+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Hybrid vs. Diesel Debate

I think there were some asian motorcycles using small diesels (Royal Enfield ?) a while back.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hybrid vs. Diesel Debate

Diesel hybrids are really only practical in non-passenger huge highway trucks, not cars. Isn't it short-sighted to think in the short run & only about oneself when have a desire for a fun, fast exciting car? Thinking like that will kill you. I know it came close to me like that several times! I'd say learn to like yourself without the external thrills & you'll look for something more sustainable, & find pleasure in that. Isn't it time to grow up as individuals & as a nation, or are we all just going to die as a nation. You might say, "Well the end of the world is here, what with the depleted resources & the so called bibical signs"? What resource of nature or people would "the savior" abuse/rape. I don't think happy mindless driving is so fun when one wakes up to what's going on & one's ignorant part in it. How much fun is being part of the problem, knowing it & to continue anyway? Is that Pompei over your shoulder as your playing your "flute"? What music is that? For whom does the bell toll? The people of the lie?

Hybrid vs. Diesel Debate

Here is a link to the abbotsford times bashing diesels with the usual stuff.

http://www.abbotsfordtimes.com/issue...042105le3.html

And the interesting rebuttal.

http://www.abbotsfordtimes.com/issue...042205le2.html

Hybrid vs. Diesel Debate

This may seem like a dumb or stupid question, but why hasn't any car company made a hybrid diesel car yet? It would be the best of both worlds.

Hybrid vs. Diesel Debate

give it time - i'm sure toyota or honda have something coming soon. don't hold your breath for a usa company. possibly volkswagon has one as well?

see ya

Hybrid vs. Diesel Debate

Yeah, I've been reading all those low statistics for American car industries. They need to get with the program and make some hybrids other than the Ford Escape. I have heard that Chevy is making a Silverado hybrid. That's all and well but that just isn't going to cut it. Ford, Chevy and Pontiac need to make some hybrids and/or need to work on the pricing issue. One reason why people go towards foreign cars is how inexpensive they are compared to the americans. I want to support American made cars but it's getting harder and harder to do.

Hybrid vs. Diesel Debate

yah its a shame american car companies support petro fuel the way they do. With very little advancements in fuel economy in recent years if ever. Hybrid suvs are a joke. But thats what most americans want. I support bio-diesel tech/hybrid, straight up biodiesel, petro/hybrid just as long as we are dropping our foreign petro demand and cleaning up the air. Petro hybrids are just transitional until we can switch over to a better technology, maybe biodiesel. I think biodiesel has alot to offer. I own a hond civic hybrid averaging 47-57 mpg . Im happy with it but I feel I could be doing better. When I get a house, I plan on getting a used diesel car or new diesel car to make my own biodiesel fuel.I think people on this web page are making sense but we need to come together and stop knocking each other because both sides mean well and thats what really matters.

Hybrid vs. Diesel Debate

I don't knock hybrids (in fact, I consider myself very much pro hybrid, even though I don't drive one), but I don't think they are the best choice for everybody, and there are plenty of legitimate reasons why somebody would not want to own one, WITHOUT being some kind of right wing, Limbaugh-listening nutjob.

For myself, nobody made a hybrid that met my needs; a high mpg car with a full host of safety features (such as side curtain airbags), at a price I could afford (less than 22,000 dollars). So I bought a used Jetta turbodiesel wagon. I get about 36-40 miles per gallon driving in traffic on roads, and it's an automatic (the manual gets more MPG, but who wants to drive one of those?) . I've also been interested in biodiesel, so there's some overlap there; a few weeks ago our local biodiesel co-op went into production and I bought about ten gallons of biodiesel.

For some people with limited $$$ that Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic might be their best choice. They'll save alot of money vs. buying a Prius, for instance, and if they don't drive alot, they won't notice the gas prices as much. And they still won't be sucking up as much gas as some moron in their Expedition who thought that cheap oil would last forever with no consequences (I saw one of those today when I was juicing up at the diesel pump, the woman looked angry, she was probably spending 100 dollars on gas, and there I was spending about 8 dollars to top off my tank with a few gallons of fuell.)

