasoline engine, in fact cleaner if you consider CO emissions. And we are not even talking of biodiesel yet. This is why any kind of waiver for any kind of vehicle on HOV, is in many ways unfair, and in its current form not really conducive to improvements for the environment, and, form an economic point of view, inefficient. More efficient and sustainable transport at the end of the day is really what we are all looking for. You are defenitely doing your part, but you cannot really expect everybody to do the same!!