+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Driving strategy for better gas mileage

Afox12, there are many reasons the FEH will not shut the ICE off. A/C max, defroster on, (cabin temp.) CAT and engine temp not hot enough, low battery soc are reasons. When you said snow and at night, it sounds like its just to cold for perfect operations of a hybrid.

Under 40mph, the FEH can go EV by shifting to "L" or tapping the brake pedal a few times. It is a good sign that you could hold 35mph on a flat road with the AWD. Things get easier as you learn the tricks.

As far as the MPG display, its better than doing the math at fill-up most of the time. The big problem is more with filling the tank level the same everytime. If the FEH sits on any kind of slope, the fill maybe up to 2 1/2 gallons off. Sometimes I can only get 25 miles before the fuel gauge needle moves off of full, other times, I can make it 125 miles. My scangauge tracks the nav sys darn close if I reset both at a stop in EV for the day. After a day, the two gauges start to move apart based on day readings of the scangauge and 15min average readings on the Nav sys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

One way to answer doubts about the effects of the car vs. the driver on mileage would be to test a high-performing car with different drivers. I've noticed that my girlfriend gets about 4 mpg lower than me driving my 2004 HCH. Same car, same gas, same driving conditions, different results.

My explanation, by the way, is that I have more experience not only as a driver but as a bicycle racer, where avoiding sudden speed changes is critical for conserving energy. I'm better at anticipating slowdowns and coasting, and making gradual speed changes all the time, while she tends to drive with a bit more jerkiness that I can feel from the passenger seat.

I don't doubt that there are differences between cars -and- drivers, but some tests like this might help establish some normal ranges.

Afox12, there are many reasons the FEH will not shut the ICE off. A/C max, defroster on, (cabin temp.) CAT and engine temp not hot enough, low battery soc are reasons. When you said snow and at night, it sounds like its just to cold for perfect operations of a hybrid.

Under 40mph, the FEH can go EV by shifting to "L" or tapping the brake pedal a few times. It is a good sign that you could hold 35mph on a flat road with the AWD. Things get easier as you learn the tricks.

As far as the MPG display, its better than doing the math at fill-up most of the time. The big problem is more with filling the tank level the same everytime. If the FEH sits on any kind of slope, the fill maybe up to 2 1/2 gallons off. Sometimes I can only get 25 miles before the fuel gauge needle moves off of full, other times, I can make it 125 miles. My scangauge tracks the nav sys darn close if I reset both at a stop in EV for the day. After a day, the two gauges start to move apart based on day readings of the scangauge and 15min average readings on the Nav sys.

Gary, Thanks again for the valuble advice. Bought the '05 FEH last night. Still learning all the ins and outs but have been able to engage EV mode more and more with your astute advice. Managed to get it to go half way up my 1/4 mile driveway in EV mode. That is so cool to go uphill and burn no gas.
    I did get some wheel spin however at one point as my driveway is being undermined by a seasonal spring. I got off the pedal immediately, the ICE was on at that time, I slowly eased on the pedal again and the wheels did not spin anymore. I would be very interested in hearing other people's stories regarding the 4x4 system on their FEH. Wheelspin of course contributing to lower mpg. Yes the energydisplay is pretty darn handy Gary, it really is teaching me how to modulate my pedal pressure and when. Thanks to everyone who has posted info on this link it has been a great learning experience reading through it. I'll try to post things here if I come up with anything to note. My home 800 feet above the surrounding towns requires going uphill everydayto go home, which I am begining to suspect is going to hurt my hypermile numbers. So far my test drive off the car lot was my best mpg by the display of 29.5 mpg. Today was 28.5 on a trip to a town 40 miles away, mostly rural hwy miles, speed not over 62mph, temps in the 50's, no rain, no real wind but some serious traffic problems on the road at times not allowing me to maximize the throttle feathering.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what my commute is going to average in the end.

Well afox12. congrads on your purchase. I've heard no complaints on the AWD's traction, so I think your going to be happy with it. It sounds like you have a perfect driveway to slowly climb and drain your battery for shut down. The warm up can recharge your battery on the way down when the ICE has to run anyway. Timing is everything with stop lights and all, so coasting in neutral on flat roads can help maintain speed and is safe on the eCVT. The FEH can be towed with all for wheels on the road up to 75mph because there is no torque converter. Neutral takes the load off the gear set and you can almost coast or glide for ever.

If you really want to save gas, get a scangauge and watch your instant MPG as you drive. The cost is $129 and does so much more if you want to learn how to save fuel. It plugs in just above the brake pedal and sit on your dash in about 3 minutes. See scangauge.com for details.

There is so much you can learn about this complex SUV, that I can't begin to tell you. Read some of my post and feel free to ask questions.

