+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Driving strategy for better gas mileage

Hi, I'm writing from New Zealand. We're currently paying $1.70 per litre of petrol - I think the American equivalent is around 3 litres to your gallon. Can anyone please tell me what tyre pressure I should use on a 1998 Suzuki Cultus Crescent four door sedan.

At what mileage should I replace my cam belt?

Many thanks
    Bernieanne

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I'm writing from New Zealand. Can someone please recommend a good tyre pressure for me for economy of fuel for my 1998 Suzuki Cultus Crescent 4 door sedan (1.3ltr engine.) We're presently paying $1.70 per litre of petrol - there are around 3 litres to your American gallon. At what mileage should I be looking at getting a new cam belt? We speak in kilometres here.

Many thanks
    Bernieanne

1. Every new engine requires breaking in (several thousand miles) before it has optimal MPG whether it is a hybrid or conventional vehicle.

2. At least in New England, we have summer gasoline (less evaporative) and winter gasoline. This could potentially affect mileage.

3. Be fanatical about maintaing tire pressure, especially when seasonal outside temperatures go down.

I (pre-Accord Hybrid) used to be a "pedal to the metal" driver and have completely changed my driving habits since this purchase in Sept, 05. The EPA estimates on the Accord Hybrid are 29/37. After MY break in period (learning to drive all over again), I regularly achieve 33/38 with the car. The Accord was unfortunately designed with a 6 and higher hp than the conventional Accord instead of as a 4 to get phenominal mileage rather than just "good" mpg. Now Honda is DROPPING production of the Accord Hybrid, compounding their initial error, instead of designing a car to compete with the anticipated mileage of the Toyota Camry Hybrid. WHAT A MISTAKE!!

I also want to say that if ALL cars har an instantaneous mpg guage, then MOST drivers would also change their driving habits. It is a rude awakening when you see what your habits do to the money pouring out your tailpipe!

We have a 05 Prius and get 66mpg in around town and short 50mph driving. Fully loaded camping gear ect with 4 adults 70mph up Blue Mountains 45mpg with ac on full. Starts on battery everytime unless my wife had heater on full (usally). Great car and peppy pickup.

06 Prius, Enjoy the drive. I have been getting between 50 to 53+ on mileage at speeds of 60- 70.

I watch the display that show the yellow graphs.
    The other side of the display that shows the tires.

I also us the air a lot. I am in NV and it get mighty warm. I find a back draft that hurts the ears when the windows are open. Does anyone else get that?
    Also, is anyone else getting a poping sound when passing up hill?

Thanks

-I have had an Escape hybrid since July '05 and can normally count on the low 30's. It improved substantially after it was broken in.
    -Are you SURE that you can coast in Neutral in this vehicle? I would hate to save a few ounces of fuel only to find that the tranny dies too soon. CVT gearboxes are quite expensive to fix, and unlike a regular transmission, detecting when it is "out of whack" would probably be difficult. Any (good) advice would be appreciated.

No url

I'm smiling

Just traded my 05 Accord Hybrid for an 06 Civic Hybrid. My first full tank has been recorded and the results are as follows. 647.7 miles on the odometer to the light coming on, odometer mpg reading 51.5, gallons to refill 12.06, actual mpg 53.71. Needless to say, I am very happy. The tank was approximately 37% highway, 63% local. The car gets better mileage around town & on short trips than on the highway. Drive at the speed limit all the time and feather the accelerator when possible. Driving habits make a HUGE difference. This site has been a great help in maximizing mileage!!