+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid Conversions for older vehicles?

The reason I'm looking and know it's possible is my uncle in Peru came to visit and said they will change engines to hybrids for $400!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Not older...new... and please don't laugh!!!

I am thinking of buying a Porsche Cayenne and would love to convert it, even partially to a hybrid fuel efficient hi performance car. Is this at all possible or am I nuts in thinking it can be done? How cool would that be?
    Thanks for your ideas on this.

Eve Bernshaw

compucarusa.com got your answers

well good news, im working on hybrid conversion for a harley davidson trike,thanks for the 411 from lucas if any one has any more good ideas please let it be known . its gonna take people like us that care to get industries to make a big change all there looking for is the money!

Imagine if you could just take off the head of an existing motor and replace it with an electirc head to create an electric vehicle. Any mech eng's out there who are good with design think of electro magnets and cylinders and maybe we may have and answer. Not sure just an idea I am thinking of but don't have the resources to put into practise.

IN FACT, THERE IS A MAN IN SPRINGDALE, ARKANSAS (I DON'T THINK I SHOULD GIVE HIS NAME WITHOUT HIS PERMISSION) WHO HAS BEEN DOING HYBRIDS QUITE SUCCESSFUL FOR YEARS.
    WHAT HE DOES IS TURN A GENERATOR WITH A SMALL GAS ENGINE AND USE THE OUTPUT OF THE GENERATOR TO TURN AND ELECTRIC MOTOR WHICH IN TURN TURNS THE IMPUT SHAFT OF A MANUAL TRANSMISSION.
    HE HAS REACHED 60 OR 70 MILES PER GALON USING THIS HYBRID TECHNIQUE.
    I HAVE A PROJECT OF MY OWN, BUT WITH LIMITED SUCCESS AT THIS POINT. IN OTHER WORDS, I SHOULDN'T BRAG.
    IN THE MID 80'S I KNEW A FARMER IN UPSTATE NEW YORK WHO CONVERTED AN OLD CADILAC ENGINE INTO A STEAM ENGINE WITH A BOILER IN THE TRUNK WHICH BURNED REGULAR FIRE WOOD. ALL THE FOLKS AROUND BATH, NEW YORK THOUGHT HE WAS A COOK, BUT, I THOUGHT HE WAS COOL.
    I SAID ALL THIS TO SAY: GOOD LUCK GUYS, I KNOW IT CAN BE DONE.

Back in the 70's a guy was doing hybrid conversions. He used a 5 or 10 hp gas engine and a small generator that charged 4 or 5 12 volt lead acid batteries which powered a starter motor from a jet engine.
    The system worked pretty well as I remember and he even sold plans so that you could do it too.
    I might take some research, and/or a call to "Mother Earth News" to find out who and where (or if) the plans were still available but it would be worth the effort.
    I may do it myself.
    Let me know how it works out.
    Jerry Conrad

I live in an area where hurricanes abound (North Florida), and the power is turned off each time a hurricane appears. We need a conversion vehicle that will evacuate without overheating, that will nor run out of gas during the bumper to bumper evacuation, that can also stay home and run your house while the power is out. I see nothing in the current publications that indicate anything is being done to use the perfectly good vehicles we already have to provide us with more economical answers to our problems. Must we continue to deal with nations that hate us just because Detroit wants it that way?

The $2500 conversion which is discussed above IS NOT A REPLACEMENT ENGINE... You use the current engine and a device is ADDED to the engine to make it a hybrid. It is what is called a POWER ADDER. With this unit it would allow you to recycle the vehicle instead of being wasteful to throw out a good car to try to act green by purchasing a hybrid vehicle.

You do not need to replace the engine to make it a hybrid.

I think you will see someone come up with a real conversion

Figure this:

LMC ( http://www.lemcoltd.com/ )permanent magnet motors in each axle of a Subaru 4 WD (No chassis conversion to get all-axle drive) running off of nannobattery clusters and driven by a Solar turbine generator fueled with biodiesel.

Think APU power generators as used in Chinook helicopters and such. LMC has won prizes with their ultra-efficient motors.

Only hitch is nannobatteries are a ways from coming on line. NiMH might work as a substitute until then.