+ Reply to Thread

Where are the Escape Hybrids built?

Are the Escape hybrids built in the US? What state and city?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

CLAYCOMO, MO. is the home of the Hybrid Escape. It is called the Kansas City Assembly Plant.
    This plant also produces the Ford F-150, Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute

The hybrid components are Japanese built. HV battery is Sanyo.

Craig - I can't find any source that tells me that the electric motor for Hybrid operation is from Japan. Can you give us more information?
    Ford is paying Toyota a royalty on a few of the patents they hold but the design is all Ford. Since Toyota was first, they got some pretty broad patents approved.
    The battery pack does come from Sanyo, but other than that and the electric motor, there are just a few controller modules that comprise the Hybrid add ons.
    BTW, Toyota asked Ford to use over 200 patents that Ford has, since we are into sharing.

The batteries are made by Sanyo but I don't know where they are assembled. Japanese parts content according to the window sticker is pretty low so I don't really think much of the hybrid powertrain is imported. Probably mostly electronics and the like.

The total North American parts content is on the order of 55 percent.

(btw I believe the Prius battery is made by Matsushita)

Mine has a sticker which says Kansas City Mo.

Apparently the eCVT and electric motor/generator package is made by Aisin in Japan. They are a big supplier of transmissions for many European and Japanese carmakers.

They're right about KC, MO. My cousin is a line worker there, and was involved in designing the assembly line for the Escape Hybrid.

And no, I don't have any inside info.