+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Volvo XC90 SUV Hybrid???

Does any one have any more info on this???
    This is what I found
    http://www.whatcar.com/News_Article....currentresults

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Volvo XC90 SUV Hybrid???

Well, the article is dated May 2003 so I'd say they're a bit behind schedule :-)

Since Volvo had a large hand in the FEH drivetrain I'd not be surprised to see a Volvo-badged hybrid at some point, but you have to remember Volvo is a VERY conservative company when it comes to new technology. One of the founders is quoted as saying "At Volvo we design, and we improve, but we do not invent"

Volvo XC90 SUV Hybrid???

I just thought Volvo had a "green" image

Volvo XC90 SUV Hybrid???

They certainly try to project one, but if you look at their CAFE ratings you'll see it's not what it could be.

Volvo has been fixated on performance as of late, their products have been getting bigger, more powerful engines and while they do try to keep them running clean there appears to be little interest in making them run economically.

Volvo XC90 SUV Hybrid???

Well here in the UK we are not to bad at being fuel efficent!!!

Volvo XC90 SUV Hybrid???

I dunno about the XC90 Hybrid, but the article also stated that the S80 would be following it. It looks like that would be comparable to an Accord Hybrid, and I will be very interested to see what comes of that.

Volvo XC90 SUV Hybrid???

This was taken from the following website (I cut this part out, cause there was a lot of other non-hybrid related stuff on the site): http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...6&article=7028

Ford has now announced plans for three gas-electric hybrid vehicles — the Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner, and the Ford compact sedan formerly known as Futura. Ford lost a legal challenge from Pep Boys over use of the name. But how about Volvo? Given Volvo’s fatter profit margins and the European demand for fuel-efficient vehicles, doesn’t Volvo make sense for a hybrid? “Absolutely,” says Volvo’s U.S. chief Vic Doolan. “I’d love to have a gas-electric hybrid and we are looking at it.” The car Doolan would like to see it in? He pointed to the XC90 SUV. Ford’s current hybrid system wouldn’t be sufficient for the XC90 weight. But Ford CEO Bill Ford says he is confident the second generation gas-electric hybrid system will be sufficient for Ford — and thus Volvo? — mid-sized SUVs.

Looks like those plans for the XC90 AND the S80 are a LONG way off...

Volvo XC90 SUV Hybrid???

I replaced a 2000 V70XC with a Ford Escape Hybrid. The V70XC was getting about 16MPG in around-town driving, due in part to the AWD and part to the turbocharged engine. We never got anything over 25MPG in that car.

Volvo simply won't bring their more efficient models to the US. We can't get any of the diesels here and we can't get the smaller gas engines either. I've read wonderful things about the XC90 with the diesel engine in it...

Volvo XC90 SUV Hybrid???

I did not know in the usa you were not given the small engines we get in the UK

Here we have been told americans drive big gas guserlers becauses they can NOT because they are not given the choice of efficent cars!!!

Volvo XC90 SUV Hybrid???

It is more complex than that, of course. The marketing people have decided the US buyer that they want to court wants a gas guzzler. The automakers then make the decision that they will not provide anything else. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.