+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hybrid Highlander Waiting Lists?

I am number 15 on a Lexus RX400h list here in Southern California. I was also #2 on a Highlander hybrid list, but the dealership decided to disband the list without telling everyone. I noticed that my $500 was credited to my Visa account and called the dealership. The manager decided that he didn't want to bother paying someone to keep track of the list and accept new names to be added.
    Although I like both vehicles, I prefer the shape of the RX. I am guessing (based upon standard features and a $4-5,000 premium over the RX330 price) that the RX400h will start at $50,000. If this is true, then the Highlander hybrid will probably start at $40,000 or so.
    I also estimate that most dealerships will receive 10-11 RXs per month, so I may be offered one in late May or eatly June. There are currently 11,000 people on waiting lists for the RX400h.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Reserved my Highlander Hybrid at Beaman Toyota in Nashville, TN. $500 deposit made put me at #4 on the list. Gave them a laundry list of preferred options, with the understanding that the option packages aren't clearly defined yet and will differ slightly from standard Highlanders.

The dealer is committed to never charging over MSRP, even if demand is high, they just ask for patience so that everyone gets the car that best suits their preferences in a timely manner. Hopefully will avoid some of the "bidding wars" that are rumored to have plagued early Escape buyers.

Their online sales representative's name is John Schmitz. I've been very pleased with his honesty and service... so far. Fingers crossed it all turns out alright.

This just in from the Lexus forum: The list price for the Lexus RX400h is $48,535.00

I put down $500 to be #19 on a list in So. Calif. about 6 months ago. The dealer, as well as several other dealers I called, assured me the deposit was refundable at any time and that they would not charge anything over MSRP. They said the real purpose of the list was to gauge the level of interest and the options asked for in order to help determine the allocation between dealers. I'm sure So. Calif. will get the lion's share.

I was just in a large Toyota dealer in Nor Cal. They are # 1 seller of Priuses in the country.

I was told that the highlanders were going to take awhile to come out and that they were going to be produced as Limiteds -- I guess that means they will all be totally pimped out (well as much as a Toyota can be). Also, it sounds like they will be north of 40K.

Just wanted to share what I heard...

Hybrid Daze Blog @ HybridCars.com

I just became #86 (ouch!) on the list for an RX400h - this was the shortest list I could find at a Lexus dealer in northern California. I was told that only expect to receive 3-4 vehicles per dealer per month, at least initially, so I am probably a year from rising to the top of the list.

All of the RX400h's that are shipped in the first few months will, as I understand it, be fully "decked out" models with all the options. Price has not been announced (the MSRP for the base model is known, but not the price including the options) but it's believed to be around $55K.

The dealer I am dealing with gave me the impression that they would not mark prices up above MSRP despite the demand; actual price will depend on availability once you get to the top of the list. It sounded like if, by that point, production was ramped up and availability was increasing, there might be some price flexibility. In any case, I think it's fair to charge MSRP for a vehicle that's so in demand. I'm not very fond of dealers that add extra dealer markup above MSRP, that strikes me as gouging.

3-4 RX400s per month sounds low, considering that there are 180 dealerships in the US and Toyota will be cranking out 2000 per month. The reason why there was a 6-month delay of introduction is because Toyota wanted to prevent a Prius-type clamour that resulted in excessive markups and bad feelings. Therefore, I expect that most Lexus dealerships will be allocated with more than 3-4 400hs per month, although you may very well be right about most, if not all, will be fully loaded.
    All of the lexus dealerships around here (San Diego) have told me that there is no markup above MSRP. I am number 15 on a list, so I expect to be offered one by the end of May, early June.

I was shown a price list for the Highlander hybrid today. This vehicle will be available in either 2WD or all wheel drive and with or without the Navigation feature. Prices are $5000 more than a similarly-equipped non-hybrid highlander and will range from $36,000 to $43,000 (MSRP).

However, I'll bet that most of the first 6 months worth of HHs will be loaded so that they top $40,000 easily. Toyota knows that they will sell everyone they get.....

Just got an email update from Toyota, MSRP for the 4x2 Hybrid Highlander will start at $33030, which is about $7000 over the MSRP for a regular V6 2WD Highlander w/ the 3rd row seat.

Now my question is whether you can choose your color in this kind of market. Will you have to settle for what you can get, or you can order one with your favorite color?

The way it works with the Lexus RX400h (and I assume with the Highlander as well) is that if you are on the list, you must specify your package and color preference to your dealer. There is no "custom ordering" (at least for the time being), so as the dealer receives batches of vehicles, they will start at the top of the list and work down, matching requests with inventory. It is therefore possible that someone who is lower on the list may buy the Highlander before you do. Of course, you could always say, "I'll take anything" and be more likely to get one before most on the list who are preferential, but that's up to you.