+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Driving strategy for better gas milage

I thought that some might possibly think that my road to home is mostly downhill, which it is not. Each way is basically a staircase of hills, with the peak about half way and lasting about 5 miles.
    So today I brought my voice recorder along and made these notes. I reset the trip meter in the driveway, leaving for work at 4:30PM.
    A thunderstorm had moved through the area a few hours before but the roads were mostly dried up and there was no wind to speak of, temps mid 60s:

0MPG 0Miles In my driveway
    40.8MPG 1 Mile
    46.5MPG 2 Miles
    53MPG 3 Miles
    54.1MPG 4 Miles
    52.6MPG 5 Miles
    53MPG 6 Miles
    54.5MPG 10 Miles
    56.7MPG 15 Miles
    59MPG 20 Miles
    59.4MPG 23.4 Miles, about to get onto 65MPH limit freeway
    60.1MPG 25 Miles
    60.5MPG 30 Miles
    61.3MPG 35 Miles
    61.6MPG 40 Miles
    63.4MPG 43 Miles, exiting freeway onto 5:30PM rush hour Atlanta city traffic.
    62.8MPG 45 Miles
    62.8MPG 45.2 Miles after climbing 4 stories of parking deck, parking and shut-down.

These figures are my typical statistics.
    If I had to drive under the earlier thunderstorm & rain Id likely parked with 55-60MPG. If a strong head wind would have prevailed Id likely park in the lower 50s.

I suspect that those of us who are in the upper 50s low 60's tank average have about the same statistics?

I'll make my disclaimer:
    These are my personal statistics and most will not get these results.
    Most folks will average about 47MPG in their HCH.
    YMWV

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I bought a 2004 HCH in May 04. A friend of mine with a HCH told me about this site today and thought I should post my results. Hot Georgia has a lot of good tips that I learned by trial and error. Over the course of almost 24,000 miles to date, I am averaging 58.2 mpg. That is city, highway, bumper to bumper at times, a lot of trial and error learning curve, and included a tank last August with the A/C on and a total diregard for gas mileage as an experiment (about 45 mpg ouch). I reset my other trip meter every fill-up and guage my performance one tank of gas at a time (as well as the life of the car performance I mentioned.) I often get 800+ miles from a tank of gas, and once registered 64.5 mpg over the course of a tank last year, but last week the mpg meter was reading 69.2 near the end of a tank of gas and I decided to try to get 900 miles from one tank of gas. The car ran out of gas at 890 miles, so my actual mileage was closer to 67.4 mpg. Today, my trip meter is registering 70.4 mpg with 762.5 miles on this tank. I also still have "4 bars" left on the gas guage. I think 900 miles on this tank is a virtual lock unless I hit some bad weather (the forcast for the next 2 days is only 20-30% chance of rain) or really screw it up.

Is anyone else out there getting this kind of performance?

I used the Gas Mileage calculator on the webpage and found out it was completely Wrong when it figured out the MPG on my vehicle. I own a Chev. Tracker and I get a minimum of 52 to max of 58 mpg and the chart showed 20 mpg. which is something you can't change yourself as it inserts this figure for you. This is completely wrong and therefore makes the rest of the information on the chart come out incorrect also. This should be taken into consideration when someone is thinking about changing to a Hybrid car or whether not to change. I was thinking of changing to the Toyota, but after going through all these charts I can't see why I would change to any other car with this chart for information. If the correct information were there to view and give me a correct idea of which vehicle would actually be best for the type of driving that I do here in Texas things would definately be different. Its hard enough to try to find a car you want with so many on the market without a company making it harder by inserting incorrect information about the vehichle you currently drive. PLEASE Take this into consideration prior to making a purchase. It makes a big difference and you can't return a car like you could a toaster because it didn't work as expected now can you

FYI: The Gas Mileage Impact Calculator on this site uses EPA fuel economy numbers, with a 55% to 45% weight given to city driving. See more about the calculator's methodology on this page:

http://www.hybridcars.com/calculator-methodology.html

Say what?! You average better than 2.5 times the EPA estimates??

That means if you drove a Hummer you could get nearly 40 mpg!! If you drove a midsize sedan, you could get over 65 mpg!

And if you drove a Prius, you would be getting 150 mpg!!

Who needs hybrids, we should just clone *you*.

I've owned a Honda Insight for almost five years now...about 70K miles. My lifetime average is about 58 mpg. When I first bought it...the mileage was a little disappointing until I realized my tire pressure had dropped into the 20s!!. After regularly checking and experimenting my tire pressure...I have achieved better gas mileage. I've tested all kinds of tire pressures and monitored all kinds of performance. Here is my thought: the dealer recommended 38/35 front/rear psi combination would work just fine if tires were self-regulating and could be kept at that pressure all the time. Inflating your tires is a pain. Additionally, the dealer always seems to get the inflation just right. Or maybe it just runs better after the service.