And of course, riding a bus is usually more efficient than even a hybrid in terms of passenger miles per gallon. And, if you are really interested in saving the planet, a Japanese motorcycle I believe gets over 70-80 miles per gallon, and of course there are bicycles (personally, I'm not into bikes- too dangerous as far as I'm concerned).

Hybrid vs. Diesel Debate

the 1st inroads to hybrid technology is obviously the honda civic & toyota. but these cars really only compete to the already existing small car, econo car market.

the REAL gain with hybrid technology will be the larger car market, family cars, etc.

this will happen. the toyota's & civic are the test market. and they are test prooven very well already.

i bet in 5 years we'll see 50% of the larger cars being offered use some elements of hybrid technology.

see ya

Hybrid vs. Diesel Debate

This is what we should be building right now. In my opinion Ford and GM will go bankrupt before they even begin to catch on.

For about the past year I have offered anyone who would listen the following info: None of the American automobile companies have even responded. I have had some positive response from several educational institutions but - as far as I know - none have done any experimental work to verify my claims.

Here is what I have been proposing:

In one scale or another everyone of these systems have been proven.

Like to produce a vehicle that can burn rubber on takeoff on all four wheels and get 90+ mpg?

What I would like to see the automakers working on would have:

A turbocharged, two cylinder opposed, 2-cycle, air-cooled diesel directly
    driving a generator. (It would not be running most of the time.) A 111 volt Lithium-Ion Polymer battery pack. Nothing but wires going from the controller to every wheel, except for the necessary additional friction
    brakes (of course). An added advantage of this would be the ability to recharge from the electrical grid while at home, saving even more on fuel.

Each wheel, depending on the feedback to the controller from wheel speed sensors would drive with just the right power depending on the accelerator position. You would get recharging from deceleration just as you do in today's hybrids. You would also use this feedback to stop the wheel from skidding.

Each wheel would have a stationary stator and a series of fixed magnets closely adjacent all around the inside of the wheel. In a sense it would operate each wheel in a very similar fashion that the mag-lev trains use,
    except the motion would be circular, of course. Something very different about this type of motor is that the stators are fixed to the axles and the magnets are driven around them. This gives a significant increase in
    mechanical advantage. That's like turning an ordinary electric motor inside out.

There would be no need for ordinary electric motor brushes. In fact, many electric motors operating today are brushless.

Such motors already exist in the model airplane field and their efficiently
    is amazing - approaching 90%. I've got a couple and doubt that I would ever buy any other type.

It's possible to hang the model on the prop right out in front of you and
    accelerate straight up, like a rocket, with this type motor

In the vehicle the motor/generator would not turn on to recharge the
    batteries until they needed it. There are already experimental Lithium-Ion
    driven cars that can get in excess of 200 miles before they have to be
    recharged by plugging them in. You would top off your batteries overnight by plugging them in. Some cutting edge research by Toshiba - employing nano-technology - indicates that recharging can be done so fast that you could top off while eating lunch.

Lithium -Ion battery technology is so new that I doubt that very many
    automotive engineers have even heard of them, much less thought to use them in this manner. Their energy density exceeds that of any other form of rechargeable energy storage.

The Lithium Ion battery is the most efficient battery available right now. So is the outer rotor electric motor the most efficient motor.

Build an Automobile right and it will weight less and have simpler, easier to repair/replace modules.

Lets see what we can eliminate while improving performance and efficiency.

Transmission - None

Ignition system - None

Liquid cooling - None

Valves and valve train - None

Use bio-oil/fuels for both fuel and lubrication.

Feel free to pass this along to anyone you know in the Transportation business.

I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid last summer. I enjoy it more than any vehicle I've ever owned. I will Never buy another vehicle that isn't a Hybrid and doesn't get at least 50 mpg.

As far as I can tell, Detroit isn't even thinking the same way I and the vast majority of it's potential customers are.

William Lucas Jones
    490 Mauldin Rd.
    Sautee, GA 30571-3159

(706) 219-3333