+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Winter Driving in Honda Civic Hybrid

I have an 03 HCH with 39000 miles in NE PA. I have never had a problem with any part of the car. It has been getting 49 mpg in the summer and 46 in the winter. I put on aggressive snow tires in the winter that seem to be a major cause my mileage dropping.

I've found that adding tire air pressure to a point , using synthetic oil, and driving conservatively are all good techniques to squeek the best from the car.

I am going to by a new one this week. and plan to sell my old one to my son.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I'm thinking about purchasing a Civic Hybrid, after many years in a now very rusty but still reliable Toyota Camry. My concern for winter driving is not fuel efficiency, but safety. The Camry has been a dream in our harsh central New York winters. Those of you who live in serious winter conditions and own a Civic Hybrid - how does it handle in the snow and ice? Can I put studded snow tires on it?
    Thanks!
    Diana

I had an old 81' civic with a 1300 engine that got 38 MPG around town and over 40 on the hwy.
    I live in NJ and that was before the winter blends where introduced here. I never noticed a big drop in gas milage in the winter, sure there was probably some, but not enough to crrry about, and i only paid $500 for it, needed an clutch though?

"Those of you who live in serious winter conditions and own a Civic Hybrid - how does it handle in the snow and ice? Can I put studded snow tires on it?"

I live in the Colorado mountains, and can tell you that the Civic Hybrid handles snow and ice pretty much like any other small front-wheel-drive vehicle, including the Camry. The biggest difference is the engine braking that results from the hybrid system - it can cause the front wheels to skid slightly when you let off the gas on a slippery surface. Not a real problem, but it's good to be aware of it.

You could put studded snow tires on it, but do yourself and the roads a favor and get Blizzak-type studless tires instead. They have almost all of the ice traciton of studs without the constant howling. The Bridgestone Blizzak and Dunlop Graspic are the most commonly available examples of these. The Dunlops are a little cheaper; I have used both, and find the Dunlops every bit as good as the Blizzaks.

For the best winter handling and safety, use snow tires on all four wheels. The difference is huge.

The new (2006) HCH won't "autostop" at temps below -12C in winter or above something in the region of ( I recall) 38 Deg C in summer.

For what it's worth, here

For what it's worth, here are my numbers

Bought 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid (July 1st, 2008)

Overall Fuel Economy to Date: 6.4 l /100 km (37 mpg)
    Total distance traveled: 15000 km (Approx. 40% highway @ 100 km/hr)

Winter Fuel Economy: 9.0 l/100 km (26 mpg)
    Winter Distance traveled: 1500 km (Approx. 40% highway @ 100 km/hr)
    Winter period driven: Jan 3rd 2009 - Feb 13th 2009

It's been brutally cold here in Ottawa for the period, high of 7.8 C on Feb 11th, -30 C on Jan 16th with several days below -20 C

Try this, it should help

Try this, it should help especially in our cold Canadian climate:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17560

...and this:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18185

Cheers;

MSantos

The auto-stop wouldn't work

The auto-stop wouldn't work if you use front defroster. I found out the auto-stop works if you cycle the mode to front defroster together with directing air flow to your feet.

We live in Northern New

We live in Northern New England. Between the winter blend of gas, snow tires and colder temperatures our mileage drops from 52 to 55 mpg to 45 to 48 mpg during the winter months. Our HCH is a 2005 with a manual transmission.

MJB

[url=http://xsp.pl]szablony

szablony allegroszablony allegro.