+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Winter Driving in Honda Civic Hybrid

32F (or 0C for you in USA state #51) should have no affect on the batteries. besides, they ride in the backseat & are comfy.

it's the -45F that i would worry about. (-49C). that's the temperature limit usually of commercially designed products.

while i suspect that low temps have already been considered by honda & toyota (who know's what ford or GM think about), you get too low & batteries just stop.

--- i missed out on some really great sunset shots of the grand canyon once becuase my camera battery just died as it got colder...

see ya

steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I just added about 8 lbs to each tire to bring them up to 33 lbs each (they were down to 25 lbs due to the cold weather), and now I am getting around 43 MPG. Much better! I never knew tire pressure made such a difference.

Now Springtime holds that much more excitement -- warm weather, and I get back my right to brag about my 51 MPG!!!

ps-- the manual says that the auto-stop does not function when a thermometer in the dashboard reads 32 fahrenheit. The thermometer is outside the car, but I bet having the car warmed up can tip the scales on this reading so you can get it to shut off if it is, say, 15-20 degrees outside.

I had a shop tell me that the HCH takes a different oil and that he would have to charge me more to do an oil change. A whole $10.00 more. Is this right? I'm not convinced just yet.

Doug,

I've heard the same thing about the HCH. I'll be going in for my 1st scheduled oil change at 5K in about a month or so.

Rumor tells me that my MPG will go up after this change but I'm anxious to find out myself. Currently I have check my tire pressure because the harsh cold weather is killing my MPG right now.

Only getting between 34 - 38, and that was an improvmnent over past months in the cold weather for me.

i got an oil change with a free car wash & no extra anything.

i can't imagine any reason why they would think the cost would be different then a "regular" car. the basic engine is a plain old gas engine.

did you have an extreme look of inocence on your face?

see ya

"Regular" oil would mean over the counter Penzoil or similar petro-based 10W-30 oil. The HCH is supposed to use 5W-20 if I recall correctly. Still petro based (rather than synthetic) but more expensive than 10W-30.

For best protection in cold climates, you should bring your own oil, and I would suggest Mobil 1 0W-20. That's what I use in my Civic. It's about $5/quart and you'll need around 4 quarts or so.

With regard to mileage, my 2004 HCH puchased 9 months ago averages 40.8. I notice that whenever my husband drives it (he has a 2 hour all-highway commute), the average goes down. And whenever we're back to city driving (we live in Chicago), the average increases. I haven't noticed a difference in winter in terms of mileage however. The Honda salesman did tell us that the ECON button does not work in winter below a certain temperature, and said something about it being a good thing because you don't want your engine to cut and not restart because of the cold. It did go on once this winter but I'm not sure why.

I have owned my 04 Civic Hybrid since Feb 04. I have also noticed a decrease of mileage during the winter. I have done some thinking, and here is what I have determeined.

-The engine will run on all 4 cylinders until it is fully heated up. Because it is colder outside, this will take longer and so more fuel is wasted. As I believe it says in the manual, the engine will shut off cylinders depending on the current throttle/load and engine temp., so even if you are cruising at 55, all 4 cylinders will continue to operate until full temperature is acheived. Try and avoid short trips in the cold.

-The econ feature isn't supposed to work when the outside temp is below freezing, so no auto-off in the cold means a huge decrease in overall gas mileage. I went from getting 48mpg in the fall, to 38mpg during the coldest parts of the winter.

-Check you tire pressure. I live in Chicago, and on the my first full gas tank in cold weather I got a miserable 33mpg. The culprit? The temperature change caused all my tires to lose about 5psi. My next tank's mileage increased to 37mpg.

-The initial start-up/idle is killer. Don't be stingy though! Although idling absolutly destroys your average mpg, it is no excuse to not let your engine warm up. Remember that the rule of thumb is to let your engine run for a minimum of 30 seconds in warm weather, and at least 60 seconds in cold.

-The auto-off feature will also not work when you have the defroster on. I believe that this is due to the a/c automatically turning on. If you pay attention, you'll notice that when you have the fan speed on auto and then switch the defroster on (not the defroster for the rear window, the defroster/defogger for the fron windshield and side windows), the econ light automatically turns off. When you turn the knob from defroster back to auto, the a/c light comes on. Basically, when you tell the car to automatically control you defrost speed at whatever temperature you have set, the a/c automatically turns on to help clear up the windeshields, also disabling the auto-off feature. The same thing happens when you select the defroster/floor vent option.

Somebody in there said they got their oil changed at 7,000 miles... Why? I thought you were supposed to have that done every 5,000 miles. At least that's what my dealer and the instruction manual says.

MO:

After reading your message I can tell you this: The reason the mileage drops when your husband drives his 2 hour commute on the highway is because he is speeding. Cruising at 55mph in normal summer weather netted me an average of 53.5 mpg. Cruising at 70mph nets an average of 46.5 mpg. That 's a huge difference, caused by higher engine rpm (2200@55 versus 2900@70 I think) and aerodynamics. Once a car passes 65 mph, aerodynamics dramatically decrease, causing much more wind resistance and more load on your engine. Not 100% sure on this, but cruising at 80 brings the average to about 43mpg if not less. Ask your husband how fast he's going.

For people noticing a decrease in gas milage after 7-10k miles, besides cold weather, gel in gas, tire pressure, etc, could it be a reduction in the battery capacity, and the controller is using the engine more? Maybe the new battery allowed more electric drive? Just a thought.