+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Actual Mileage for Ford Escape Hybrid

Wood, the way the FEH is setup, a charger would damage the computer system and battery. There is some good reading about how everything works in the Ford 2005 Escape Hybrid Powertrain Control / Emission Diagnosis Service Manual. Its $45.00 at the helminc.com website. I recommend it to all FEH owners. I got a full set of FEH manuals on EBay for $111.00, but I was very lucky to find them there.

You can mess this car up from just changing the air filter if you don't know the "Cautions" in the Service Manuals. The system on the FEH can have something wrong with it and still run ok. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and Transaxle Control Module (TCM) software and hardware has things like Keep Alive Memory (KAM) chips which stores information about the vehicle operating conditions. There is a network of computers in the FEH that comunicate with each other. The TCM is a robot and takes orders from the PCM. It may make a mistake and the PCM can tell it how to correct itself. Its these mistakes that are stored in the KAM which Ford Techs can retrieve to fix the problem.

Also, a point that most of you do not know is the fact that the 2005 FEH does not have a Passive Anti Theft (PAT) system. This is the blinking red light on the dash and programed key that are on most Ford vehicles. Good news is you can have cheap keys made for your FEH. Bad news is, the PCM will not stop someone from starting you FEH and drive away. The parts on the FEH are probably worth more than what you paid for the vehicle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I have 4800 miles on my FEH now and the besy mileage I have ever gotten so far is 24.2. That sucks! I am a mechanic too so I understand ully about the throttle down, driving conditions, heavy foot, everything...Ford can't give a reason either. I have done everything driving conditions wise to the "tricks" mentioned in all these post...reving up then coasting, easing the pedal, staying in electric mode the longest, etc. etc. Check my air pressure- nothing gives me more than 24.2. That is horrible. I can't believe how all these people are getting in the 30's. I wouldn't complain if I could get 28 MPG, but that seems like a long shot. This vehicle has become the worse deal I have ever purchased. I wished I never would have bought it because the primary reason I purchased it was soley for the fuel mileage, which it DOES NOT get. I think I have bad luck and got a bag egg from the factory because mine doesn't put out so matter what you do. I thought it was the "break-in" but come on, surely in 4800 miles it is broken in already....

DMS,

You don't mention how long your trips are. The biggest thing that kills fuel economy in a hybrid (any hybrid) is short trips. If the engine doesn't ever get warmed up, the computer won't let it shut off.

If you can combine trips such that you get 20 minutes or more in per trip you will get much better fuel economy.

DMS,

Are you Josef Anon the mechanic?

No, I am not that anon charcter....Most of my trips are 20 min or less but on each trip the vehicle is warm enough to go into EV mode b/c it does on every trip, even the short ones. It warms up pretty quick and goes into the EV mode a lot and I watch my digital economy meter to try and maintain it in the high range for most of the time, that's why I don't understand why I'm only getting like 250 miles to a tank of gas. It seems like it's in hybrid mode a lot and would be putting out high numbers but no matter what my driving style or how I can it or try to change it I am not getting anything higher than 24.2 MPG. I feel I got a bad "seedling" out of the factory..It must have been a friday when mine was built. It's just not getting what it's supposed to, especially in comparison to all these post. I am in the process of trying to commuincate to Ford headquarters my concerns with the fuel milage here. I want to get the word out to them that this thing isn't what it's cracked up to be at all & no one seems to know or has been able to figure out why. It's just weird. It just doesn't amke any sense at all. It just frustrates the hell out of me that's all...

I have heard a couple of cases of lower than anticipated mileage in the Escape, but I've also heard several cases of well over EPA mileage.

So far we've been unable to figure out what the difference is. I have a 4wd model with about 10,500 miles and am getting right around 29 MPG with my regular commute (about 30 minutes each way, anything from freeway speeds to stop and go driving). Some folks are approaching 40MPG.

I do know the "sweet spot" for mileage on the Escape appears to be in the 40-45 MPH range. Speeds above or below that see a drop off of efficiency.

Ok DMS, your not Anon but if 24.2 MPG is your best average than something is wrong here. A combination of the worst driving conditions (fast traffic, short trips, long lights, Max A/C etc.) could drop your mileage to this range. With 5,000 miles (20 tanks @ 250 miles) you should know if its your conditions, driving habits (or both) or the FEH has a problem.

What I hear you say is, its a problem with the FEH. I'm getting between 30-36 MPG combo with the A/C on max about half the time and normal the other half this hot summer. This is with less than 30 min. trips. My best mileage was 40.25 with many tanks between 38-40.25 MPG before the required use of max A/C.

I have never had a tank below 29 MPG in my FWD FEH so I cannot help you with your problem. I will say my FEH has performed alot better than I expected and I'm very pleased with it. Also, there has been alot of talk about break-in and the FEH not having much of one. I've seen an increase in EV MPH from 35 MPH to 38MPH at around 7,000 miles. Things are still getting better but I will say I was getting 40 MPG with only 1,500 miles on my FEH with no A/C.

If you don't think the problem is you or bad driving conditions, I'd be all over Fords ass by now if it were my FEH.

Hey DMS-

So sorry for your bad mileage experience. I get 30-32 with my front wheel drive FEH, but I recently took a trip up interstate 5 where high speeds, max A/C and a full load brought my mpg down to 22...but these were extremes. I hope your dealer and Ford are quick to respond.

Best,
    Joan

Joan, its one thing to get 22 MPG on a trip and having 24.2 as your best MPG in 5,000 miles and 20 tanks of gas.

One draw back of the FEH I found was how it still keeps a high RPM after reaching a fast acceleration. The power assist guage will back off but the ICE will keep that high RPM way to long and waste gas. With a heavy load, the problem is worst.

One easy trick is to use the power assist (electric motor) for that fast acceleration and then back off at 4,000 RPM's to idle and use the electric motor to get to the speed (70MPH) in a higher gear. At your desired speed, back off to idle the speed at a normal RPM and let the overdrive setting adjust the RPM. This will save alot of gas that is wasted by the FEH system.

A strong head wind will also kill your MPG. If you have a 15 MPH head wind at 70 MPH, You are burning gas as if you were going 85 MPH but only moving at 70 MPH. Look at your TACH and you will find the added RPM to the normal 70 MPH reading you normally get. More RPM means more gas waste. In a case like this it is better to lower your speed to say 60 MPH because you will waste less fuel at 75 MPH (60 + 15 head wind). You might get say 28 MPG instead of say 22 MPG at 85 MPH (70 + 15 head wind).

That said, enjoy the tail wind!

I've done everything there is to do. I've done the rev up to 4000 RPM and then coast and it backs off. Most of my trips are 20 min or less but, like I said, I think it's a ford problem with mine b/c out of all the times I get it to drop into the EV mode it doesn't get good milage. Actually when I baby it I drop off .1-.3 MPG then when I drive agressively. It's weird, and oh...btw I never use max a/c. I live in New England and don't need max a/c so it's dropping into EV a lot but not getting good gas milage. I got a lemon I'm afraid. The only other thing I can think of is that CT adds ethynol to the petro up here and maybe that's why I'm not getting good fuel efficiency is b/c the gas up here isn't pure gasoline...it's gasohol.