+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Honda Civic Performance

I drive the Palisades in NJ to NYC daily and was complaining about 48MPG but I'm not feelin too bad reading everyone else's mileage. I noticed on my return trip, after I fill up, I can get 57 MPG for a short distance but that is the only time. I thought maybe the tank being full had something to do with it. And in response to Linda, my dealer explained the car to me and he didn't understand the general concept himself. I learned more about the car reading this site. (Maybe I shoud e-mail this site to him)

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Honda Civic Performance

Please excuse the previous typos. I don't speak like that.

Honda Civic Performance

Hi I have a 1991 honda civic hatchback. I swapped the engine out for a 1.6L SOHC VTEC-E engine from a 1996 Civic HX. The ECU (computer) is from a 1993 civic EX. I have gotten 39 miles to the gallon going 70mph on a flat interstat with no wind. The engine had 185,000 miles on it at the time and I usually drive very abusive (driving like I am in some kind of race all the time, redlining it and what not). Anyway, I am prowd of my little Civic, and just wanted to brag about it some.

Honda for lifer,
    David

Honda Civic Performance

I would wager that some of you experiencing disappointing mileage with your cars have bike/ski racks and/or rocket boxes on the roof. You can't use an economy car as a truck and expect to get rated mileage. An empty bike rack with wind deflector will take at least 5 to 10% off your mileage. Three bikes up there can drop your mileage by 30 to 35%.

The effect of these things, in fact, is probably much more substantial for a small, relatively aerodynamic vehicle than for a tall SUV.

I am not proposing that people don't use roof racks - you have to put the stuff somewhere - but just be aware that there's a cost attached. And you're still getting better mileage than everyone else.

Honda Civic Performance

If you have not already, you may want to check out the following link.

http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/m...-civiccvt.html

there are about 70 cars and individual notes are added to most. Very good "Real World" Data

Honda Civic Performance

I second the above recommendation regarding real-world mileage. And in fact, counting both manual and automatic (CVT) transmissions, there are over 230 Honda Civic Hybrids in the database.

Naturally there are folks in there who are at either end of the MPG spectrum; the mileage ranges are from the thirties to about sixty. But the average, and the majority of the folks, are around 45-48.

Honda Civic Performance

Has anyone noticed performance issues with their HCH in wet weather?

I bought a 2003 HCH w/ 35,000 miles about a month ago (and LOVE it!) but noticed this week, in the first rain storm since Ive owned it, that the hybrid battery is discharging VERY quickly and is slow to re-charge. Am assuming this is due to the wet weather, damp rotors, etc, but wanted to see if anyone out there had experienced similar issues. The mileage is still GREAT (mid 50s mpg) so no complaints just concerns.

Also, I noticed yesterday that the fan which normally comes on when you park that car didnt related issue?

Honda Civic Performance

In response to JR, rolling resistance increases noticeably on a wet road, to the point that it will decrease your mileage by 10 to 15%. The higher rolling resistance means that, all other things being equal, you will use more gasoline, and, when applicable, more of that stored electricity. In three years of HCH driving I have not noticed any battery usage in wet weather that could be blamed on anything other than the rolling resistance situation.
    Bill

Honda Civic Performance

Anyone had an HX or VX befor getting a Hybrid?

Honda Civic Performance

Just read some posts regarding Civc HX getting supposedly 36 city 45 hiway. I do much better. Here are my last 14 tankfulls. 50.9 49.62 46.40 55.42 48.66 48.34 48.56 50.43 48.29 45.9 53.4 45.39 50.06 52.5. Average is 49.56 mpg for driving 6,903 miles. I am always shocked at the mileage cons reports gets. And looks like most hybrid owners have plenty of room for improve. You've got the right tool and you can beat my figures and you can do so consistantly, my 2000 HX is for those who do not know not a hybrid, powerful for such efficiency at 117 horsepower and weighs 2400. My 91 civic CX had 70 horsepower and weighed 2,000 pounds. In it I averaged 52.5 mpg in an entire year and that was 95 percent city driving. My HX I drive 82 percent hiway. The CX was stock (all original parts)and the HX is a bit modified. It is all about pounds per horse. My CX was around 29 pounds per horse and My HX is around 21. 2400 pounds divided by 117 horsepower equals 20.5 pounds I am carrying per each horsepower. The more pounds each horse carries the better your mileage. Thus compared to my CX my HX can only achieve around 41 city with me driving. Anyway it is all in the driver. I do'nt know what I would average in say a Prius or a Honda hybrid but it would be a lot more than what I average in the HX. I am shopping for a low resistance tire and cannot find many graphs. Any suggestions? The above calculations are a general rule for gas engines, Hybrids are much more efficient per pound due to battery weight.