It's true 42 psi all around can give you great gas mileage. But I often drive the wet and nasty trip from WA to CA on I-5 and I want excellent handling and safety. Of course, if I really wanted safety on that trip, I would take the train. In any event here is some sample mileage from my last trip:

Bellingham to Oakland (900 plus miles) 58.2 mph on the way down. Dealer just serviced and filled tires.
    Oakland to Bellingham (900 plus miles) 59.6 mph on the way up. I jacked up the rear tires 40 in Sutherlin, Or.

I have had at least one trip at 69.5 mph - dry weather, slow careful driving. But I haven't done or had any of that for a while. My complaint is that that 69 HP on narrow tires doesn't work well in 35 mph gusts with a highway pockmarked by rain drops and an inch of rain. I just get off and wait for the deluge to stop. Other than that, the car is a marvel. I have made do without air conditioning since I bought it, by the way -even driving through Redding in the summer time.

One more note, I find most filling stations wanting for accessible inflation centers. My advice is get your own compressor and check your tire pressure weekly, especially if you are a heavy commuter.

Hot Georgia,

Are you saying that you get 60+mpg out of a Honda Civic Hybrid(HCH)?

I just bought one las month and im averaging about 40mpg over about 2000 miles total. I had it back to the dealer and the monkeys dropped the air pressure in the tires down to 28psi, it took me a couple of tanks of gas and some frustration before i noticed. I was getting 38mpg as compared to 42mpg when i first bought it. Leave it to the dealer to ruin my mpg.
    Other than driving without the ac, accelerating unnecessarily, using cruise control. what else can i do to increae my gas mileage?
    I am a little disappointed with 40mpg and would like to be up in the mid 40's.
    Advice from anyone would be appreciated.

your driving area is the biggest factor. i also got a honda civic hybrid last august. i worked some 40 miles away, mostly freeway driving (0 to 75 MPG), generally flatish, with stop & go traffic. i got 43 to 45 mpg.

now i work about 10 miles away & drive regular roads with stop signs & 40 MPH speeds. i get 39 MPG now.

BUT i figure any car with my exact driving rought would be getting less except for the other guy working here with a prius.

when i take raod trips to other cities i get back to that 45 MPG.

the gage telling you the running MPG is a blessing & a sore spot. in other cars you'd blissfully drive anywhere thinking you were doing fine. with that gage & exact numbers you finally see reality.

see ya

I routinely get the Transport Canada highway mileage on both our VW TDIs. Our Passat averages 5.7 l/100 km on the highway (42 mpg US/50 mpg Imperial) and our Jetta can average 4.6 (51 mpg US, 62 mpg Imperial) provided I respect speed limits (100 km/h = 62 mph up here, on very rough roads; in fact on smoother US roads I can easily get the same highway average at 10% higher speeds). The other trick is to avoid hard acceleration, only as much as you need to safely get up to speed.

As for inflation pressure: blowout risk is very low at the max. sidewall pressure. The tire is designed to take that pressure (cold) and any additional pressure from tire heating at speed. Blowout risk is greater if you go lower than the car's placarded inflation pressure: the flexing of the tire leads to sidewall overheating and possible failure.

Going higher than the placard value (up to the sidewall value) WILL however affect handling. On dry, paved roads I find that the difference is negligeable, just a slightly harsher ride. However on loose gravel the car can become squirrely and downright dangerous (at least the Jetta; the Passat suspension design seems to be less affected or perhaps it is the Continental's 44psi limit compared to the Jetta's MXV4's 51 psi limit). In any case, in winter, I always go with the placarded limit (on 4 good snow tires, in my case Nokian RSI).

There is no doubt the higher pressures have a positive impact on fuel economy. However, respecting the car's placarded limits, and driving conservatively, is probably adequate for most folks.

I don't know much about hybrid driving but I'm guessing that for hybrids, like any vehicle (diesel/gas non-hybrid), keeping a steady speed, staying within posted limits, and avoiding hard acceleration, will get you benefits (in my case about a 20% improvement compared to driving at the standard 20 km/h over the limit up here in Quebec).

Mike

With a hybrid the best strategy is to accelerate to cruising speed and then coast.

Basically force the use of the electric motor without overusing the gas motor and then when you get to cruising speed try to minimize the use of the gas motor by backing off as much as possible.

Punch it and glide ... I guess.

With this strategy in my Prius I can get 54 mpg on my commute to work with probably an average speed of 45 to 50 mph and about 30 minutes of driving. Once I even got that classic stair step in mileage on the console.

My best tank has only been 49 mpg though because the shopping trips usually drop it down.