+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid Conversions for older vehicles?

Has anyone addressed the need for conversions on older vehicles or on vehicles that currently don't make hybrid techonolgy available?

I have a 4 cylinder, Honda Odyssey and I'd love for it to be a Hybrid.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

i think the conversion prosess is more complex then a drop in new electric motor.

~ time for a new car!

besides, a new car carries newer safety elements, new smell, new technology in general. at least NOW though these new hybrids are available! changes the fun part of buying a new car now, doesn't it?

see ya

that link is excelent! so they really HAVE developed a drop-in hybrid engine! and at $2500 is similar to a new engine anyway? i suspose there is a market for that. maybe for used taxis like discussed elsewhere here? or for farmers simply replacing the engine in an old workhorse truck.

Is there anyone in Northern California who is doing conversions of older cars into hybrids? I have a 1979 VW van that I would like to convert, but I don't know if it is possible or how much it would cost.

I'm not sure how beneficial a hybrid electric add-on would be.
    I haven't researced the Escape but I do know the Prius and HCH are modified past just the electrics.

Prius is built around a specialized chassis, more aerodynamic, low rolling resistance tires, air dams and much more.

In the differences in the regular Civics and the HCH are air dams, panels underneath cover equipment to reduce drag, redesigned front clip, low rolling resistant tires, heat rejecting glass, electric steering to name a few.

If it were me I wouldn't spend the money on just an electric drop-in system.

Given that the point of hybrid technology is that by adding electric power you can reduce the power of the gas engine, it seems adding an electric system to an existing car would be counter-productive. You'd just be adding more weight and not reducing the size of the gas engine...

Mother Earth News has a hybrid-conversion set of plans (from quite a few years ago). Quite detailed. You could probably send to them for info. I'm trying to find out if anyone has published a more up-to-date set since then. It looks quite involved, and includes having to upgrade the chassis to handle the extra weight of batteries.

I am working on a design that will add auxiliary electric motor drives to the rear wheels of my 1997 Saturn Station Wagon. They will be used for primary power during times when high torque and HP are not required, such as stop/go traffic. They will also provide emergency all wheel drive for occasional use, and limited primary drive power to get home or to a service station if the gasoline engine should become inoperable. The electric motors will also act as generators any time the brake pedal is pressed. The motors and drive train will add about 150 lb and the batteries 200-400 lb. Most of the components could be reused once the vehicle has worn out. Cost of parts will be roughly $3000. I hope to boost my Saturn mileage from its present 30-35 mpg to at least 40-50.

I had heard a few years back, that the city of Austin would give you $2,000 if you converted your car to a hybrid/electric. Is this program still in effect and has it been adapted elsewhere?