+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

jump-starting a hybrid vehicle?

Stephanie,

We have the same car HCH 2003. We have been jump starting it daily as of Sept 5th. We brought it in twice this week so far. After the first time, I didn't make it all the way home. Both times, the dealer tells me that I do not drive the car enough!!.
    We had a new battery installed in June 06, the phase sensor control in July 06 and May 05.

Even though it is over 2 years since we bought the car, it was accepted for arbitration because our check engine light appeared a month after we bought it. We needed a new transmisson a few months after we bought it. And there was the 'recall' in summer 2005. We are now waiting to hear from the Lemon Law arbitrator.

If you had problem early on, check your state's Lemon Law. You may be eligible

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Stephanie & Fran:

I just started having this same problem. I took it to my repair shop today and they say it is in the IMA so I have to take it to the dealer tomorrow. Have you come up with any solutions?

Stephanie & Fran:

Took the car to the dealer today. Before I took it in I did some research on the internet and learned that their may be a TSB for a problem with a relay that causes the battery to drain. Mentioned this to the service manager and he knew what I was talking about. They called back later in the day and diagnosed it as a bad AC relay. $20 part.

My 2003 HCH's IMA light came on. The next day it was dead in the driveway. AAA was able to jump start it. I drove it to the dealer. They checked it and said no problem. Same day I took it for its 60,000 mile checkup. It needed a new regular battery and front brakes. Next day (yesterday) the IMA light was on 1/2 the day. It was dead in the driveway this morning. I had it towed to the dealer. I didn't even ask to have it jump started. The dealer said the fan motor was stuck on and drained the battery. They are keeping it overnight to be sure. Would that make the IMA light stay on? They said yes.

Sigh,

If I might add a couple of comments(I'm not a Hybrid Owner)..generally speaking a 12volt Automobile Battery will have a LIFETime of 4-years..these batteries are charged at up to 18volts..and really contain a VOLTAGE of 13.6volts..larger-[ah]-AMPHOUR batteries give better results than a smaller one..the smallest AH on a 12volt Automobile Battery I have seen was about 25ah..I own a Wheel Chair Battery @12volts30ah..and a Electric Scooter that I just purchased uses a 24volt15ah..actually 2 X 12v.10ah..
    There are TEST Equipment for the vehicles that I drove that will offer CHARGEING TEST Results..
    General Battery Maintainance must not have really changed from the standard..keeping the battery Compartment Clean is first on the list..
    I would use a Spray Paint on the Battery TERMINALS rather than some grease or chemical sponge device..
    Its always important to LOOK/at the CONNECTIONS..and this is your START point to be a HOME MECHANIC..wires can be loose on their connections or worn in the insulation..and some electrical stuff can just be really cheap..the OPTION to UPGRADE PARTS is most likely in the BallGame of the HYBRID Vehicle..
    I was in a AUTOZONE last week(my Scooter blew its rear tire)..here's a part that can't be repaired(the inner tube)..it must be replaced..
    But while there I did NOT really notice any differance concerning the emerging GREEN-vehicle..I was a Auto-Parts Counter Person in the early 70's..and the AUTOZONE Store looked just the same..
    I would consider the best practice to be Specifications..
    and the ability to CHECK your Spec's on the vehicle..
    Like the VOLTAGES...front and rear(it seems)...
    Chargeing Rates and Battery TYPES....Ni-Mh...SLA...require special battery Charger's..SLA Batteries require the CHARGE to be maintained while a Ni-Mh Battery can just SIT for a BIT/waiting to be CHARGED..
    The fact that GREEN-vehicles must use a Lighter engineering thought can be a disaster for adding on OPTIONS like TOWING..the chance to just BUST-a-BOLT..
    I think if people return to basic transportation the GREEN-vehicle will survive it inter-action w/People..
    But the attempt to Joy-up-The-Ride..<<<<-----back-sliding.

is there any special method

is there any special method to jump-starting these vehicles such as hidden switches. Please advise

-Hope this helps. -We have

-Hope this helps.
    -We have an Escape hybrid, and are very happy with it. Several weeks ago we jumpstarted another car with the hybrid, but ONLY after reading the owner's manual VERY thoroughly (the procedure was slightly different for a non-hybrid). We have noticed no problems since then.
    -So....read your owner's manual for sure!!!! In fact, read it out loud while you are connecting the cables (sounds silly, but pilots read off their checklists even if they have committed the procedures to memory long ago).
    -You may also want to call the factory number to see if they have any updated information.

Hope this information helps

Hope this information helps you out..

Hybrid Hazards Co. has released a hybrid vehicle jump start towing guide which covers over 24 of the hybrid vehicles including the enova school bus.

They can be found online if you do a search for Hybrid Vehicle Jump Start Towing Guide

or click the homepage link...

They also released a Hybrid Vehicle High Voltage Quick Shut Down Guide for First Responders / fire / police / rescue.

Take care,

Just did it and it was like

Just did it and it was like for a regular car. We used jumper cables to jump start a Honda Hybrid

Just jumped my 2010 Fusion

Just jumped my 2010 Fusion Hybrid like I would any other car, and everything worked out fine. :-) Engine ran for about 5 minutes to charge the 12v battery, then engine turned off as usual. Here's a tip, don't leave things plugged into the lighter outlet in the winter, duh!