+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Hybrid vs. Diesel Debate

The least polluting is a hybrid vehicle by a wide margin. Thats why the govt gives hybrod owners cash to buy them, similar to the energy credit system used in the industrial world.

The typical emissions testing doesnt even measure pollution in the majorty of those emissions profiles that get used for our state inspections.

The diffference is tons and tons per vehicle every year in use.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hybrid vs. Diesel Debate

MOS - I still disagree with your assertion that gas-hybrids are "the least polluting...by a wide margin".

I agree with Mike G. - hybrids are better wrt some emissions (e.g., PM, NOx), diesels are better on others (e.g., VOCs).

Hybrid vs. Diesel Debate

VW will not be selling any diesels next year because they don't meet the new smog requirements.

I understand there is only one diesel which does. (Mercedes?)

No diesels for sale here. All hybrids meet or beat requirements.

That should give a clue.

Hybrid vs. Diesel Debate

wxman- well we can disagree to disagree then. I think trying to say that diesels are somehow cleaner than hybrids is pretty silly though. In no way is the emission comparison close.

An electric motor has zero emissions- and over 600 miles per tank I only use 10 gallons of gas. Thats why its a "partial zero emssions vehicle."

Anyway, if we hook up a diesel car of anyones choice and a prius or honda civic hybrid to the emssions testing equipment used for state inspections-- you are going to see two very different results.

Talking about anything that cant be directly measured is fine-- but I prefer graphs and facts based on measurements.

Hybrid vs. Diesel Debate

Hot Georgia: VW will be selling the V10 TDI here next year. In 2008 an expanded diesel range will be offered that meet new emissions with particulate traps and NOx controls. Mercedes will be compliant next year with their "Bluetec" diesels, and it will be available also in the Grand Cherokee, although the Liberty diesel will be discontinued.

Hybrid vs. Diesel Debate

So the Golf will not be available this year then? I was just driving in some major traffic coming home. And stopped a prius owner to ask how he liked it. He said it was expensive, but he loved it and it did indeed give him 60mpg. And minutes later, I was driving behind a car that spewed all kinds of smelly smoke. When I pulled up to ask if the owner had any idea what was coming out of their tail pipe, the answer was this was a diesel mercedes. When I asked if they ever used biodiesel, they said they'd google it cause they've never heard of it. They also said this smoke that was coming out was because they had just started the car. Eeeeew!

Not sure that biodiesel would be as bad smelling, but it doesn't look very clean to me.

MG

Hybrid vs. Diesel Debate

How come there seem to be so many topics about "Hybrid vs Diesel"?

-htor
    www.jjroth.com

Hybrid vs. Diesel Debate

Because those are the only choices we have as of now, right?

Hybrid vs. Diesel Debate

And what year was the smelly Mercedes? I rather doubt one of the newer E320 diesels.

Here we go again comparing a 10+ year old diesel to a late-model car. Never mind hybrid or not, it is not a fair comparison.

Hybrid vs. Diesel Debate

It WAS old. But how much difference does it make if it's the diesel that smells?