+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Hybrid Highlander Waiting Lists?

>> the poor quality of the vehicle (I'm thinking of the Escape here.)

Hmm, that's the first negative thing I've heard on the Escape. From following this site for six months, I've gotten the impression that Escape Hybrid buyers are pretty happy with it. Care to elaborate on this negative note??

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

To LuxoHybridman & other hybrid friends:
    Don't say tax "credit", say tax "deduction". Sadly, it is a mistake to think you can knock $2,000 off your federal tax bill - that is the true definition of "credit". In reality, green consumers are only able to reduce their taxable *income* by $2,000 for buying a hybrid car. So the actual savings to the consumer is $2,000 x X%... that X being whatever his/her tax bracket is. That is a lot less than $2,000. That said, however, green consumers can get additional tax breaks from their state if their state allows it. In New York I've heard hybrid owners can get a genuine *credit* of $3,000 or thereabouts, AND they can get a refund on the sales tax on whatever is the "incremental" cost of the alternative fuel component. I think for the Highlander that is $3,500-$4,000, so you could get that X 8.6% back by filling out a form "AU-11" and sending it to the NYS tax people. You also can get a credit on income tax by filling out another form (IT-253. Alternative Fuels Credit) and filing that with your income tax forms.
    Go to this link on the NY State tax dept. web site:
    http://www.tax.state.ny.us/pdf/memos...1i_1.1s_2.1c.- pdf

I thought the ride was loud and rough; the transmission was clunky; the interior compartments were an ergonomic trainwreck; the seats were uncomfortable; and the leather/finish seemed cheap and flimsy. I knew before I drove off the lot that I wouldn't be buying it.

"I have al problem buying something so egregiously overpriced just because it's a status symbol. If the price tag was somehow justified by significantly better emissions, safety, or features, I could see making a case for it, but I don't need a hood ornament to prove my worth. "

If that's the case, then why not save yourself $10,000 and get a Hundai Sante Fe SUV? Hundais are actually very reliable these days. Of course, the Lexus is quieter, has a tighter turning radius, and comes with service that is second to none compared to the Toyota. I think comparisons of Volkswagen and Audi, Chevrolet and Cadillac, Nissans and Infinities, and Hondas and Acuras fall into the same category.

please educate yourself people.every negative argument about the difference in cost between conventional and hybrid vehicles is defeated by the value of the product.a used prius is more valuable then a new one.a used focus, if new cost is 16000,one month later you would be lucky in a desperate sale situation to aquire 10,000.a 22000.new prius one month later ,in one day you could sell it for 25,000.on ebay.hybrid car at this time are WISE INVESTMENTS do some research and you will begin to think american car companys research and development engineers work for the oil companys.my average millage is 58 in my 05 prius,you have to work at that but that is the fun part.use that battery pack like a wallet,every chance you get.the millage,the tax break, the value its all money in the bank,good luck everyone.

My (domestic) partner and I bought a 2003 Prius, but we are just now --through grace of extensions--filiing income tax for that period. We are having a hard time locating the required form (and information!--we believe it was a $2,000 credit, but we dont know "terms and conditions")...Can anyone out there help us? Dont bother saying, "just call the IRS--we're doing that, too; it's just a lengthy and frustrating process...

Maria,
    My husbandand I are in the market for a Hybrid and during my research I came across the website www.hybridcars.com they had a special section on the 2004/2005 $2000 deduction as well as the tax 'credits' of varying amounts for folks who take delivery after January 2006. I understand that you purchased in 2003 but I'm assuming it's the same IRS forms for the deduction. It also gives you a specific IRS site to search on. I would not waste your time actually trying to call the IRS. I called them several days ago with a basic question involving hybrids and spoke with 3 separate people in 3 departments (one is the tax law department) and not one had a clue what I was talking about. They had to type a formal request to a supervisor who they say will be in contact with me within 5 weeks... Anyway, hope that helps.