+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

I'm thinking of getting a

I'm thinking of getting a Escape 4wd hybrid but wondering about traction in icy/snowy conditions. What's your experience in Utah?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

The Escape Hybrid is known

The Escape Hybrid is known for great winter traction. Going thru snow--in a safe manner--is no problem. No one should drive on iced over road conditions as it is not safe.

Ya know: I thought about

Ya know:

I thought about this yesterday and realized that the heaviest thing in the car besides the engine is probably the battery in the back, its a good thing, for rear wheel traction.

-paul

Just received a 2008 iAWD

Just received a 2008 iAWD Hybrid 2 weeks ago. NJ hilly suburbs to New York City commute. Averaging 27 MPG so far. Mix of highway and complete dead stop traffic. Very happy so far. My CRV got only 22MPG or less under these conditions. I am not too interested in changing the way I drive. If I drive the same as I always do and get 27 I am thrilled. I can do a whole week on 1/2 tank. My CRV- a whole week 3/4 tank- it makes a difference. Yesterday went through the entire Lincoln tunnel on battery power alone. Very nice. Also- a GREAT looking car. Drives way better than I thought it would (did not test drive one so bought it on faith).

njdriver: Your mileage will

njdriver: Your mileage will probably improve somewhat as the car breaks in and you learn to work with it a little more to maximize your efficiency.

I took a trip to Milwaukee (about 120 mile round trip) to attend a hybrid owners group meet and got 33mpg on the round trip, mostly highway miles. Once you see the mpg's creeping higher, you'll be addicted and push for more.

I am a Minnesotan, I have

I am a Minnesotan, I have been seriously considering the Ford Escape Hybrid and have tirelessly looked online for a site that could explain to me how people are liking this vehicle. I am very excited about this site as I can read about all the experiences people are having. I currently am a mini van driver and receive 19-22 mpg so anything above that will make me happy. My concern was winter driving and how it will do cuz its MN and winter is almost all year lol and how it handles with the wind. I love my mini van but with the kids moving out I can be picky now.

Thanks everyone for their comments, I am excited about test driving.

Tammy -- We live in

Tammy --

We live in southern Wisconsin and had a pretty rough winter this year. Our 2008 FEH did an admirable job handling all the snow we got, cutting through 12 inches or more at times.

Understand, though, that your mileage will drop in the winter for a variety of reasons. It's true of any car but you notice it more with a hybrid.

The Escape is a great vehicle, we've owned a number of them, and the hybrid just makes it all that much better.

I have parents that live in

I have parents that live in Northern Wisconsin and the FEH had no trouble handling winter. You want to make sure you get an engine block heater with your vehicle. It significantly shortens your warmup time. The colder weather will drop your mileage for a variety of reasons including that cold air is denser than warm air and the computer system injects more fuel because of it. If you want to maximize fuel efficiency, then you want to go with the FWD. Tires make a difference and the stock Continental EcoPlus tires are not the best for winter conditions. I ran the Goodyear Triple Treads during the winter and was very happy with it.

Mdensch, I remember reading

Mdensch,

I remember reading something about a guy that was getting real bad gas mileage on his hybrid. He was not only disappointed but desperate to find out why. For months he sought an answer to his question, why was everyone around the country getting better gas mileage then He.

For some reason, like months or closer to a year later, either for vacation or a child's move to college, he took the hybrid on a trip from some where north (he lived there) to like Ohio or West Virginia, He noticed the gas mileage went up "It got better". I guess on his way home, He noticed that some 18 wheelers had covers over their grilles for the cold and there sparked an idea.

He cut a piece of cardboard out to some dimensions he figured out to block some of the cold air coming on to the engine from the grille, not all of it but some of it. His gas mileage went up. So he figured out that when the car is working on battery and the engine falls beneath a certain temperature, the engine will start whether you need the power or not. Hence the gas milage goes down. Now this was an older hybrid, so I'm not sure what would happen in todays hybrid.

I did notice on Fueleconomy.gov one guy put 22MPG for his 08 escape hybrid. I noticed he bought the hybrid just before the winter season and he lives in MASS. We got hit hard this year, so I agree with his findings, but if 22 is the lowest he got, its still a lot better than a conventional engine which would get 16 MPG under the same conditions, my Rodeo did this winter got the low 16 MPG, where I would get 19 in the summer. Cant't wait for the 09's hybrids to come out.

Just food for thought!! You really need to do you math here if your going to copy him.

The Escape Hybrid is known

The Escape Hybrid is known for great winter traction. Going thru snow--in a safe manner--is no problem. No one should drive on iced over road conditions as it is not safe.

see more http://car-user.blogspot.com