+ Reply to Thread

'05 HCH Winter Tire Pressure

My '05 HCH (CVT Model) came off the lot with 30 lbs. of pressure in all four tires. In doing some reading and trying to get more MPG out of mine which has been running quite low, 32 - 38 MPG, I've come across some info about different tire pressures.

Living in MI we have hard winter conditions right now but roads are drivable and usually very safe. I currently have my pressure at 35 lbs. on each tire but I'm interested in hearing what other owners of this car in similar conditions are running their pressure at and what other HCH (CVT Model) are doing to maximize their MPG.

I've read many posts here and must say that my driving style has completely changed to try and maximize my MPG but I'm just not seeing it.

HCH Stats:
    Roughly 2400 miles (Mostly Hwy)
    Still on factory oil (same that originally came in the car)
    30 mile commute each day (Some Hwy, some City)
    35 lbs. of pressure on all four tires
    No load other than myself

Thanks for your time and your comments.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

watch out for winter gas blends - it's real & messes up what you're trying to do. states impose it. you start with a summer blend gas & see affects, then get hit with winter blend gas. in a regular gas vehicle i got 330 miles per tank and saw it drop to 285 per tank in the winter. i was STUMPED as to what was going on! most people never notice...

meanwhile i added air to my honda civic hybrid tires & saw a gain in gas mileage.

i also got an oil change (with a free car wash) this weekend where the service guys LOWERED my tire pressure to 32 as part of their service checks...

nice of them to be thourough & check everything but i need to get my tires back to more like 42 PSI. (the tire wall says 44 PSI)

see ya

Keep in mind that tires are made to work on any car ever made. When you say "the sidewall says 44psi" that only means that the tire is rated to be used on cars which specify pressures up to 44psi. It does NOT mean that the tire manufacturer or the auto manufacturer is telling you that you're supposed to inflate the tires to 44psi.

In fact to be more specific, that rating is the maximum tire pressure when operated at full load at highway speed for 1 hour in standard atmospheric conditions. For example, the Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus in 195/60-14 has a max load rating of 1168 pounds and max PSI of 44. This means that with 1168 pounds of pressure on the tire when inflated to 44psi, it should be capable of sustaining highway speed (whatever the manufacturer thinks that means) for 1 hour.

Load is directly related to tire pressure, so that same tire at 30psi may only be capable of an 800 pound load for example. Conversely, at higher pressure than 44psi you may actually be decreasing the load capabilities because again you're pushing the tire beyond it's tested envelope of performance.

A Honda Civic Hybrid with 4 medium sized passengers, bags, and a full tank of gas will weigh in around 3500 pounds and in that configuration, about 55% of which would be on the front tires. That makes for a front axle weight of 1925 pounds, or 962 pounds per front tire. That's getting quite close to the max load rating of the tires that are likely equipped on the Civic, so any time you fully load the vehicle you'll want to make sure you're within the rated limits of the tires. "Solo weight" for the HCH should be closer to 2850 pounds with about 60% on the front, for front axle weight of 1710pounds; 855 per tire. That gives you more room to play with safely.

Photosmith
    You seem to have some valuable knowledge here. Let's take your example and apply them to my situation.

Single Passenger w/No Additional Load:
    What winter PSI would be recommended?
    What summer PSI would be recommended?

Two Passengers w/Loaded Trunk:
    What winter PSI would be recommended?
    What summer PSI would be recommended?

Or is this just a matter of being to variable per vehicle and per climate not to come up with anything. I certainly appreciate your help!