Purchased a 01 HIH about 3 months ago with 56k and a lifetime of 58.9mpg.-looking to bring that past 60! Peak mpg on my commute has been 90.2 over 19 miles and commutes have gone from 55mpg in 15 degree Feb to 70-79mpg in the nice warm 60 degree April. The 90 mpg was at 55mph drafting slightly (about 50 yards back) and included town driving in both the start and end. Best mileage so far in heavy urban driving was 79 MPG over 45 miles with speeds in excess of 80mph to keep up with traffic.
    This car is the real deal-if you pay attention to the fuel consumption gauge, accelerate briskly (but not floored) and learn the art of feathering the throttle at cruise (VERY subtle pedal modulations are worth up to 10mpg in my manual HIH without loss of speed). The feathering is key-I cramped my calf like crazy the first 2 weeks until I got this figured out. Looking to break 750 miles in a tank this summer-current best is 620 on 9.4gallons-though it is going up 20-40 per tank! The coolest thing is the Insight has changed our driving so much that our Subaru Forester gets about 10-20% better mpg (28mpg in mixed 30+ on highway)now that my wife and I are driving the Insight.

Look for additional updates on onestraw.blogspot.com

I've owned a '06 HCH since Nov 2005 and it currently has 19,000 miles on it. I have been meticulous about tracking the gas mileage and rely on visual capping of the tank as opposed to the MPG tripmeter.

Up until the last 1500 miles the lifetime mpg was 50 combined. Since inflating all four tires from 35 to 40psi the mileage has improved to 54mpg. The weather and other driving conditions have been fairly consistent since upping the pressure.

That said it s my opinion that if you hope to achieve the EPA mileage for the '06 HCH you must be a non aggressive driver, not a "go with the flow type". The later type of driver is one who feels compelled to drive at least 70mph to keep up with the flow on the interstate and who will often accelerate to 80mph or greater when passing.

My strategy for interstate driving is to stay in the right lane and set the cruise for 60mph. If necessary to pass i'll drive 65-70mph in the left lane but i've had good success at 60mph uninterrupted in the right lane. Most drivers will not discipline themselves to this strategy and will argue that the 60mph type is a menace. I simply do not agree with this argument.

For non interstate driving my strategy is to coast as much as possible. If you see that the traffic light l/4 mile ahead has just changed to red why keep driving at 55 when you'll only have to stop anyway. By slowing to 25-30mph chances are you won't have to come to a complete stop. Acceleration from a stop is very detrimental to FE.

In addition i've had a block heater installed for keeping the engine warmer when parked for an extended periodin cold weather. One of my main gripes about the HCH is that it can take from 5-10 minutes for the auto stop feature to engage. If you have a two minute red light, a mile into your daily commute you'll be wasting gas while idling. The block heater has reduced by about 50% the time it takes for the auto stop to engage.

In summary if you can discipline yourself to keep your interstate speed at 60mph and if you make a habit of coasting to stops there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to achieve 50mpg with your '06HCH and probably more if you up the tire pressure.

Dave, as I have reported on my blog here (see for instance http://www.hybridcars.com/blogs/hybr...er-hypermiling) I have gotten 56.3 MPG at 55 MPH and 54.1 MPG at 60 MPH for my 49-mile commute in my 2003 HCH (which has over 100,000 miles on it). And I wouldn't apologize for driving 60 MPH on the freeway, as the truck speed limit is 55 MPH (although it's rare to find one driving that slow).

Video Link - xttp://today.reuters.com/tv/videoChannel.aspx?storyid=8aaf73d73a8f85e9a947b418 d50275b52e919e25

Apr. 23 - More than 1,200 people have stripped off in the Spanish town for a nude photo shoot.

The shoot was organised by Spencer Tunick, a U.S. artist famous for his photos of naked crowds in public spaces.

The shoot began inside a convention centre, but moved to the beach right outside the complex where participants seemed more confident and comfortable. The session lasted five hours and ended with claps and thanks from the American photographer.

-
    http://music-trades.com/investment/ - Investment
    http://music-trades.com/stock/ - Stock

Now have 110 K miles on 03 Civic hybrid with 5 speed, have gotten 65-70 mpg suburbs and 80+ mpg hiway almost entire 3+ yr lifespan of car. During winter temps- these #'s drop about 10-15 %. All done b/c of the manual Xmission and ability to coast ! These #'s are using mileage computer on car- Am very happy with my gas $ saved !

I'm very confused about the people who say that hybrids cost so-o-o much more than gasoline cars. This past Nov. I was considering a new Subaru Forester to replace my 2001. After reading about the Prius, I went to my local Toyota dealer for some info. Since I had done my homework on comparing a new Prius with a new Forester, I felt empowered. The Toyota dealership offered $1,000 more on my trade-in, which made the price of my Prius $2,500 less than the price of a comparable Forester. With great gas mileage per gallon, I'm a very happy lady. Those who cannot understand the "hybrid philosophy" will say anything to demean those of us who do.