+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ok, so here's a question for

Ok, so here's a question for you all, regarding tires, the less resistance the better correct? So I'm asumming narrow "street" tires give better mpg than wide "off road tires. But, what about tire "height"? Would "low profile" tires mounted on larger rims be better than standard tires which are twice the height (in rubber)?
    I'm thinking about getting super light aluminum alloy rims and mounting narrow, low profile "racing type" tires on them and wondering what this will do to my mpg?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I consistently run my tires

I consistently run my tires within 2 pounds of pressure below the maximum. I've noted no problems with wear over many many years and vehicles. However, you will need to keep a close eye on temperature changes or a lightly loaded vehicle versus a heavily loaded vehicle in heat. Tire pressure can change considerable based upon air temperature and possibly road temperature do to the heating of the sun.

My Nokian WR-G2s are great.

My Nokian WR-G2s are great. Excellent traction in inclement weather and minimal to no loss of mpg. they're still breakign in but I love them so far.

On Tire Size: Remember, that

On Tire Size:
    Remember, that if you have a different tire size, and actual speed is different than what is displayed, the mileage is different also.

So the AWESOME mileage you are getting might just simply be a mis-calculation of the actual miles driven.

The best way to verify this, is reset the odometer and verify with GPS. Do this at more than just a few miles, 10 being the easiest to calculate.

Remember the logic is backward in most thinking to speed to miles driven.
    If you speed is faster than it should be (say 65 when your going 60), then your odometer will say you went 65 miles in one hour, when you only went 60.

Vice versa, if it says 55 when you are going really 60, you will go 60 miles as opposed to 55 miles.

Use the GPS, know the % of error, multiple your mileage by that %, Plus or Minus, and get Real Mileage per tank.

Then you can be accurate when calculating.
    ...and if you didnt know the calculation that the vehicle does is ALWAYS inaccurate.

On Air Pressure:
    Tire Manufactures rate the tire pressure for a given load. Your vehicle might be over or under that load, just understand that. This being said, you can read on the Hyper-Miler's Sites (the geeks) that they are running 10,20 and even 50% more air in the tires than the MFG recommends. User your own judgement, but mine is that if the tires are probably safety rated for a given pressure, and the maximum burst pressure is over DOUBLE of that. So 44psi is MAX, 60 is not un-heard of, and the Hyper Miler geeks have been running those kind of pressures for the lifetime of the tires.

To each his own, mileage may vary, don't try at home, we are professionals, and dont shoot cannon balls through neighborhood houses or vans.