+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SPEED

SPEED

I was totally annoyed looking at cars that they were so slow... I don't want a car that's 2 hp. This looks pretty cool.
    http://www.livescience.com/environme...green_car.html

Are they actually making "normal" people cars that'll drive fast?
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

SPEED

The problem with cars of this type (in this case, propane-powered) is that there are no "propane gas stations" on every other street corner. There are gasoline stations on every other street corner, but gasoline is neither cheap nor clean.

When you talk about speed, you are probably really talking about acceleration...the feeling you get when you "floor it."

Unfortunately, hybrid cars aren't made with speed in mind. Speed is a distant 3rd or 4th place consideration when ppl buy cars nowadays anyway. Most ppl are looking for cars that can take them, all their crap, and all their kids wherever they wanna go, which is why SUV's are all the rage. Next would be fuel efficiency, cause $30 to fill a gas tank sucks. Right after that MIGHT be how well it accelerates.

SO, until ppl stop wanting SUV's and start wanting faster cars, the car manufacturers probably won't make any hybrid sport cars. To my knowledge, the only hybrid 2-door coupe in production in the forseeable future is the Honda Insight, and it might not be around much longer.

I guess we could all start a petition for a Corvette Hybrid...hehehe!

SPEED

I think "normal" people do drive hybrids--they're just maximizing multiple variables rather than just one. There are a lot more benefits to driving than just getting there fast--especially since most highways have too many cars to really go fast anyway.

Since, pound for pound, electric motors have more torque than gasoline engines, down the road we will see better acceleration from hybrids as the motor technology gets better and the cars become lighter, thereby increasing the power to weight ratio.

Consider: a 2000 lb car carrying a 200 lb driver is only using 9% of its energy to do what a car is supposed to do, namely move the person from point A to point B. The other 91% of the gasoline is being used to accelerate and move that big hunk of metal. By lightening up the vehicle, that 91% of waste can be freed up to move people instead.

These light cars will also be safer too: think Indy or Formula 1 racers. They are light and very safe. Sooner or later this technolog will have to be transferred to the consumer market.....I hope.

Hybrids may not have the best acceleration and/or top speed now, but they will down the road. And with the money hybrid car drivers save on gasoline, we'll be able to buy the newer cars as they are available.

SPEED

i just did a loop from los angeles area to pheonix & back. i have a 2004 honda civic hybrid. i did 75 MPH in california & 80 MPH in arizona. (posted speed limits in CA is 70, 75 in AR). the car drove very solid ( 2 hour drive thru snow on the way home). the ride took five hours (cruise control), non stop to pheonix. i know if i didn't think i could get caught speeding, i could have set cruise control at 95 MPH and done well.

although acceleration in the civic may not be like a 70's mussle car, it is very strong. for the kind of driving i do ~ freeways ~ acceleration really doesn't matter. we hit the speeds and hold it for a few hours. or we do stop & go at 15 MPH. meawhile acceleration to get into lanes is better then my old chevy van or chevy pickup truck.

the whole trip with the honda civic cost me under $35 for some 700 miles total drive.

SPEED

I recently test drove a 2005 Civic Hybrid and a 2004 Prius. The Civic had no power at all. It was horrible. But the Prius was really good. I was really impressed with it's power and response. Maybe it was just that it was so much better than the Civic? (and I have always owned Hondas!)

SPEED

"Perception is not always reality."

The HCH is only 1.5 seconds slower at 0-60 mph and only 3/4 second slower at 1/4 mile acceleration. Not a drastic difference, and expected since the Prius has a slightly more powerful motor.

I have an '05 HCH, and the acceleration is fine for me (not at all as powerful as the SUV I gave up, but getting triple the mileage is WAY cooler).

I suppose what one considers "all around better" is in the eye of the beholder. While I could've gotten modestly better mileage had I gotten a Prius, the yuck factor wouldn't have been worth it, as I don't like the Prius "styling" at all. I like the fact the my HCH has all the great qualities of the Civic but with hybrid technology.

But, to each his own -- I'm just glad more and more people are choosing hybrids, be it the Prius, HCH, etc. etc.

SPEED

The hybrid car is awsome. I have one and it is the best and i can now say I pay a whole lot less on gas.

SPEED

Honda Accord is the cloesest your going to get. (so far)

SPEED

If you are looking for a "fast" car, be aware that speed and economy at the present aret enemies. Yea, the HAH has 240 hp or so and is rated for 30/37 mpg. If you use that 240 hp, there is no way you are going to get those numbers. Will hybrids go fast enough to not be a safety hazard? Yes. I have had my Prius up to 90mph on the freeway, without any problem. Others report 100+ and getting about 30 mpg. Traffic rarely lets someone safely drive this fast, what is the point of needing a car to go that fast? Not to mention getting incarcarated and having your license revoked if you are driving that fast.

Notice how the aricle did not mention what the mileage was while going 160mpg. Is it just me, or is this "I want power and space that I will hardly use" has gotten us to be so dependent on fossil fuels?

SPEED

The biggest benefit of hybrid technology (actually, its just the electric part) is that one actually has the ability to get good performance (acceleration) without having to sacrifice average fuel economy. True, driving fast and accelerating fast will never be as economical as going slow, however, in an ICE, there's a huge penalty for speed.

The hybrids currently on the road only offer the minimum benefit of the electric drive that will give measurable economy benefit. Those of us who were lucky enough to drive the EV1 learned that one could have a car that got the equivalent of more than 100 mpg (the EV1 ran off a battery so our 'gasoline engine' was located a long way away) yet could blow away the average sports car. One could get worried looks from all sports cars (0-30mph in 3 sec, 0-60mph in 7 sec).
    Of course when blowing away Mustangs and MB SLK's at the light, one was not getting 100 mpg equivalent but probably only about 60 mpg equivalent >;-)

Once the auto companies start putting in high-torque electric motors and more battery capacity, we'll start to see good speed performance from hybrids. They aren't very anxious to do this though since they'll have trouble selling their high priced, supercharged muscle cars if any car can get the same performance. In the mean time, the people who are willing to pay extra for the hybrid are generally ecology types who seem to be happy with pathetic performance as long as the car gets good gas mileage.

The technology supports both. Eventually, the manufacturers will too.