+ Reply to Thread

hybrid top speed

I am just curious what the top crusing speed for some hybrids are. It seems to me that if you wanted to go faster than the ICE could take then then batteries would enevtually run out. Does anybody know what this threshold speed would be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

hybrid top speed

Someone over at greenhybrid dot com had theirs a little over 110MPH and says it still had some more to offer.

hybrid top speed

on my last trip to pheonix i did 75 and 80 MPH typically. i'm sure i coud have surpased 100 if i wanted. the HCH handled very well & solid.

except i noticed from the running MPG gage the mileage wasn't very good above 75 MPH. it slides to under 40 MPG at the high speeds.

but i guess for touring around long distances real fast it's still useful?

see ya

hybrid top speed

Thank you for the quick replies. I do not doubt the capability of these cars to go fast, but at these fast speeds are the batteries being drained? It just seems to me that the ICE in these cars would not be powerful enough to maintain high speeds without the help of the electric motors. It seems like the batteries would become discharged in this case.

hybrid top speed

The rated top speed of the Honda Insight is just over 110. Whether it is using the boost to get that high, I dunno.

hybrid top speed

I' ve never had my HCH over 87MPH but please let me take a guess in regards to the assist at +100 speed.

I'm guessing that because assist does not come on as often while at higher speed it will remain off, Unless the car is floored.

hybrid top speed

on that pheonix trip i had pretty full batteries most all the way. high speed didn't tap the electric except on uphills which aren't too common on that trip.

it's a decent gas engine in a pretty light car.

the 60's are long gone! we just don't need the huge horsepower to move lighter cars.

see ya

i reached 250mph in my civic

i reached 250mph in my civic

what is the top speed of an

what is the top speed of an ordinary hybrid car i havent tried with my car yet im wuite scared i might get out if control because i have been in to an accident before.

The top speed of my 2007

The top speed of my 2007 Prius was 109mph. Once that top speed is reached, the energy monitor shows me that the engine and electric motor is powering the wheels, while also using the generator to charge the battery, speed sometimes drops to about 106mph when the battery is depleted, but because the car is moving, the gas engine still sends power to the generator that is automatically consumed by the drive electric motor, or it's sent to the battery pack. It's all very seamless and it feels like you're just driving very fast.

Luckily, most hybrid cars are very comfortable over 100mph because their so aerodynamically stable and quiet.