+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Luxury sedans

Luxury sedans

Does anyone know if the automotive industry has any plans to make Luxury Hybrid sedans? I drive a Honda hybrid - and LOVE it! But would like to buy a luxury style sedan i.e. Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc... I entertain clients a lot and would like more space and an upscale vehicle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Luxury sedans

Sedans and Coupes will probably be the last to see hybrid technology, and for 2 reasons.

1) SUV's are the automotive industry's bread and butter right now. That's where the fast turn-around is, so that's where the fast money is. The quicker they can turn a profit on the new (and slightly more expensive) technology, the better off they are.

2) SUV's eat gas like its going out of style. In order to comply with federal regulations, car manufacturers have to meet some average mpg of their entire line of cars. Since SUV's bring that average down due to their poor fuel economy, they are going to do whatever they can to bring that average up...which means 2 things. Firstly, the automobiles with the worst mileage (SUV's) will get the hybrid technology first. Secondly, they may decide to make an entirely new car designed specifically to get extremely high mileage (like Honda did with the Insight) to raise that average MPG.

Bottom line: don't expect the Nissan Maxima, the Chevy Corvette, or the Ford Crown Victoria to have hybrid technology included anytime soon.

Luxury sedans

Lexus is supposed to release a hybrid version of the GS this spring as a 2007 model: http://www.lexus.com/models/hybrid/

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Lexus is supposed to release a hybrid version of the GS this spring as a 2007 model: http://www.lexus.com/models/hybrid/
    Thanks Brian ..... Dee .......... Lexus has developed the GS into a V-6 Hybrid ....... You can check it out here:
    http://www.lexus.com/models/GSh/comp...omparison.html

ALSO, the LS600hL ..... being sported as the Largest Luxury Hybrid ......... is set to arrive in the next year.

Let me know some spacifics of what your interested in and I'll send you all the information Possible.

Tom Quinn
    Internet Sales
    (571) 276-7548

Quote Originally Posted by TWQ83 View Post
    Thanks Brian ..... Dee .......... Lexus has developed the GS into a V-6 Hybrid ....... You can check it out here:
    http://www.lexus.com/models/GSh/comp...omparison.html

ALSO, the LS600hL ..... being sported as the Largest Luxury Hybrid ......... is set to arrive in the next year.

Let me know some spacifics of what your interested in and I'll send you all the information Possible.

Tom Quinn
    Internet Sales
    (571) 276-7548
    Tom, why doesn't Lexus make an IS hybrid that gets 40+ mpg? Being the smallest Lexus available, it would get the best gas mileage.

My Highlander turns heads

Hello,

I drive a 2007 Highlander Hybrid and get a lot of compliments. It's shiny black and fully loaded and turns heads. Not sure if it would fit your definition of luxury though. This is the first full size vehicle I've drove since my 73 Plymouth station wagon days. I love it. In my family we call it the "Batmobile".

Take care,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post
    Tom, why doesn't Lexus make an IS hybrid that gets 40+ mpg? Being the smallest Lexus available, it would get the best gas mileage.

Southerndoc,

Very good question ........... I 've posed the same question to Lexus at a meeting earlier last month. Basically it boil's down to the market and potential buyers.......... The IS is a wonderful SPORT PERFORMANCE vehicle and that is what the target group is for that vehicle ...... we have seen attempts at a performace orientated Hybrid ( Honda Accord, which was scrapped about 3 months ago, Nissan Altima, jury is still out on this...... ) But it is Lexus's wish to have every model it currently has in a Hybrid platform by the year 2012. The IS is still to young to transform into a Hybrid .... ( We went with the GS instead, who's sales were off for awhile, until the latest gas crunch [ $3+/gal ], now I can't keep them on the lot!!!) Also, as you know the amount of saving in MPG is related to the engine in the vehicle, The V-6 in the IS is Scimpish on the fuel savings while excellent in the performance sector. Lexus would have to do some major overhauling, to numerious factories, in order to produce a Lexus with a 4 Cly engine in order to get that elusive 40mpg from a Hybrid IS !!!!!!

Will you see a Lexus IS Hybrid ....... Sure!!!! When will you see it? God ( and Lexus ) only know!!!!!

One last thought, Right now Lexus is very busy with the introduction of the LS 600h/LS 600hL and the development of the LF-A sport coupe Hybrid........ I think there are only so many R&D $$$$$$ Available at this time.

Just my $0.02 worth.