+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Winter Driving in Honda Civic Hybrid

David:

The oil change interval in the Civic Hybrid is 10,000 miles for normal conditions, and 5,000 for "severe" conditions. Your dealer would like you to think you're driving in severe conditions, as they'll make twice as much money off of you. Log on to OwnerLink at Honda.com, and read what they have to say there. Honda themselves says that very few people actually qualify for "severe" conditions. I have followed the 10,000 mile interval since I got the car in May, 2002.

The oil used in the Civic Hybrid is 0w-20, *not* 5w-20 (that's for regular Civics, etc.). If your car was refilled with heavier oil, your fuel efficiency might be compromised (also make sure it wasn't overfilled, etc.).

And yes, the oil change for the hybrids using 0w-20 is about $10 more at most Honda dealerships. They do not stock the oil in bulk and so most dealers must crack open quarts, just like you and me. Their cost is more expensive that way.

peace,
    Linda (owns two hybrids -- an '03 HCH and an '01 Prius -- first editions of both!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Winter driving in a honda civic "hybrid"sucks. I ended up taking my civic back and getting a dodge neon srt-4 because the new hybrids dont run in cold conditions. Overall they SUCK........

Ah, Milo is apparently trolling since what he didn't mention is that the SRT-4 gets about 15mpg in the hands of most owners. Car and Driver managed only 14mpg from theirs. He likely has never owned either car he claims to own, and certainly the demographic for a Civic Hybrid owner (generally mature, well-educated) and an SRT-4 owner (teenage street racers) are about as far from each other as it gets.

Photo, have you ever heard "never say never". You're making a pretty strong statement on something that you can't possible know the outcome of.
    They may figure out a way to make diesels cleaner than gasser, you never know. They might also find out that the benzene and smaller particulates with gas actually cause more harm than the larger particulates of diesel engines.

There is a lot more to poor gas milage in the winter than mearly the fuel. Friction from the cold means that your vehicle will not roll as easily . . . resulting in . . . it takes more fuel to move it . . .

There is a lot more to poor gas milage in the winter than merely the fuel. Friction from the cold means that your vehicle will not roll as easily . . . resulting in . . . it takes more fuel to move it . . .

no - in southern california we're "cold" with 48 degree nights.

lower mileage.

it's the gas...

see ya

thanks for everyone's responses, I have to say, I "got into it" with Honda central and they have responded by having a chat with my dealer. I am the only HCH they service and my problems did start in september (I am in New Jersey) when I had my second oil change and we had a pretty warm fall. I am suspicious that the wrong oil was used. It is recommended to be 0W if I am correct. The gas does have the MBTA or whatever here in the winter, and my tires should be checked. But I am still a little shocked that Honda is not upfront about this. Though I do believe in my heart that car dealers are not far up the chain from pond scum.

I still like my car, I especially enjoy the idiots who charge up to me when I am driving just above the speed limit in the slow lane and think that I;m not going fast enough (please) when they see the "hybrid" tag.

And regarding that person who drives 85 miles an hour? what is that? have you heard of safe driving? I hope you know how fast your brakes will safely stop you, and I hope you aren't driving in New Jersey!

katen - you need to head west one day. i left NJ some 25 years ago & never looked back.

the speed limits in arizona, nevada, montana, the dakotas, etc are all 75 mph. it's easy to just cruise at 80 for hours.

and the roads don't have potholes the size of tree trunks every 40 feet.

it's our car's basic shaping that cuts the milage at those speeds. too bad cars still do not address the underbody wind drag that robs still further efficiency.

see ya

On Low Winter miles per gallon:
    All vehicals are less efficient in the winter, especially in the northern climates. There are many things your car is required to do/ more frequently in the winter. These include:
    Heating: blower motor and the pump(some models) Heated seats.
    Defoggers: Electric - Back window, mirrors, Front +more blower hours
    Lights = Electricity = Engine hours - (less hours of daylight
    More power to drive thru snow and in Cold: Increased wheel drag thru snow - Batteries and Engines less efficient at cold temperatures
    This all can be described as the First Law of Thermodynamics (for you Engineers) - the conservation of Energy - There is no loss - Just conversion: ie If you use it, you pay for it!

Legislators failing to know the above created the all Electric car sales quotas that passed without being met. This legislation delayed the introduction of Hybrids and caused much consternation.

You can increase your fuel milage by keeping you car in heated spaces, waiting to drive until the roads are plowed, not using the heat, defoggors, or lights, but I like using all.
    Good Luck