+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

hybrids as enviroment friendly as think

Some hybrids use twice as much fuel as a VW Lupo. They contain components that may be future problems in landfills and the extra energy (& pollution) used to produce a hybrid you would be better serving the environment by driving an old 79 F150. While cars are constantly being scrapped and rebuilt into new cars my f150 keeps on going.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Try putting a cord of wood in the back of a VW Lupo.
    The premise is incongruous.

Your F150 puts out more pollution standing still than the current hybrids do running down the freeway. Between controlling evaporative emissions and the use of more environmentally friendly manufacturing processes these cars are very clean throughout their entire lifecycle. The California AT-PZEV designation takes manufacturing and disposal into account when they assess the rating.

As for the materials in the vehicles, NiMH batteries are well understood at this point and are recycled by the automakers (Toyota places a bounty on each battery pack to assure they get returned). There isn't much else in a hybrid that is any more exotic than what you'd find in a conventional car.

Modern auto production is a lot cleaner than it used to be. Just the switch to water-based paint made a big difference.

Quote: "you would be better serving the environment by driving an old 79 F150."

Great idea! Let's take that "logic" a bit further: why don't we all go back to riding our horses to work? It would surely cut down on the landfill issue, since I'm pretty sure that dead horses are biodegradable.

Regarding the emissions problem though, I'm not so sure. Have you ever stood behind a horse for any length of time? :-)

Horse dung could be processed and fed back to the horse in his feed. Sort of a crude EGR system. I like it!

Yes but how would the horse feel about it? :-)

I need som info on hybrids and how they effect the enviroment. I also need a counter argument on that. please I'm desperate

walker - there are loads of threads and resource topics here that discuss most of the issues associated with Hybrids. Start reading and you will find just about everything we know.

Hybrid Cars?

Should hybrid cars be the car of the future? Yes I believe hat they should. Hybrids have their perks and their downs. These cars are independent of foreign oil, have great mileage, the relative cost, and the environmental impact are few of the perks.
    America is very dependent on foreign oil because we have few oil deposits that are rich in the oil that cars need to be able to function. There is a possible “gold mine” of oil in Alaska, but it’s oil is in protected by a national forest and it is the heart of the wilderness. As America goes to war in the Middle East (Iraq) we have made oil scarcer, making the price raise. If we raise fuel efficiency standards in American cars by one mile per gallon, in one year, we would save twice the amount of oil that could be obtained from the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
    Raising it by 2.7 mpg would save enough to eliminate all the oil imports from Iraq and Kuwait combined
    Raising it by 7.6 mpg would save enough to eliminate 100% of our gulf oil imports into this country. It is possible that we could be cut off from this valuable source of crude oil. Not having this oil could inhibit our ability to use oil dependent transportation and machines. This in turn could pull us back into the dark ages of no oil. Some would say that if this happens that w could just destroy the Alaskan wilderness and possible have oil. This would possible ruin our last frontier.
    The mileage of hybrids is advertised as excellent. Although some would argue that advertised mileage is a dream. Also that in Consumer Reports road tests, the Honda Civic Hybrid got only 26 miles per gallon in the city--46 percent below the EPA rating. The Anuvu can go 700 miles on a 20 dollar tank of gas! This car does not eliminate the need for oil or gas but it does greatly reduce it. This car also has better statistics an ratings then other hybrids and normal cars. Using space age technology this car is able to go from 0 to 60 in 6.6 seconds!
    The impact of hybrids on the environment is small but not gone. That is the slogan of gas guzzling diesel owners. Diesels do have the pulling power that hybrids do not have but these people use them in bumper to bumper commutes. To give you a better idea of what I am talking bout here this. U.S.A. cars and light trucks together consume 8.2 million barrels of oil each day. This translates to over 300 million metric tons of carbon that comes from our cars and trucks every year. A gallon of gasoline weighs just over 6 pounds. When burned, the carbon in it combines with oxygen from the air to produce nearly 20 pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2). By switching from a gas guzzler to a hybrid, you can literally save the earth a couple of tons of greenhouse gases. If fuel economy were improved by 5 mpg, American consumers would save 1.5 million barrels of oil per day. This would come to an annual reduction of approximately 55 million metric tons of carbon-emissions per day. Moving the world's drivers to more fuel-efficient automotive technology, such as hybrid cars and alternative fuel vehicles, could be one part of a comprehensive strategy to mitigate global warming and its effects. U.S.A. cars and light trucks together consume 8.2 million barrels of oil each day. This translates to over 300 million metric tons of carbon that comes from our cars and trucks every year.
    In conclusion you should buy a hybrid car not just for the lower emissions, but also for the relatively lower cost, higher independence, and higher gas mileage. Most important though in not that you have a space age technology but that you re saving the environment.

thanks Duane
    herrr is my essay

yes hybrids are frindly in a way depends on who u talk to but theres the smat car.. vw lupo.. and the new car company comming out with a quite less hassel new version of a steam machine lol so hybirds use fuel smart cars use fuel lupos use fuel but the steam engin seems to be the only way to save this planet for more future generations.