+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hybrid w/turbine engine

Robert,
    I opened a new discussion topic "Electric car issues" to address these electric car things since I feel this topic should stick with the turbine concept - another very cool possibility.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

This is the most sensible

This is the most sensible solution. I've looked at these pages for months and no one is working on this.
    What about using a Hatz one cylinder diesel engine to power the generator.

A lot of the comments on

A lot of the comments on this page refer to using turbines as a sole power source, not as part of an turbine/electric hybrid. The "too fast, too slow" and "too much fuel" arguments relate to this as does the "gearing down" argument. You don't have to gear down when you're powering an electric motor, nor will you use as much gas. Also, the smaller the engine, the easier it would be to keep it insulated and cooled. I think the biggest problem is still mass production of the more exotic materials -- although I would suppose that this could be dealt with given the right motivation (political will?).

I was wondering if anyone

I was wondering if anyone knows of a company that makes small turboshaft motors or generators?
    I'm in a college competion to make a hybrid oneseater race car. I would love to test these engines to see what king of efficiency can be obtained with a series setup.
    For my application I propably need something with less than 100 hp if you know of anything let me know.

thanks

M-DOT makes mirco turbines

M-DOT makes mirco turbines for DARPA of 1kw in size. What school are you in?

Volvo did make a diesel

Volvo did make a diesel powered turbine hybrid in the 1990's. The turbine would power a generator, that in turn would supply power to the electric motors. Looked just like a normal volvo car, turbine was small, and fit in the engine bay. If I remember correct, it had a range of 800 miles on a full tank of diesel. US would not allow it into the country from what I remember. An American company later came out with a similar car concept, but they had no intentions to do anything with it. Hence Toyota took the same concept and applied a piston engine to it, now they have the gas electric hybrid.

Does anybody know what the

Does anybody know what the emissions out put would be for using one possilbly two micro turbines to power generators, say in the 1-2 Kw/hr range? I am also curious to know how efficient the new class of microturbines, such as those made by Capstone and Honeywell, are? It seems that the weight savings alone would make this promising. Finally, why has it taken so long to make minivans, full size vans, trucks and SUVs effective hybrids. With better low end torque for towing and off road, and a chasis better suite to take the weight of batteries, it seems like a no brainer, am I missing something?

capstone turbines

capstone turbines
    http://www.microturbine.com/

Anonymous, you are

Anonymous, you are forgetting about Chrysler turbine car of the late 1960' early 70's. They where on the sixth generation of a turbine when the plug was pulled. Because the government was bailing them out and decided that the turbine was too new and could not be trusted for further development. At the end, the gas mpg was around 18 mpg. They where not using very exotic parts. Given half a chance they might have come up with ceramics that met the requirements. The exhaust temp. at the tailpipe was around 200 degrees.

You have almost no knowledge

You have almost no knowledge of turbines. Please do some research (like the turbine-powered Chrysler from the 70's) before you make any more comments